3rd Enchanter tome

As a guy whos played enchanter a fair amount of time, i really like the idea of adding the emote of how long the charms going to last to the EF tome, thats spot on.

What about a % chance that the charmed pet will emote that it is about to break. Alternatively, give enchanters a class specific pet command that lets you pick out a person in your group/raid, and the tome gives you a % chance that when the charm breaks the pet will go attack them instead of you.

Point. Fleshing this out a bit: rather than the command relating a particular instance of charm to a player, it relates the enc to the player. When you set it, that player gets prompted for consent.

Each time a charm breaks and this would take effect:
1) look up who the enc specifies
2) check if they are in the group
3) check if the consent variable refers to the enc
4) profit

Clear both variables on logging out.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that everyone thinks permanent charm would be so OP but it's been on live since Velious... Dire Charm allowed a player to permanent charm any mob 46 or under. Which when velious came out was huge. Later on there were improvement AAs added to increase that level to 59. Not only that, but druids and necromancers got it as well.

I find it interesting that everyone thinks permanent charm would be so OP but it's been on live since Velious... Dire Charm allowed a player to permanent charm any mob 46 or under. Which when Velious came out was huge. Later on there were improvement AAs added to increase that level to 59. Not only that, but druids and necromancers got it as well.
Just some corrections since I played like from Kunark to expansion 9 or something like that:
1. Dire charm did not come out during Velious. It was an AA. AAs were released during Luclin.
2. Dire charm mobs were mostly garbage compared real charm mobs. (There were some mobs that happened to kick ass, but they were fixed with time by being made charm immune.)
3. Dire charm replaced the risk of a high DPS pet with the ability to have a low dps (think shaman pet) at almost no risk.
4. An enchanter or druid using dire charm was either 1 of 2 scenarios:
a. Exercising their only charm option
b. Lazy

Sorry :(

Dire charm did not come out during Velious. It was an AA. AAs were released during Luclin.

Ya sorry, been so long since I played live. circa 2009 or so. Though i have frapcapture vids of my at the time 75 necro soloing in deadbone reef with a dire charm pet. So you're not entirely right.

An enchanter or druid using dire charm was either 1 of 2 scenarios:
a. Exercising their only charm option
b. Lazy

Idk about enchanters, never played 1 on live but I was charming werewolves in plain of nightmare on my druid way back during PoP...

Ya sorry, been so long since I played live. circa 2009 or so. Though i have frapcapture vids of my at the time 75 necro soloing in deadbone reef with a dire charm pet. So you're not entirely right.
Deadbone reef is a from The Burning Sea expansion which is exactly 10 expansions past Velious. (FYI - Velious had a max player level of 60, as did Luclin when AAs were released.)

Idk about enchanters, never played 1 on live but I was charming werewolves in plain of nightmare on my druid way back during PoP...
Plain of Nightmare was was from Planes of Power which is 2 expansions past Velious. I didn't charm with a necro, but there was much better xp to be had regular charming frogs in Plane of Storms as a druid or using regular charm in 1 of 100 places as an enchanter.

Dire charm mobs were light blue to start. They really had so little dps compared to regular charm it was almost silly to use them if you could use regular charm. Free dps is free dps, but it was nothing even close to regular charm.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure if you are trolling me now, but this is something I know quite a bit about. Sorry to bother and derail the thread :(

AA's first came out with Kunark, though unsure when the dire AA was released, didn't play a class on live that used charm. I though that Luclin was when the level cap went to 65, or maybe is was PoP.. been so damn long now. Not that any of that has to do anything with the discussion of the dire charm to begin with. Never really understood its removal here, actually.

Dire Charm was removed because it was considered entirely pointless to be able to permacharm LB mobs, even more so with PL being around then, wich forced you into zoning/refreshing every 45ish minutes anyways.

Its replacement, Encahnced Controll, is way more useful, guaranteed time of charmpet makes those useable on boss fights.

Back
Top Bottom