Mining has been revamped!

Wiz

NOT DONATING *EVER*
Effectively immediately, mining has undergone a pretty big revamp:

- Most of the time, successful mining will now yield rock with only trace amounts of ore not suitable to smelting. This rock can be sold for a little bit of money to merchants, but is otherwise useless.
- Each zone now has different types of ore available in it, instead of every zone having all the pre-warp/ghost metal ores. For instance, you will only find Iron in the Surefall mines, and Silver and Copper is all you'll get if you mine Blackburrow. In most zones, higher end ores will *not* be mixed with lower end ores, so you will not get enormous stockpiles of mithril and dalium while mining for the rarer ores.
- If your skill is not high enough to get at the type of ore available in a zone (say, you're trying to mine the Sundered Mountains mines without sufficent skill to mine Warpmetal) you will get nothing but lumps of rock.
- Warpmetal and Ghostmetal veins are no longer entirely restricted to Sundered Mountains/Kaladim.

To clarify slightly how mining is going to work now, you will have to find a zone with deposits of the metal you want. When you mine you'll either get 1-3 types of ore (say, mithril and dalium might be found in the same zone) or useless rock.

The useless rock essentially replaces all the lower end ores that were used to make the rarer ores rare, and by spreading out the metals we hope to lower competition (noone will waste valuable warpmetal depoists for iron, for instance) and help miners get at the metals they really want.

Just curious, does it change the way you skill-up in any way? I.e. can you still get skill-ups in the iron only Surefall mines if your skill is over 100, or do you have to seek rarer ores as you skill up?

Oualawouzou said:
Just curious, does it change the way you skill-up in any way? I.e. can you still get skill-ups in the iron only Surefall mines if your skill is over 100, or do you have to seek rarer ores as you skill up?

You can mine iron until 250 if it strikes your fancy.

I am thinking this "revamp" is totally lame. How are we supposed to know what is where with out wasting hours trying to find out what you can get. My blacksmith needs materials and this has totally screwed the mining up at most spots. I liked the old way better, the new system is a waste of time!!!

Ratt202 said:
I am thinking this "revamp" is totally lame. How are we supposed to know what is where with out wasting hours trying to find out what you can get. My blacksmith needs materials and this has totally screwed the mining up at most spots. I liked the old way better, the new system is a waste of time!!!

:toot:

Ratt202 said:

:psyduck:

I was not mining trees. I was in Sundered mountians, Obsidian shard mountains, Everfrost near the Halas zone line and I tryed black burrow (but could not find the veins of ore). :mad: I DON'T LIKE BEING CALLED A LIER, you did not say anything about Heartlands the first time you said anything about where there was ore at!!!

This change is going to require considerably more mining to skillup in smithing. Since you can max mining a LOT faster than smithing, previously you could be mining for one of the very rare ores like ghostmetal or warpmetal while collecting all the dalium and mithril you'll need to skill up. Now, you'll have to spend all that time mining dalium and mithril individually, but have none of the higher level metals saved up when it comes time to use those.

Additionally, the higher level smiths won't be collecting all the lower level ores to be able to give/sell to the up-and-coming smiths, further increasing the time the lower level smiths have to spend mining to skillup (and cutting out a source of income for the higher level smiths to help finance the expensive skillups).

Given the low number of high level smiths on the server compared to the other tradeskills, I do not personally like this change. Was there truly considerable competition in some places from lower level miners? I've spent a LOT of time lately in Sundered, the zone you mentioned, mining for warpmetal for a friend, and have never had problems with there being too many miners there to find available ore.

Assuming the change stays, would it be possible to increase the mining rate of the ores that do get mined in a zone to compensate for this change so we get more useful ores and less useless rock?

The rates were already increased with this patch. You get more rare metals compared to other stuff.

Has there been a change in the time between a vien being mined out and it restocking to go along with the reshuffling of ore? Will the more common ore bearing viens stay 'up' for longer?

Ratt202 said:
I was not mining trees. I was in Sundered mountians, Obsidian shard mountains, Everfrost near the Halas zone line and I tryed black burrow (but could not find the veins of ore). :mad: I DON'T LIKE BEING CALLED A LIER, you did not say anything about Heartlands the first time you said anything about where there was ore at!!!

Wiki FTW!

Blackburrow In the tunnel to the left of the zone with the Gnoll Miners
angel24.gif

Back
Top Bottom