Mining has been revamped!

Some more mining after the patch, 250 skill +8 in items for 258 skill in mining:

North Kaladim: This zone has a small amount of ore deposits

100 x Rock Lump, 8 x Ghostmetal Ore

Fearstone Keep: This zone has a small amount of ore deposits

100 x Rock Lump, 20 x Silver ore, 15 x Copper Ore

Everchill Caverns: This zone has almost no ore deposits.

39 x Rock Lump, 7 x Mithril Ore

Faentharc Woods: This zone is rich in ore.

100 x Rock Lump, still no ore found.

First Ruins: This zone is extremely rich in ore.

200 x Rock Lump, 12 x Deepmetal Ore

Sundred Mountains: This zone has significant ore deposits.

100 x Rock Lump, 8 x Warpmetal Ore

I am not understanding this change; to me, as a 250 miner & 185 skilled blacksmith, this change hinders my progress.

I need 90 stacks of mithril ore for my last 10 skill ups in mithril armor, 185-195 making mithril breastplates & tunics. I was planning on doing this mining myself while gathering warpmetal, ghostmetal, obsidian, & deepmetal for the future (obvious note: not from the same zone). And now? Unless I can find a spot that has one of these top-tier ores & mithril ore to mine, even then I will lose out on dalium & copper/silver ores which I had planned on using for augments, my required mining-time has increased by a significant amount.

The only benefit for blacksmiths & miners from this change, that I can see, is for the 250 skilled blacksmiths mining deepmetal ore, or warp/ghost metal ores for augments, a little more often at the cost of replacing all of the other ore they would have gathered with the rock lumps.

Either this change was made to make it more difficult to up-and-coming blacksmiths, or it is in need of more tweaking. (imho)

You'd get twice as much of the ore you wouldn't be looking for compared to the amount of rock lumps you get now so you're basically very wrong.

:protip: 10 rock lumps can now be combined into 1 minerals (in a forge), 6 minerals makes 1 mineral dust (still in a forge)

Gives them some use at least

Wiz said:
You'd get twice as much of the ore you wouldn't be looking for compared to the amount of rock lumps you get now so you're basically very wrong.

Again, mining my last 90 stacks of mithril ore for skill-ups, I would have mined ore to use in the future: warpmetal, ghostmetal, obsidian, or deepmetal; and ore for armor & augments: copper, silver, and dalium.

The increase in "mine-rate" at the cost of mining one or two type of ore per area, in my opinion, will hinder my progress as a 185th-skilled blacksmith.

I am aware that I have not explored all of the zones yet, although I have explored quite a few of the old-main ones.

Wiz said:
:protip: 10 rock lumps can now be combined into 1 minerals (in a forge), 6 minerals makes 1 mineral dust (still in a forge)

Gives them some use at least

10 rock lumps to make 1 mineral; 6 minerals to make 1 mineral dust; 3 stacks of rock lump for a mineral dust, a ~4p vendor bought item. Interesting- that almost tripples their 2s2c value.

Did you notice I mined nothing but rock lumps from Faentharc Woods before and after the 5/12 patch?

If it hinders your progress slightly then I guess that is okay because the new system makes a lot more sense than the previous one, and will make smithing a much more viable skill since it won't be so hard to get ahold of the components you need for selling armor.

I do agree this change makes sense, and once I get higher in blacksmithing skill, I may appreciate this change more. It is odd that few have posted their opinions.

Please do not forget about Faentharc Woods: 200 Rock Lumps so far, and no ore.

Wiz, if you are still open for suggestions here:

• Any chance of getting a (slightly) increased success rate of mining the mithril/dalium ores for 250-skilled miners? I know that I have said this before: this mining-change really helps out the 250 skilled blacksmiths while hindering the blacksmiths that are not quite there yet.

How about finding a random gem every once in a while when mining?

Thank-you, by the way, for your efforts.

Edit: I am going to mine some more, testing it out again, before I make such a request.

lol, "you contracted black lung" you begine to sufficate, pain and suffering strike you, you take 5 points of damage from black lung

Even if they seem slower than smithing, remember all you have to do is sit there and click a button to mine, theres 0 moneysink involved.

Could there possably be a way to combind mineral dust to make rare mineral dust? Just an idea.

Well, i picked up with my Mining/Blacksmithing where I left off a year ago and so far, I am liking what i see. Its far easier for me to target the ores I need to increase my skill. However, the only thing I am bothered about it the conversion of Rock Lumps to Mineral Dusts. Getting ready to start Dalium Armor and Weapons, this conversion would be greatly beneficial to me by reducing my overall costs. But here is the problem:

6 Rock Lumps = 1 Mineral
10 Mineral = 1 Mineral Dust

By looking at the amount that I need to skill up my Smithing, for one stack of Mineral Dust to make tempering, I would need 1200 Rock Lumps. Thats 60 stacks of Rocks. Thats a lot! not to mention the ammount of time it would take to do the combines. My question is this, Can this recipe please be reviewed and possibly reduced?

Thanks, Zeligus

No. You're not supposed to replace buying mineral dusts with mining them, it's just a few extra dusts here and there.

Well, I only JUST started playing again(It's been like 5 months), and I say I like this change.

I'll personally be using my rocks solely for mineral dusts, and using the rocks as my sole source of them. I also find it much easier to find the types of ore you actually want, and like Wiz said, it makes more sense. I don't care about stockpiles, personally, as I can just go mine them.

Back
Top Bottom