Yo

Renshu

Dalayan Elder
Hey everyone.

I haven't logged into the game or forum for years, and have been being very unproductive today getting caught up a bit. I'm a little shocked by what I'm reading about the community dwindling.

Anyone from Ethereal still around?

Whats up Rykke? Who is Kapitol K?

I think I'm done with p99 (lack of raid content), anyone have another suggestion? Phinigel server on live? Al'Kabor on Emu? SoD doesn't seem like an option.

Why isn't sod an option? There's plenty of spots in the current set of raiding guilds for warm bodies and tons of available content. sure, there are less players who are actively raiding nowadays but that's only a benefit to those that still raid, it's nice to have tons of ready content and not have to fight tooth and nail for it.

I think I'm done with p99 (lack of raid content), anyone have another suggestion? Phinigel server on live? Al'Kabor on Emu? SoD doesn't seem like an option.

Gonna be playing on Phinigel as of tomorrow, let me know if you decide to resub.

SoD doesn't seem like an option, because, based on what I've read, the game is horribly broken.

I leveled a Druid to 25 over the last few weeks on P99, and got a little old world nostalgia. I got invited to some porting guild that passes out Protection of the Glades very often at Druid rings. Made for easy solo exp.

I was going to use the druid to think a more desirable raid class, but after researching the server more, it's a bunch of dudes that farmed Kunark for five years cock blocking every decent raid mob and cash mob in the game. It's fun and nostalgic, but I don't think raiding is going to be an obtainable option.

I downloaded live and made a Renshu on Phinigal. I like the idea of doing PoP raiding as instances. The more I hear about Kronos and Exp Potions and such, the more I think I just got hosed for $15. I haven't made up my mind yet. I'd want a second toon if I decide to stay. IDK.

Al'Kabor on Emu is PoP and boxing, but I fear widespread cock blocking there. I think the instancing solves many problems and lets more people raid. I gotta get a better feel for this Phinny server, see what's really going on. I'm sure there is some cock blocking going on with the world cash drops and such.

The forums is full of people who are blowing the current state of the game out of proportion and/or don't even play atm and just troll the forums. Pretty much everything works again, or at least has a workaround. They added /cm refresh back in and that solves the majority of issues. SoD still has a vast amount of custom content and the best playerbase I've come across.

The forums are full of people who are blowing the current state of the game out of proportion and/or play the game still because they never got to experience the content before since they were in bad guilds. Once they burn out on doing the same content that has been out for 5 years they will quit too. Pretty much everything works enough for the remaining people to put up with it long enough to get kills at a slow pace. They added /cm refresh back in and that solves the majority of people not wanting to deal with things that don't work correctly on content they did 5 years ago to gear their 5th alt. SoD still has a vast amount of custom content that sadly doesn't have a meaningful continuation in sight since the last stuff put in was quickly removed/doesn't work/whofuckingknowsthedevsdon'tdiscussanythingopenly.

ftfy

Not to really shit on the people that have been trying to fix 2.5 but the way the release was handled and little to no new content was put out in the time that was used on it makes trying to carry new people less appealing each alt you gear. I know the devs do not get paid and all that jive but that's my point of view on the current state of SoD. People will just dismiss this sort of argument as trolling or bash the people who post it for not just leaving the forums/stop playing ect. But that's the sort of attitude that just pushes away the people that once cared for the server and continue to check in hoping for something to change.

Phinigel is mildly entertaining but its basically everquest but even easier than normal. P99 is cool if you are a mega nerd or don't want to raid ( there is so much you can accomplish without any raid gear at all). WoW legion is really good and I would play that more if PvP wasn't in arguably the worst state its ever been. PvE is probably the best its been since WoTLK though.

I'd consider playing SoD if you want to raid or 6 man relatively uncontested mobs. Certain things about the game seem to not be functioning properly now (characters seem to mitigate more now than before and have an extra 2k~ hp and a bunch more mana). Most people who have cleared t13 have mostly quit, but a very small number (3 or 4 come to mind) still play. 2.5 seems better now but still annoying enough that it keeps some long time players away from the game because its not worth the effort anymore. I can see Resurgum/SV disbanding after they have both fully cleared t13 a bit, but there is decent chance they stick around for a while because those guilds are finally doing t13 content 5~ years after it was first cleared.

I can't really speak much on TAK but an EMU where you can 3box sounds like it will be filled with anti-social mega-nerds. Honestly everquestEMUs in general seem to be pretty downhill these days.

If you're looking for a new MMO I'd suggest you play WoW, difficult and engaging group content is a thing, challenging raids, and character progression exists outside of item upgrades in the form of artifact power. If thats not your thing I'd probably play p99. You can play SoD if you find the 2.5 client tolerable, but your choice of guilds isn't very large if you want to raid. If none of those are appealing, your best bet is probably phinigel. Phinigel is pretty easy if you just want to raid stuff in instances, but overall its a relatively bland experience.

Imo reality lies somewhere between Lleoc's and Mart's viewpoints. Neither of them are necessarily wrong at all. Their opinions just come from different ends of the positive/negative spectrum. The dev activity isn't what it used to be, but only just over a year ago, Taryth was super-active, and some of them are still around in spots or in the background, so it always has that shot of suddenly picking up out of nowhere. Honestly man, you stopped playing so long ago that it's worth giving it a shot. A lot of the stuff that frustrates people that are left or people that pop in are gonna be balanced by some pretty cool stuff that's gonna be new to you anyway. All of these perspectives are from a far more recent gameplay standpoint than you'll be coming from. There are still a few annoying things, but most of the bad stuff has actually been fixed. The biggest issue right now is population. You may hop on, lfg in ooc sitting in athica for a couple hours, and then quit out of boredom, but idr you being that type. I'm not gonna sit here and sell an awesome server to you (actually I do think it's pretty awesome. It just needs a lot more dev time and a larger playerbase right now), but I do think it's worth a shot, especially if it is actually the perception that the game is horribly broken that is keeping you from making a reappearance.

I'm just going to go ahead and second what was previously stated. I do log into the boards from time to time just to check to see if anything has been changed....... unfortunately not today.

got a MM, got married, had a kid! now im fat. what's up with you?

So, I've played p99 and Phinigel here of late and my assessment is as follows:

P99 (Have leveled a druid to 25)

Good
Nostalgic, looks and acts like when we first started playing this damn game.
Everything seems to work, server is stable
People are really nice to noobs with gear/buffs/etc
no boxing makes for better interaction, stronger groups
Free
Good population

Bad
Its classic EQ, leveling takes forever, traveling takes forever, finding a group takes forever
Corpse runs
Most at low level are uber twink or getting a PL
No new content, same content has been out for years
End game raiding is an infinite cock block, raid mobs drop almost immediately after spawning. All mobs are on complete lock down for 5th/6th alts in uber guilds.
Mobs with desirable drops are cock blocked
RMT is rampant
No box is bad for non-solo classes that cannot find groups

Conclusion
I'm not so sure why everyone gets a hard-on for classic EQ. After the nostalgia fades, its pretty fucking annoying. If you want to take a long time to level to 60 and then have little to do, play this game.

----------------------------------------

Phinigel (Have leveled a monk to 20)

Good
All of the convenience upgrades to the game are convenient. New loot system, global channels, etc.
Instanced raiding - fuck the poop sock - this is the best feature of the server. Everyone can raid without having to batphone/poopsock.
More content to come
EXP rate is better
Easy to find groups
Boxing rules allow for boxing but limit boxing. Boxing is way less common than I thought it would be.
Good population
No corpse runs

Bad
Pay to play
RMT/Krono - the economy is strange here
You are behind at this point and really need to power through to get to end game (but its easily doable, and there is end game content that you can actually consume)
Solo exp is nerfed
While raid content is instanced, the method of acquiring keys/flags is not.

Conclusion
If you want to play EQ and experience it at a bit faster lving pace, this is your game. If you want to raid Luclin, PoP and beyond as instances, this is your game.

----------------------------------------------

I'm not going to play p99 anymore, but you can find me on Phinigel as Renshu.

Back
Top Bottom