Vendors?

I dunno man, that would make the ability to place trophies of monsters you've killed in The House basically obsolete.

i spent a long time thinking about the slow growth charm and i do really like it... would not be for people who have 500k - 1.2 charms etc but for new people coming up it would be nice. however i do not want to make another relic hunters and i don't want it to be just exp either so i'm sorta lost as to how it would 'grow'.

Amount of pvp kills plus pvp deaths plus Orc meats collected.

I couldn't suppress sig bc mobile app. Sorry.

Grows with xp and raid boss kills perhaps? Would have to add flags in for them all, if they don't exist already. Though i guess they do for the house thing, that almost nobody really uses anyways it seems.

P.sure that is exactly what Slaar meant with "another relic hunter".
I think by this he just meant he didn't want something in that would require retarded backfarming of content you're way past.

What I propose is a merger of two ideas in this thread:
-A few Tiers/Types of charms (so you can retain the specialized ones) with a reasonable-to-low platinum cost
-They grow in stats via generalized boss kills
-Once a charm is "completed" aka exp'd out you can trade it in and buy the next one up
--The rate at which they grow per boss kill is tailored to the tier of play they are meant for, ie: killing low tier targets with one of the later charms will give diminished results. This would make it so you could have a fairly smooth progression for people doing on-tier stuff instead of Charm #1 takes 50 kills to max out, Charm #2 takes 100, Charm #3 takes 250 etc etc. Obviously if you had, say, the starter charm and were killing higher content it would max out quicker so that people weren't playing catch-up for as long.

So basically it would be like Tim the Enchanter has just turned in the first charm the "Newbie's Charm of the Casual Player" which he exp up on tier 1 & 2 targets and he has just bought the second in the line the "Novice's Charm of Complaint Posts". This charm takes, lets say, 50 kills of targets between tiers 2 and 4 to max out. So Tim goes out with his guild <Badname Express> and kills a tier 3 target. "Alright!" says Tim, he's now sitting at 1/50. A guy in Tim's guild says hey guys come help me with this quest I need to kill this raid mob so they go and do that but oh no, this mob was only tier 1! "Fuck you!" says Tim "I should have known better than to help a fellow player for anything other than tangible self-gain!" Tim's charm only goes up by .5 for the kill of this measly mob outside the tier range of the charm bringing him up 1.5/50. A few weeks later Tim is minding his business when out of nowhere he gets a tell from <Nameless High-Tier Guild> "Hey bro" the guy says "we don't have any enchanters because they all died of substance abuse lol come raid this zone with us which will result in a future post complaining about the state of the flagging system" "Well how could I pass this up?!" Tim thinks. So they go to the Spires of Thazeran's Abyss and Tim kills a tier 17 target with them and his weak little charm starts getting really hot to the touch and smoking for a while then goes up by like 5 points!!! Tim's charm is now at 6.5/50 Hurray!

Oh also you could have like rotating charm credit bonuses on some less frequented bosses to add incentive for players to do them, basically like blessed zones I guess.

DOUBLE EDIT: You could let people with pre-existing charms trade them in to jump to whatever the new system equivalent is so they don't get cheated by switchover.

Last edited:
P.sure that is exactly what Slaar meant with "another relic hunter".

Yeah, I wasn't looking at needing loots off the mobs like relic hunters, just flags for killing mobs. Though, I have to say, I like Rorne's take on it allot.
My only concerns with it, is that the tier system is pretty much player created, and perhaps the devs don't see the mobs at the same tier we do? Also, it shouldn't just be boss kills, it should be xp also. Or else only people who raid will be able to complete charms. Those who play at odd times, where there is no guilds raiding (or people pugging, like Asia/Australia time slots) would never be able to build up their charms. There doesn't seem to be many of them anymore, but will never gain any more that way, either.

I know what you're saying but It's arguable that if you don't raid you don't even need a charm. As a concession you could have the first charm have respectable level 65 base stats or you could integrate things like tmaps and 6man content as counting towards completion. Or yes, just do straight up exp but I think that dilutes the system since you could hypothetically just grind them out.

This is my idea to fix everything; tomes which have been a problem forever, the economy and lack of demand for lower end/level items, and the pooling of players into high end cliques that don't interact with anyone else on the server:

When you take a tome of power it reduces your character back to level 1 and you have to level back up to 65

When you get there you are 5% stronger or whatever is appropriate. You don't lose any of your gear but you cant necessarily wear it anymore until you get back to level.

-This would make un-used zones popular again,
-It would break up the high end boys club significantly'
-It would provide a legitimate demand for lower level items. (also I would lower the level requirements for most boes esp those near 65 req.)

now all of the sudden newbies and vets are playing side by side in zones they haven't been farming for 5 years already, people need gear for their guys that is sub-65 raid gear. Codexs of power aren't horrible grind fests. This idea may not be absolutely perfect but i think it is worth considering/tweaking.

Last edited:
I
-A few Tiers/Types of charms (so you can retain the specialized ones) with a reasonable-to-low platinum cost
-Once a charm is "completed" aka exp'd out you can trade it in and buy the next one up
--The rate at which they grow per boss kill is tailored to the tier of play they are meant for, ie: killing low tier targets with one of the later charms will give diminished results. This would make it so you could have a fairly smooth progression for people doing on-tier stuff instead of Charm #1 takes 50 kills to max out, Charm #2 takes 100, Charm #3 takes 250 etc etc. Obviously if you had, say, the starter charm and were killing higher content it would max out quicker so that people weren't playing catch-up for as long.

Oh also you could have like rotating charm credit bonuses on some less frequented bosses to add incentive for players to do them, basically like blessed zones I guess.

DOUBLE EDIT: You could let people with pre-existing charms trade them in to jump to whatever the new system equivalent is so they don't get cheated by switchover.

YES. YES. YES!!!

edit: gerick will you marry me?

I think by this he just meant he didn't want something in that would require retarded backfarming of content you're way past.

So basically it would be like Tim the Enchanter has just turned in the first charm the "Newbie's Charm of the Casual Player" which he exp up on tier 1 & 2 targets and he has just bought the second in the line the "Novice's Charm of Complaint Posts". This charm takes, lets say, 50 kills of targets between tiers 2 and 4 to max out. So Tim goes out with his guild <Badname Express> and kills a tier 3 target. "Alright!" says Tim, he's now sitting at 1/50. A guy in Tim's guild says hey guys come help me with this quest I need to kill this raid mob so they go and do that but oh no, this mob was only tier 1! "Fuck you!" says Tim "I should have known better than to help a fellow player for anything other than tangible self-gain!" Tim's charm only goes up by .5 for the kill of this measly mob outside the tier range of the charm bringing him up 1.5/50. A few weeks later Tim is minding his business when out of nowhere he gets a tell from <Nameless High-Tier Guild> "Hey bro" the guy says "we don't have any enchanters because they all died of substance abuse lol come raid this zone with us which will result in a future post complaining about the state of the flagging system" "Well how could I pass this up?!" Tim thinks. So they go to the Spires of Thazeran's Abyss and Tim kills a tier 17 target with them and his weak little charm starts getting really hot to the touch and smoking for a while then goes up by like 5 points!!! Tim's charm is now at 6.5/50 Hurray!

The main problem I have with this is that even if it doesn't create a Relic Hunters-type "you must backfarm" situation, giving any non-negligible credit for killing under-tiered things will encourage people to farm under-tiered things just for the points.

I don't think it's hard to imagine a raid leader seeing a situation like this: "Well, our usual on-tier zone is completely down. We could go to above-tier zone and try to learn an encounter, but we don't have our best crew tonight so we probably won't get anything out of it. On the other hand, we could go to below-tier zone; we've already progressed through it and farmed it so much that we don't need anything from it and could do all the encounters in our sleep, but it's almost full-spawn and if we wipe out everything in there that'll be worth 3 charm points for 16 of our raid members = 48 total charm points all but guaranteed why am I even deliberating this, that's the only reasonable choice! Rot farm ahoy!"

I think it would have to be either really restrictive or give really tiny benefits to cancel that out. Guaranteed progress for doing easier things is pretty big in a game where rewards are highly random and uneven otherwise.

Last edited:
I think a threshold and proper numbers for below tier stuff could make it work

I'm just a nub in all this, but i want to say one thing. Many games get into a worse situation than they started with by following this pattern:

1. Shit is too hard/slow/difficult.
2. Made too easy/fast/tedious and allowed to stay that way for a long period of time.
3. Great idea and observation about the state of things that ends in reverting to a midpoint between 1 and 2. Too little, too late.
4. Disparity of have and have-nots post change so ridiculous that game has lost viability to fresh player base who is disillusioned much too soon.
5. Stagnation, ennui, death.

How about basing the increase on time playing the on tier area for the Charm so If you have a T5 tier charm you could only XP it in T5 and above this would accually encourage people to learn the higher tiers rather then farm the lower ones,

Maybe something like 6 grades of charms (obviously with some variety in selection per grade) so one aimed at every two raid tiers from tier 1-12. We'll say for argument they each take 40 points to fill and a point awarding scale something similar to this:

kGqHZ.png

People with pre-existing charms could hand them in to jump up to whatever the equivalent is in the new system etc.

Lets say for example your guild <Egress> is farming ToT/Tier 8 to back gear replacement players and Noobius the cleric rolls up with a whole lotta AAs/tomes but he just bought his first charm! For shame Noobius... anyways, how many times would <Egress> have to do mobs of the same tier (tier 8)over and over until Noobius had the best possible charm for that tier of play (a grade 5 charm)?

1st Grade=7 boss kills to max
2nd Grade=8 boss kills to max
3rd Grade=10 boss kills to max
4th Grade=20 boss kills to max
5th Grade=40 boss kills to max
Total = 85 Boss kills to go from 1st Grade charm to 5th Grade charm

Each Grade of charm when done at the appropriate tier of play would require 20 boss kills which might sound like a lot on paper but hitting 2-3 targets in a raid night knocks that out pretty quickly.

I think this system combined perhaps with rotating Blessed Zone style system that adds +1 credit on top of what you would gain per kill(would add nothing if you would normally get zero) would be a nice incentive.

Oh yes on top of this I would suggest the implementation of daily quests for the casual man ie: Do a tmap (difficulty relative to the charm you have) get a nice chunk of exp and +1 charm credit.

Anyways obviously these numbers are just for the sake of example but I think it's a system that could work and simpler is always better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom