Request for a ranger quest

So you don't see any difference between having bags full of arrows and knowing that you cannot run out before the mob's death, and a caster that knows he has every chance to run oom if things go bad (I am speaking of untwincked people here)?

Don't tell me you'd be suicidal enough to fill your bag with only 40 arrows (per your own calc) and would resummon between each mob?

I don't buy it, sorry.

If the goal is to get something in the mid level range, I still think kits are a better option.
They wouldn't be infinite like a clicky summon item but still increase the duration.
Hell, make it a quest hand in or something at kelethin or surefall then.

So you don't see any difference between having bags full of arrows and knowing that you cannot run out before the mob's death

well yeah there is a difference, but I dont think it really gives an unfair advantage. Also I've upped the weight on the suggested arrows.. if you fill all your inventory it will encumber you ;)

A caster can in my experience kill mobs way faster than a ranger can (atleast the mages/wizards/necros/druids i have seen) and while i am still on the same mob they have time to med and engage the next one. and that is with pretty decent arrows on my part. I'm fine with that idc if they do more damage than me...

But the thing is that they can keep soloing indefinitly, when i run out of arrows i must find a fletchign merchant to continue to solo.

If i am able to summon 0 dmg arrows i could keep soloing, slowly, but still usefully. I would be able to make use of the times when i cant play that long and am in the middle of nowhere.. instead of spending that time trying to get a port to a city and get back.

I would, like I've said before, still go back to town to re-supply, sell loot, get more food and drink, get spells, etc.. It wouldent in my opinion make me an un-balanced solo machine.

I'm curious to what the dev's think of the idea, if they think there is room for such an item or if it is completly out of the question....

Made some changes to try to cope with Kelval's and robopirateninja's problems with it (marked in bold).

--------------------
Big bag of sticks
[lore][nodrop]
Effect: Summon: sharp sticks (cast:5.0 sec) (recast:5.0 sec) (cannot be cast in combat)
WT:10.0

The 'Big bag of sticks' does not fit in any container and hence takes up one of the primary slots.

it summons 10x (half a pile each time to make it slower and punish us for not having fletching supplies)
--------------------
Sharp Stick
[norent][nodrop]
Slot: Ammo
DMG: 0
Range: 25
WT:2.0
--------------------
just 5 piles increases weight by 10, that would encumber me atleast... and im not going to try to kite while overweight ;)

A caster can in my experience kill mobs way faster than a ranger can (atleast the mages/wizards/necros/druids i have seen) and while i am still on the same mob they have time to med and engage the next one. and that is with pretty decent arrows on my part. I'm fine with that idc if they do more damage than me...

But the thing is that they can keep soloing indefinitly, when i run out of arrows i must find a fletchign merchant to continue to solo.
:tinfoil: Rangers can heal themselfs, and they can forage to get food, so they can solo indefinitely while us poor casters (mage excluded) need to see a vendor ever so often cause mana regen without drink is not gonna happen! :tinfoil:

Jokes aside: every class has pros and cons, every class needs to go to town every now and then. There is a means of getting arrows for cheap on low levels, and even more so, RNG fletching its own arrows makes perfectly sense RP wise.

I believe someone once suggested the idea of adding a chance to forage fletching components for fletching in the field. Like a small chance to forage sticks, or feathers, and perhaps require you have one of those little fletching knives with you to work with them.

As long as it's a relatively small chance to forage them, so it can't be used as a primary means of obtaining arrows, it's a very Ranger-ish way of fletching in the field for an extra stack maybe, but summoning in the lower levels seems just a little OP.

I believe someone once suggested the idea of adding a chance to forage fletching components for fletching in the field. Like a small chance to forage sticks, or feathers, and perhaps require you have one of those little fletching knives with you to work with them.

As long as it's a relatively small chance to forage them, so it can't be used as a primary means of obtaining arrows, it's a very Ranger-ish way of fletching in the field for an extra stack maybe, but summoning in the lower levels seems just a little OP.

that sounds pretty good aswell, but I for one hate Forage.. (usually fills p my inventory with 50 different items)

If summoning in the lower level is the problem, just add a level restriction? say 35/40?

Seriously... learn to make arrows. I have a 65 ranger and never had a summon arrow clickie. He does fine. Have I run out of arrows before? Yep. That's the way it is though. Hasn't happened often though. I keep an 8 slot bag full of components to make arrows and then an empty fletching kit. That's 40 stacks of arrows I can make total. I usually make enough stacks to fill a couple bags and then stock up on the components so I'll maybe have 20-30 stacks and then my means to make another 40 stacks total. You'd have to not return to town for a LONG time to run out.

If you're going through that many arrows though, perhaps your issue is the bow you have. Maybe you need a higher damage and higher delay bow if you're soloing.

Foraging components would be terrible. There are way too many components for arrows and you could potentially end up with a bunch of useless stuff you can't combine due to it not matching a fletching recipe.

Also... kite mobs with less hp's. Yes exp is lower most likely, but you'll make out in the long run. Another tactic I use to save arrows is when a mob gets low on hp, I run in and tank it. Rangers get several damage shield spells so they can drop mob hp pretty fast face to face.

I have heals. I can heal up afterward. Sometimes I don't bother healing up after and just cast regen and let it do the work while I kite the next mob.

Foraging components would be terrible. There are way too many components for arrows and you could potentially end up with a bunch of useless stuff you can't combine due to it not matching a fletching recipe.

I was combining this idea with his new arrows idea. IE: a new fletching recipe involving a foraged stick and foraged feather, and a knife (reuseable, just required during combine to make it a tad less convenient) that will yield a stack of 0 damage 50 range arrows. Foraging the current arrow-making components would be hellish.

I was combining this idea with his new arrows idea. IE: a new fletching recipe involving a foraged stick and foraged feather, and a knife (reuseable, just required during combine to make it a tad less convenient) that will yield a stack of 0 damage 50 range arrows. Foraging the current arrow-making components would be hellish.

I still would rather forage food or drink and not be bogged down with garbage to make 0 dmg arrows. Just my preference. Having 0 damage arrows would only make his kiting take longer and use MORE arrows. Sure he could maybe forage some pieces, but I don't see that being more practical than just buying more components when in town.

Fletching is far from great as a tradeskill, but making your own arrows is better than relying on low or no damage arrows... or buying higher damage arrows from others.

Summon arrow clickie would have been cool at lower levels, but honestly I had a far better time getting into groups than trying to kite every level. If you can't find a group, it's cool you can kite though...but the game is sorta based around grouping.

Back
Top Bottom