Ranger stance #7 - Recovery too long?

Finkk

Dalayan Adventurer
Hey guys. I waited a long time to get this skill and once I got it, I was a little bit disappointed. I've gained 2 levels and 10aa since level 55, but I've always been a bit unsatisfied with stance #7. For those of you who don't know, stance #7 is:

(7) Flurry of Shots [Level 55] <Shoot Twice per Round until Exhausted>

Here is a brief timeline of me using this stance:

STANCE USED
01:30:41

EXHAUSTED
01:30:55

NO LONGER EXHAUSTED
01:41:34

STAMINA FULLY RECOVERED (WHILE STANDING)
01:48:45

As you can see, the stance only lasts 14 seconds. So for 14 seconds (in my case, 3 shots with a kedgemetal crossbow) I double my dps. After that, I am completely exhausted and for a little over 10 minutes I can't change stances or even jump. Furthermore, in an xp grind environment in which I don't have the option of sitting, it takes an additional 7 minutes to fully regain my stamina (no regen buffs).

I'm bringing this to everyone's attention to see if a class imbalance would result from tweaking this skill. Ultimately, I would love if the recovery period was shortened on this or if the duration was increased to something worthy of waiting 15+ minutes for full stamina because imo it's not even practical while I'm bow kiting or grouping. I just stay in aggressive stance the whole time.

A short time ago I noticed a developer was altering the recovery time because i was no longer exhausted after only a minute and a half and I thought it was terrific. But I see now that it was changed back. So let me know what everyone thinks please. Thanks! :)

Rogues are in the same boat.

[Sat Aug 25 02:04:30 2007] Inputting style command...
[Sat Aug 25 02:04:31 2007] Tryfaen strikes with critical precision.
[Sat Aug 25 02:04:49 2007] Tryfaen appears completely exhausted.
[Sat Aug 25 02:14:49 2007] Tryfaen no longer appears exhausted.

(18 seconds of double damage)
(10 minutes of exhaustion)

[Sat Aug 25 02:21:13 2007] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Sat Aug 25 02:21:20 2007] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Sat Aug 25 02:21:27 2007] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
[Sat Aug 25 02:21:34 2007] Try attacking someone other than yourself, it's more productive.
(unbuffed backstab spamming with 45% worn haste)

As you can see with a 7 second refresh rogues only get 2 backstabs before we are exhausted. With haste we could probably get a third in before we run out of stamina.

What are the exact effects of exhaustion?

Serious dps decrease, in my experience - I don't know the numbers off hand, but you could parse yourself exhausted and see what the difference is. I'd wager at least 20% reduction.

Allielyn said:
Serious dps decrease, in my experience - I don't know the numbers off hand, but you could parse yourself exhausted and see what the difference is. I'd wager at least 20% reduction.

I really, really hope ur wrong. Otherwise I won't be using any stances that result in exhaustion hehe.

I agree with this thread. The 2x damage styles are too short or they sap you too much.

AFAIK exhasuted was changed to -10% avoidance, -10% haste (might be accuracy.)
(Like being in defensive and agressive at the same time but only the penalties.)

--------------
On their own the styles are decent. Except the stamina bar is shared with other styles.

In the long run s/6 will outdamage my 2x style. Then I am Out of stamina and cannot use 2x damage.

Id like to suggest that when you use an extreme style. You get a full stamina regeneration before it (unless already exhausted). Clicking nimble style with 20% stamina left, only gives me about 5 seconds dodge with the full exhausted penalty. Other extreme styles - like Paladin Super Undead Hit Style- do the same thing regardless of stamina left.

Ponden said:
In the long run s/6 will outdamage my 2x style. Then I am Out of stamina and cannot use 2x damage.
Yes. You can let yourself run out and not become exhausted, and then later on in the fight use it again when you regen'd a fair amount of stamina.

/s 6 will easily outdamage /s 10, because of the harsh penalty of being exhausted and the LONG recovery from being exhausted.

during medium/long named fights you can pretty much time /s 6 perfectly so you can regen your stamina to max before the named gets to 20% then doing /s 10 so you can pretty much fight without the cons of being exhausted. only downside to this is that your guild chanter uses critical strike during the time you are only in /s 2

kaotikk said:
I never used Flurry of shoots. I assumed it was put in as a joke to trick stupid rangers.

Agree.

Except for 2-3 times that I used it to see how much damage I could do (when I first got it), I've used s7 once because it was an emergency. In at least 2 years of raiding.

Side note: It's even less useful after the archery changes.

kaotikk said:
I never used Flurry of shoots. I assumed it was put in as a joke to trick stupid rangers.
Lol... and agreed. Much better to /s 8 for the duration of the fight (usually possible), than to /s 7 for a few seconds at some point.

Flurry of shots should be changed to a non-extreme style that gives you a % chance to do a double shot. With a similiar stamina decrease to avengers precision.

Ponden said:
Other extreme styles - like Paladin Super Undead Hit Style- do the same thing regardless of stamina left.

I could be wrong...

But it always seemed paladins Banishing Strike damage has a direct relationship to how much stamina is left. If my stamina bar is low, it seem to do a lot less damage then when its nearly full. (this could just be prespective, I have never really tested this out).

Back
Top Bottom