Patch Notes - June 12th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATCH NOTES
June 12, 2020

CLASSES
  • WARRIOR
    • Bloodlust no longer heals from spell damage.
    • Juggernaut's Rage stance and tome line have been renamed to Reckless Fury.
      • Accompanying abilities have also been renamed.
      • Juggernaut's Warcry has been renamed, and its overhaste has been reduced.
      • Reckless Strike's self-damage has been moderately increased.
      • Physical damage taken in this stance has been significantly increased.
      • Aggro generated in this stance has been moderately reduced.
    • Tales of Rapid Recovery application to Warrior cooldown reduction has been reduced.
  • PALADIN
    • A new Paladin self-heal spell has been added to the game.
    • Spells in the Blessing line (e.g., Blessing of Light, Blessing of Althuna) have been given level scaling.
ITEMS
  • Adversity has been given lore text.
  • Ambient Accumulator messages are now visible only to the owner rather than everyone in the vicinity.
  • Animation Blade worn slot has been adjusted.
  • As long as you have already added Vaporous Crystalline Key to your keyring, interacting with A Vaporous Projection no longer requires you to have the key in your inventory or bank.
  • Blade of Mimickry's proc has been modified:
    • It works only while the wearer is in his or her true form.
    • It will no longer work on gigantic, fixed-size targets (e.g., classic dragons).
    • The size component is now capped at size 3 (default GNM size) on the low and and size 10 (default OGR size) on the high end.
  • The following items have had their proc rates reduced to account for the healing spell changes (see below):
    • Chestguard of Clear Thought
    • Gelida, Tundra of the Razad
    • Sanctus, Piety of the Razad
    • Venenum, Scourge of the Razad
  • Haversack of the Winds and Gust of Wind are now usable only by classes with access to the Throwing skill.
  • Item models have been added to the following:
    • Fishing Net
    • Treble Hook
  • Many AoE weapon procs have been toned down.
  • Mug of Endless Gravy now summons gravy only for the person who clicks it (although the gravy can still be freely traded).
  • Sensei's Gift will now disappear after its charge is used.
  • Shoulder items intended to proc via Slam have, for one reason or another, never worked. As such, all procs intended to work via Slam have been removed from their respective items.
    • Items that are equippable in the shoulder slot as wlel as other valid proc slots, such as Sopping Bar Rag and Thingy of the GODS, will continue to proc from those valid slots.
  • The spell scroll for Runic: Denon's Dissonant Duet now has the correct name.
  • The spell scroll for Runic: Veil of Kaezul now has the correct name.
  • Staff of the Charismatic has been renamed Alluring Staff.
  • Triumvir has had its AC removed.
NPCs
  • A kind lady has decided to take up the traveling life once again. She no longer spawns indefinitely in certain city zones, but she will make random appearances (announced via OOC chat) and will offer her usual services for those willing to make the journey to find her.
    • Note that the kind lady's usefulness has changed in light of the ongoing buff revamp; while this may seem like a loss, bear in mind that class monopolies on certain buff lines have changed and will continue to change for the better!
  • A number of lizardman NPCs are more colorful than before.
  • The flame NPCs associated with Zir, Spirit of Fourstones should no longer have a buggy appearance determined by when or where you enter the zone.
  • The word "Vah" is now capitalized in NPC names.
QUESTS
  • Tavax Darkblood now allows Warriors to undertake his quest as well as Shadowknights; this was the intention all along, but only the latter was able to advance his dialog. Additionally, the quest's rewards are now usable by both classes.
SPELLS
  • Apocalypse (the spell) has been changed to a single target DD with AoE debuff, as originally intended. The DD component has been raised slightly.
  • Elixir of Experience (the spell) now lists its duration as 20 minutes instead of 20 seconds.
  • The following spells (and their accompanying scrolls) have been renamed to reference Shards of Dalaya lore:
    • Atol's Spectral Shackles -> Yinazra's Spectral Shackles
    • Gangrenous Touch of Zum`uul -> Gangrenous Touch of Grindrun
    • Garrisons Mighty Mana Shock -> Galadian's Mighty Mana Shock
    • Quivering Veil of Xarn -> Quivering Veil of A`han
    • Relic: Til's Elemental Ward -> Relic: Del's Elemental Ward
    • Scent of Terris -> Scent of Dis
    • Talok's Taunting Echoes -> Mantak's Taunting Echoes
    • Til's Elemental Recomposition -> Del's Elemental Recomposition
    • Til's Intervening Enchantment -> Del's Intervening Enchantment
    • Torbas' Acid Blast -> Tishkaal's Acid Blast
    • Torbas' Poison Blast -> Tishkaal's Poison Blast
    • Torbas' Venom Blast -> Tishkaal's Venom Blast
    • Zevfeer's Theft of Vitae -> Sytha's Theft of Vitae
  • Healing spells from Minor Healing to Superior Healing have been changed to scale faster.
    • This should soften the gap between Clerics and other classes while also providing better scaling at all levels.
  • Muddy Runes of Healing is now classed as a Focus Effect instead of a PBAE, and its description now correctly lists the crit heal boost as 6 percent rather than 7.
  • Protection of the Leaf has been added to the game as a precursor to Protection of the Cabbage.
    • Its accompanying spell scroll is scribable by Druids at 44, and Rangers at 58.
  • Rangers now get Shield of Barbs at level 39.
  • Runic: Veil of Kaezul is now flagged as a level 65 spell rather than level 30.
TRADESKILLS
  • 10 Dose Alchemy potion combines have been removed. (With potions being stackable, there is no reason for these to exist anymore.)
  • Meat combines for Tinkering have been changed to preserve the Oil Press.
  • The combine for Lemonade has been added (or readded?) to the game. This has been broken for at least a decade based on the wiki.
ZONES
  • Several othmir NPCs throughout Wyvernfang Coast were previously spawning underneath the world; their spawnpoints have been fixed.
  • The Razadian statues scattered around the Mountain Crags of Tarhyl are no more.
  • Sellable items from Overgrowth Deep Tunnels have had their prices increased.
  • Bloodfire loot has had it vendor price slightly reduced.
  • Citadel of the Claw has had it rank two tome drop chance increased. The Old Veteran can now drop rank two class tomes at a higher chance.
  • Current global opus drop rates have been increased by 10%.
MISCELLANEOUS
  • Fixed a bunch of memory errors which should make the server more stable overall.
  • Fixed Death Fatigue being incorrectly removed upon resurrection.
  • Fixed vendors charging double for items.
  • Lore discrepancies over the spelling of Caretaker Torsh / Torsch have been merged into Torsch.
  • New tradeskill tables have been added to Pocket Plane for all tradeskills (except Tinkering). These act like their respective combine containers, without the need to shuffle your bags around!

BUFF REBALANCE PHASE ONE

The following changes will be the first to address buffs. Phase one will weaken class monopolies on certain vital buff lines by introducing additional class spells and alchemy recipes that achieve similar effects.​
ALCHEMY
  • New recipes have been added to the game.
HASTE
  • Most single-target haste spells now target the group.
    • Mana cost has been increased to account for this.
  • Celerity now scales from 47 to 55% haste (from 47 to 50).
  • Wonderous Rapidity increased to 69% haste (from 64).
    • Duration also increased.
  • Shaman Ancient: Gift of Celerity increased to 65% haste (from 55).
    • Range and mana cost also increased.
  • Beastlords can now scribe Quickness at Level 49.
  • Helt's Berserker Formula has had its haste increased to a range of 20 to 25% (from 10).
    • Recommended level increased to 15 (from 0).
  • Helt's Wild Berserker Formula has had its haste increased to a range of 33 to 38% (from 20).
    • Recommended level increased to 30 (from 0).
  • Helt's Beserking Insanity has had its haste increased to a range of 44 to 49% (from 30).
    • Recommended level increased to 45 (from 20).

HEALTH
  • The following Druid spells have been added to the game:
    • Heart of the Seed; available at level 19.
    • Heart of the Sprout; available at level 34.
    • Heart of the Sapling; available at level 51.
    • Heart of the Tree; available at level 65.
  • The following Shaman spells have been added to the game:
    • Inner Strength; available at level 14.
    • Inner Force; available at level 24.
    • Astral Fire; available at level 39.
    • Astral Strength; available at level 53.
    • Astral Force; available at level 65.

MANA REGEN
  • The following Enchanter spells have been adjusted:
    • All single-target mana regeneration spells (e.g., Breeze, Clarity) now target the group.
      • Mana costs has been increased to account for this.
    • Breeze increased to 2 - 3 mana regen (from 2).
    • Clarity increased to 5 - 7 (from 5 - 6).
    • Boon of the Clear Mind is 10 mana regen at all levels (wiki was incorrect).
    • Gift of Pure Thought increased to 14 mana regen (from 11).
    • Garos's Endless Intellect increased to 16 mana regen (from 14).
  • The following Charisma line of Shaman spells have been renamed and adjusted to have [Slot 2] mana regeneration:
    • Alluring Aura -> Allure of the Snake:
      • +2 mana per tick.
      • Memorization level reduced to 24 (from 29).
    • Glamour -> Allure of the Kaleidoskink:
      • +5 mana per tick.
    • Charisma -> Allure of the Frilakh:
      • +8 mana per tick.
      • Memorization level increased to 51 (from 49).
    • Talisman of the Serpent -> Allure of the Serpent:
      • +11 mana per tick.
    • Unfailing Reverence -> Allure of the Basilisk:
      • +13 mana per tick.
      • Memorization level increased to 65 (from 59).
      • The scroll now drops alongside other Level 65 spell scrolls.
  • The following Lich line of Necromancer spells have been given a group recourse, granting [Slot 2] mana regeneration with a slight health degeneration:
    • Allure of Death Recourse:
      • +2 mana per tick.
      • -1 HP per tick.
    • Call of Bones Recourse:
      • +5 mana per tick.
      • -2 HP per tick.
    • Lich Recourse:
      • +8 to +11 mana per tick.
      • -3 HP per tick.
    • Arch Lich Recourse:
      • +12 to +14 mana per tick.
      • -4 HP per tick.
      • Confers Ultravision.
    • Master of Death Recourse:
      • +16 mana per tick.
      • -6 HP per tick.
      • Confers Ultravision.
      • Confers See Invis.
    • Note that any item with a proc, clicky, or worn effect from the Lich spell line continue to use the old version of the spell without the recourse.

LOW-LEVEL REBALANCE
  • Most quests listed in the Level 1 - 5 range of the wiki's quest timeline article have had their rewards buffed. If the quest progresses to higher levels, the rewards through the entire questline have been buffed, often ending with a stronger [EXPABLE] final item.
  • Loot in the following zones has been buffed:
    • Blackburrow
    • Cesspits
    • Fearstone Keep
    • Halls of Mielech
    • Newport Sewers
    • Southern Waste of Tarhyl
    • Warrens
    • Western Badlands
  • Many adept items have been adjusted.
    • This includes a more consistent pattern for estimating how much total exp will be needed to reach the item's maximum level:
      • Adept loot from the Level 1 - 9 range requires approximately 1,000,000 total exp.
      • Level 10 - 19: 2,000,000 exp.
      • Level 20 - 29: 3,000,000 exp.
      • Level 30 - 39: 4,000,000 exp.
      • Level 40 - 49: 5,000,000 exp.
      • Level 50+: 6,000,000 exp.

KNOWN ISSUES
  • [NO DROP] items are currently appearing as [PRISTINE].

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't played this in like 2 years in any meaningful capacity aside from logging in to give my friend money and carry his trash can thru 4.3 and I am personally insulted by the removal of kind lady and the buff changes. I can only imagine how absurdly obnoxious it is to actually raid where random deaths aren't exactly uncommon and then you have to rebuff constantly. Duoing on your own, something I spent degenerate amounts of time doing would be miserable now in comparison to when I did it and it was already miserable then. Anyways buffs are stupid, they solved the problem then decided they didn't want people actually playing the game so they broke it again. Every time I pop in to read patch notes Im pretty sure its just a game to see what garbage people will put up with because there isn't anything quite like sod. As a side note in many hours playing my shaman aside from recasting river keeper and gender illusioning to get rid of the form Im pretty sure I have one set of spells loaded and never look at a book ever.

Is the buff change really that bad? Why was Kind Lady even added?

Recent changes just seem like attempts to quell the insane power people have gotten up to. It is actually not very fun to watch a whole zone get pulled and then slaughtered by some guy who has been playing for 5+ years.

Recent changes just seem like attempts to quell the insane power people have gotten up to. It is actually not very fun to watch a whole zone get pulled and then slaughtered by some guy who has been playing for 5+ years.
the same exact thing still happens except it takes a little longer to kill and you feel worse about it

Yes see responses above. KL was added as a holiday thing that stuck around for a while.

Why quell the power just make more content. The game is so old now anything below T10 doesn't die often outside of duos/1groups. You weren't complaining about that the other day in Kaesora...

when kind lady was put in, there was also a Covid Xp bonus. almost our entire raidforce were created or 'new' in that period. they got on, xped like crazy, used their buffs and 'caught up' to raid content. like 20 people earned their 5th seeker and CoP bonus and were dutifully punching away at their character progression.

then the xp bonus was removed so a good half the xpers stopped xping because it felt so slow. Then buffs were removed and suddenly folks could no longer duo what they used to, or it took longer. the aa change made it cost more to "buy back" what you previously earned than you could purchase. the cherry on top was nerfing the incredibly long remnants quest, which brought a lot of people together to do the insane mass farming needed.

so now we have a lot of people who signed on and played with one experience, now getting another. most of them are now past the point where they have to xp to progress, so they simply don't. the net result is less xp groups, less new player enthusiasm, and less old players interested in helping new players. It's something of a baffling change for a server hungry for new population. Any number of minor adjustments would have satisfied folks, but...they wern't done.

note that the changes didn't really rub me the wrong way. I like the tome > aa change, i even "didn't re-buy" a few things i had grinded up that i'm indifferent about to finish off tomes i wanted. I even farmed up all but literally 3 tomes/opus i needed. i had like 30 of them in my bank when the patch went through. The buff duo/solo thing didn't really effect me because i'm a chanter and my lot in life is to lay around sighing until a group takes me some where anyway. The xp thing didn't hit me so hard because i'm super lazy and rarely actively grind xp.

I'm just reporting what i'm seeing from folks around me and the effect it has on enthusiasm. seems like we'd want enthusiasm.

Last edited:
there needs to be a growing pains bonus while we switch over to the vision, bonus charm credits and xp, enhanced chance at a 3rd loot off raid bosses.

At least this much. Drops and more dramatic player bonuses tied to in game holy days. More auto-scheduled events like the war that end in bosses for loots (again, perhaps tied to holy days or seasons around holy days).

Could expand on the massively underutilized house system (a personalized instance) for individual character perks like soulbound consumables and lore augs. World drops or even non raid exp camp based drops that can be turned in somewhere limitlessly at 65 for massive exp, coin, or fame would incentivize more non raid play. There are tons of "gather" type quests throughout the levels from bandit coin purses to liodreth paws, scale one of those for the 65 duos set back by the buff changes.

there needs to be a growing pains bonus while we switch over to the vision, bonus charm credits and xp, enhanced chance at a 3rd loot off raid bosses.
yea i was a little confused that they didn't refund ground tomes with bonus aa on top (to cover any weird discrepancies), and then put out a phat xp bonus for a month to emphesize the joy of grinding out aa again.

At least this much. Drops and more dramatic player bonuses tied to in game holy days. More auto-scheduled events like the war that end in bosses for loots (again, perhaps tied to holy days or seasons around holy days).

it would be interesting to see an automated cycle of of events lend bonuses to motivate players. linking it to holy days is interesting.

I had a concept in my noggin for a "player controlled" blessed zone system. I could write it up if any dev actually wants to see it. i figured no one would wanna work on it so i never put it to text. :)

I had a concept in my noggin for a "player controlled" blessed zone system. I could write it up if any dev actually wants to see it. i figured no one would wanna work on it so i never put it to text. :)

Blessed zones was intended to be used for zones with little to no use. Keep that in mind.

There is a global Bonus charm credit and preferential blessed zone exp has been a thing. Glad you're liking the changes .

when kind lady was put in, there was also a Covid Xp bonus. almost our entire raidforce were created or 'new' in that period. they got on, xped like crazy, used their buffs and 'caught up' to raid content. like 20 people earned their 5th seeker and CoP bonus and were dutifully punching away at their character progression.

While the Kind Lady and xp bonus didn't resolve all of the pains of being a scrub on SoD, they at least eased the pain of what feels like arbitrary time gates. I remember when <Insanity> disbanded being told by a handful of players that if I wanted to play my warrior or rogue and joined a guild to get carried, I could probably have a supreme and most of my tomes done within a year or year and a half. The downside is I'd most likely need to adventure band them with either my cleric or someone's alt and pretty much just leach xp off their adventure band. Just hearing that from a handful of players removed any excitement I had to continue playing the game.

I remember leveling my warrior and cleric in January of 2020 with the Kind Lady + holiday xp and it felt amazing. At the time, there was a progression guild being formed and it definitely brought back a handful of people. I could log on at any time, start or join a group, and just grind for hours. We didn't care what classes were in the group because the buffs weren't an issue anymore. It was just socializing and grinding Hate for gear.

Playing my warrior and cleric on SoD was one of the most enjoyable times I've had playing EverQuest. I really hoped to one day raid on a rogue or maybe my warrior but it just doesn't seem realistic. Groups are too scarce and I really dislike having to leach xp just to progress.

I could be entirely wrong and nothing I posted is factual. Maybe the game just isn't a good fit for me now that I'm older and starting a family.

TLDR: The Kind Lady and holiday xp rates due to the bonus made SoD so fun but won't entice new players or retain them once they realize how much they have to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom