Patch Notes - June 12th, 2020

Stonewalljack

Dalayan Adventurer
Re: Kind Lady:

I get that Kind Lady isn't where the devs want to go. I get that it feels kind of kludgy. I get that the idea that relics are readily available from an NPC and that means buff relic spells feel like dead slots is kind of gross from a character progression standpoint. But... this doesn't solve that problem, yet.

The problem of buffs isn't that they're overly necessary or they're particularly unique to a class. It's that the mechanics and fundamental design behind 2+hr buffs are not good design. That isn't the Dev's fault (it's a problem with EQ overall) but it is the Dev's problem. The play cycle behind buffing is terrible. If a buff lasts 2+hrs, there's no reason for you to invite that character to the group. You just beg for a drive by buff. These effects are baked into zone balance, and they feel necessary to play the game at a reasonable pace.
I agree with this. I personally would prefer the current effort going towards putting in more buffs instead be put towards removing longterm buffs.

Tevinter

Dalayan Pious Diety
I agree with this. I personally would prefer the current effort going towards putting in more buffs instead be put towards removing longterm buffs.
I also agree with this. As long as buffs are long duration, immune to dispel, and persistent through death they will never be interesting. Even "short" duration buffs like cunning and savagery are uninteresting.

Swight

Dalayan Adventurer
Any buff with the ability to restore HP/mana should probably retain casting time and costs or they may be exploited. but other that that don't see a ton of reason for buffs to cost/or have cast time.

Quelian

Dalayan Adventurer
Any buff with the ability to restore HP/mana should probably retain casting time and costs or they may be exploited. but other that that don't see a ton of reason for buffs to cost/or have cast time.
I agree that's a reason for cost and mana, but the other option is to put them on a relatively long cooldown and turn them into emergency heals for no mana.

Ranmere

Dalayan Adventurer
Lowbie Paladin self-heal Blessing of Light could use a look -- was talking with a lowbie pal wondering why his self-heal healed for half of what light healing does.

sabuti

Dalayan Elder
Hopefully a lot of these changes get reverted someday. A lot of the "fixes" are just removal of fun IMO. I don't know anyone who's going to come back to play their characters in a worse, weaker state and go back to spending 30 minutes to buff themselves. Hopefully it works out for you guys but I really just don't see the audience this is trying to target.

Paxit

Dalayan Elder
Please take this dagger out of my back whoever decided to go this route without a complete rework of buffs in place and ready to go. Your killing me and us ! On behalf of my guild and Probably a good majority of the sod community this is a plea to reinstate kind lady untill this is ready to go. In some form or w/e like hell idk put her near thurg bounty npc's and have her charge bounty tokens or some other option beside spawning her via a stream in some obscure zone sometimes.

Gargate

Dalayan Elder
Please take this dagger out of my back whoever decided to go this route without a complete rework of buffs in place and ready to go. Your killing me and us ! On behalf of my guild and Probably a good majority of the sod community this is a plea to reinstate kind lady untill this is ready to go. In some form or w/e like hell idk put her near thurg bounty npc's and have her charge bounty tokens or some other option beside spawning her via a stream in some obscure zone sometimes.
You should be used to half finished content by now. For me thats basically the ranger class in a nut shell so Im fairly used to it. Several devs starting reworks then quiting before they're done leaving it a hodgepodge. Tons of other examples in game.

And from what Ive been seeing in other games as of late its becoming standard across the industry. Half finished content left for long periods of time.

In all the years I don't think they've managed to piss off so many players at once. My hats off to them.

totw

Dalayan Adventurer
cognitive dissonance.
You should be used to half finished content by now. For me thats basically the ranger class in a nut shell so Im fairly used to it. Several devs starting reworks then quiting before they're done leaving it a hodgepodge. Tons of other examples in game.

And from what Ive been seeing in other games as of late its becoming standard across the industry. Half finished content left for long periods of time.

In all the years I don't think they've managed to piss off so many players at once. My hats off to them.
this. even if a kind lady returns i would still need to really consider if it's worth it to invest my time on a server where awful changes are closer to intentional than a mistake.

to the staff: please play the actual game. if you can't, at the very least, form your ideas into user/player stories and see if they make sense. i will provide an example using a legitimate system that currently exists in game:

as a player, i want to stream for two hours in order to have a staff member spawn "a kind lady" in an unknown location. then, i want to play where's waldo to buff my characters.

next, ask yourself if that sounds like something the majority of your player-base would ask for. if not, don't implement it.

if you're consistently wrong, then consider resigning. or, continue to run your server into the ground. you own it.

Last edited:

Elysium

Dalayan Adventurer
Man, I just want to play some SoD 1.0... the game looks indistinguishable to me compared to what it was a few years ago. Will that ever be a possibility? Does a server backup and source code still exist from back then?

I'm interested to hear how the ownership of the server has changed hands over the years.

Ek03

Dalayan Beginner
Thank you for addressing the newb quests/newb adepts. I roll/reroll hardcore characters because its hard to find any groups at 65 and it was annoying that I would have to farm adepts for a day or two rather than playing the game in a more organic way. It was even worse advising new players to do the same.

donfolstar3

Dalayan Master
Just dropping my head in out of curiosity how SoD is developing.

It sure was nice to see a front page and this post just loaded with all kinds of wonderful polish. Normalizing spelling, changing spell names to make some kind of in world sense, etc... is ten+ years overdue, so kudos to whoever is taking the time to care. I wish more game devs cared enough to polish, but halfassed seems to be the modern industry mantra.

Very cool to see low level content revisited. Now if you could implement some kind of shrouding/down leveling system so leveling isn't so lonely. Or have you?

Trying to fix buffs, eh? Long duration buffs and lots of exclusive class buffs are bad game design. It's swell to see that at least half of the problem you inherited is being addressed. Hopefully this buff fix keeps heading toward an end to in city buffing and buffers having more in group value.

Last edited:

Faylahs

Dalayan Elder
RIP warriors. Glad i stopped playing Crynel cause now i'd just be sad playing her now.
RIP a.o.e weapons (maybe?). God forbid we get exp at a decent rate when people have 60+ tomes to do.
spell changes are at least decent i think.
In any case im curious how things play out. I dont play anymore but someday the itch may come back.

odizzido2

Dalayan Elder
Maybe I am out of touch but warriors still seem like the best tanks, at least in terms of actually tanking damage. I don't feel like they need to RIP yet.

Top Bottom