Opus rarity, recent change.

Snake

Dalayan Elder
It seems about 2 months ago, Opus rarity was changed, from well balanced, to extremely rare.

I think the change was ment to only affect a group of opus droppers in PL, but for some reason, all zones took the hit.

Please recheck the numbers, they were in a good place when the new system came out, in all zones but PL, as far as I know.

Thanks.

Can say I have killed like 100 guards in og town and not got an opus yet but when I kill Sproutari usually get one within a few hours or sooner. OG big side also seems very low compared to to prenerf PL It does seem a bit odd.

I don't doubt the change was a mistake of sorts, but I doubt that it's the same.

Please check what was changed, and what influence it might have.
I used to a get an opus roughly every wing clear in EF for an EF tome. Last 10 EF tomes, I think we had just 1 opus drop...

Last edited:
Been farming opus dropping mobs for weeks on end from different groups and i can say something was changed. They drop much less frequent, also a lot of people i talked to dont seem to get the opus droprates like it used to be. Could be everybody has a strike of bad luck...

He just said it wasn’t changed, why do you assume he didn’t check?

Didn't I write that? Hmm, let me see... Yes I did.

If I had the skills, I would pull the data on the opus rate from all non PL mobs, from the original change till the "nerf", and then the same after. (Rate as in, How many mobs was killed, divided by, how many opus dropped).
But alas, I don't have access to such data, so I can only go by stuff like:
"I used to a get an opus roughly every wing clear in EF for an EF tome. Last 10 EF tomes, I think we had just 1 opus drop..."

But mr. susurrus, instead of attacking the poster, please attack the topic.
What experiences do you have? Do you farm zones that drop opus a lot, and have not experienced any difference or? Like Paxit posted, he has and he hasn't.

3s and 4s are probably too close to drop rates risk vs reward wise but otherwise it's a crap shoot. You can spend a couple hours in tunnels and maybe come out with one opus or like 3-4. And that's with guaranteed ph gem and two from wardens.

The XP and cash is still trash but hey books or whatever.

Drop rate still seems the same for me. Got some last I farmed and had one drop in a couple clears in FR last night as well. Perhaps you should go through your logs, check items looted during the time frame you think rates were fine and then go through the time frame you think they were changed. See if there is an actual difference.

Rymy said it wasn’t changed and you’re asking him to go through things that were changed...

I used to get normally 1-3 opus or class 3/4 drops per tome finished (as in the time it took to finish say opus of crit evo 2), ever since the change to summoning I have gotten 1 opus and that was roughly a month ago. Since that time I've finished opus crit evo 1, 2, opus of healing 2, a resist tome and 13% into racing minds without a single opus or class 3/4. I've exped almost exclusively in OG, FR, Deepshade (easy side, the pit area, and the hard side), and tears (not even a ph gem there, probably the worst drop rate in game). The opus from roughly a month ago was the last one I've seen.

Some say drop rates were not changed, okay but that would mean a large chunk of the people that regularly farmed for them and had consistent drops over the last 6 months all collectively are having bad luck at the same time for a prolonged stretch. Things have accidentally been broken in the past without anyone knowing until it was looked into, it just seems unlikely to have mass bad luck.

Last edited:
Drop rate still seems the same for me. Got some last I farmed and had one drop in a couple clears in FR last night as well. Perhaps you should go through your logs, check items looted during the time frame you think rates were fine and then go through the time frame you think they were changed. See if there is an actual difference.

Rymy said it wasn’t changed and you’re asking him to go through things that were changed...

I just went through my logs and i can confirm (at least on my side) that droprates are different. Interesting enough, it seems around after October 15th-20th that the drop rates were decreased (for me). I might have had big luck prior, who knows.

I've been farming FR Group 2/Group 3, Catacombs, Citadel, Blood Quary and Deepshade hardside. Before that timestamp opus been dropping rather consistently after some hours of farming. As an example: I got like 1-2 opus per 8-10 hours of farming FR (which imo is fine), these days i get 0-1 opus for the same time.
Farmed Cita for a couple hours in a group and we got 2 opus before, farmed it again a couple times for some hours with 0 opus.
Also we used to get far more opus drops from EF clears (i would say roughly one book per 2 clears), these days we get one every 5-6 clears.

I just went through my logs and i can confirm (at least on my side) that droprates are different. Interesting enough, it seems around after October 15th-20th that the drop rates were decreased (for me). I might have had big luck prior, who knows.

I've been farming FR Group 2/Group 3, Catacombs, Citadel, Blood Quary and Deepshade hardside. Before that timestamp opus been dropping rather consistently after some hours of farming. As an example: I got like 1-2 opus per 8-10 hours of farming FR (which imo is fine), these days i get 0-1 opus for the same time.
Farmed Cita for a couple hours in a group and we got 2 opus before, farmed it again a couple times for some hours with 0 opus.
Also we used to get far more opus drops from EF clears (i would say roughly one book per 2 clears), these days we get one every 5-6 clears.
About the same rates myself, last night I farmed for about 3 hours and not even a ph gem in OG.

Looking back through my drop off was about the same time as yours.

So one of a few things is going on. Either we all had very consistent good luck for a prolonged stretch and its working as intended, or we're all having a prolonged stretch of bad luck that started at around the same time, or something in the dice roll isnt the same.

Can you check your logs for the amount of mobs per opus instead of the amount of time per opus.. you’d need something in the neighborhood of 100000 kills to really start honing in on rates like this..

Last edited:
Can you check your logs for the amount of mobs per opus instead of the amount of time per opus.. you’d need something in the neighborhood of 100000 kills to really start honing in on rates like this..
I don't know about other folks if they keep track of number of kills per hour, exp per kill and so on but in most group 2 zones I was getting fairly consistently 1 opus per every 100-175 kills, with the occasional early opus and once in a while it would take 250~ kills.

The number of kills per hour is mostly why I started to duo the first castle and deepfiends, the number of kills I could get per hour was slightly higher there than other group two zones for me and typically produced an opus within a three hour farm. The sprouts in OG produced opus roughly the same number of kills but took longer to kill, the plants (group 1) would produce an opus in 300-400 kills (I want to say at least 17-19 of my almost 50 opus drops came from plants alone). The numbers stayed pretty consistent since May, noticed a steep decline about a month ago.

Atm I've killed enough to fill 4.25 tomes and have not seen one drop.

Last edited:
Remember that time opus only dropped from one zone, and you couldn’t trade them in for other ones even if you didn’t want that one? Let’s not forget where this all started. Turruj was a literal bloodbath for opus and now you can go loot an opus off a 30k hp mob if you tried hard enough, so let's try giving people some slack here. RNG is a thing; if the guy said there was no change then you got your answer and quit badgering.

If you think opus should get a buff, then channel your thoughts into something more productive than a tinfoil witch hunt. I'm sure more people would hop on board that train, including myself at times. Example... it's all fun when you're soloing/duoing by yourself to farm cash/exp and you're the only one looting opus. What really sucks is when you're in a group, even in the best rated zones for opus, and every person in the group needs one in some way or another. That's when they really seem to drag on forever for me at least.

I've said this before just regarding EXP, but it seems like it could be a cool idea for opus as well. I liked the full group EXP bonuses on live because it gave incentive to include more in your groups, kill at a faster rate, and reduce the solo EXP stigma this server is so keen on. Mirror this over to opus along the lines of something like; if 6 people are on a mob's hate list, increase opus chance by X multiplier. I'm not too savvy on what this would require from a coding/implementation stand point, but seems like it'd be a neat thing to do and would satisfy a lot of the unhappiness in this thread.

Remember that time opus only dropped from one zone, and you couldn’t trade them in for other ones even if you didn’t want that one? Let’s not forget where this all started. Turruj was a literal bloodbath for opus and now you can go loot an opus off a 30k hp mob if you tried hard enough, so let's try giving people some slack here. RNG is a thing; if the guy said there was no change then you got your answer and quit badgering.

If you think opus should get a buff, then channel your thoughts into something more productive than a tinfoil witch hunt. I'm sure more people would hop on board that train, including myself at times. Example... it's all fun when you're soloing/duoing by yourself to farm cash/exp and you're the only one looting opus. What really sucks is when you're in a group, even in the best rated zones for opus, and every person in the group needs one in some way or another. That's when they really seem to drag on forever for me at least.

I've said this before just regarding EXP, but it seems like it could be a cool idea for opus as well. I liked the full group EXP bonuses on live because it gave incentive to include more in your groups, kill at a faster rate, and reduce the solo EXP stigma this server is so keen on. Mirror this over to opus along the lines of something like; if 6 people are on a mob's hate list, increase opus chance by X multiplier. I'm not too savvy on what this would require from a coding/implementation stand point, but seems like it'd be a neat thing to do and would satisfy a lot of the unhappiness in this thread.
From people in this thread, people Ive spoke to in-game and my own experience it isn't so much as looking for drops to be buffed, more it looks like drops declined.

Almost 5 years ago I was one of the people suggesting for opus to drop from non-raid monsters to be more accessible and caught a lot of shit from high tier folks for it.

That said I agree that a bonus in drop rate with more toons on the hate list is a good idea (would hope it didnt come with an even further nerf to solo drops).

Also wish a full group exp bonus was a thing here but thats a whole other issue.

No one has presented any data, just what things feel like.

I was wrong, you need 1 million kills to get within 10% of the actual tome drop rate with 95% confidence.

You’ve been told things haven’t changed, your feelings on the drop rate don’t really mean anything ???

No one has presented any data, just what things feel like.

I was wrong, you need 1 million kills to get within 10% of the actual tome drop rate with 95% confidence.

You’ve been told things haven’t changed, your feelings on the drop rate don’t really mean anything ???
Sadly my logs are set to clear themselves over time, but that said my drops on plants were extremely consistent if no one else was in zone it was almost clockwork every 300-400 kills. There was the occasional early or late drop but 15~ drops were the same rate (I was also resetting the OG guards payout for kills every drop to get an idea of what the numbers were). Sprouts, every 100-175 with the occasional early or late drop. I stopped going to OG for a while because it was getting congested and started duoing FR castle area and got one every 2-4 clears pretty consistently.

From early may until roughly a month ago they were very consistent to almost predictable in getting one to drop. As it stands now I've killed enough things to finish little over 4 tomes without one drop which is way outside of what I was getting. In 6 months I farmed 45~ opus (I would have to go through and recount to get the exact number) getting 6-8 per month and now zero in the past month.

Just seems odd that a number of people were just lucky for 6 months, or a number of people are now unlucky for a prolonged stretch that started at around the same time.

Back
Top Bottom