Newer quest drops on raid mobs

And theres that perfectly useless skippable mob right before him. Y'know that guy with the nodrop horn?

Could huck one or two on him, ratchet him up a bit np.

They're not good for everyone tbh. It's really really setup dependent. The last part needing either pof or tarhyl artifacts means you're already gearing to about there, and there are alternatives based on what you have handy. Nerfing the rewards I think is a poor solution due to this, as well as the fact that it's an awful lot of work even as it stands for reward (appropriate, but a nerfed version I think would not be).

The neck is fine (though that quest is an entirely different story, except for cramming yet more shit onto tarlisha). Slightly above poair neck. It's just that a startling amount of caster necks are hilariously fucking terrible.

The ring from the other quest is actually super A+ terrible, but last I heard that quest wasn't totally done yet.

Aisling

The neck is fine (though that quest is an entirely different story, except for cramming yet more shit onto tarlisha). Slightly above poair neck. It's just that a startling amount of caster necks are hilariously fucking terrible.

Caster necks do need to be looked at Badly, Not many to choose from and most are crap.

For the Parclin, yeah everyone and his brother need him for one quest or another, quite honestly it's the most overkilled mob in the game.

Try to keep this thread focused on which mobs you feel shouldn't drop so many (or any) quest items if possible to make it easier to read for the devs.

Parcelan may have alot of quest drops but it just makes it more of a challenge to do those quests. I was told he is never up and people have been waiting over a year to get him for Vah. When i reached that point in Vah i placed a tracker there and got the timer. Guess what happened? We killed him three times in a row and now i dont track him. Some quests are meant to be more of a challenge than reaching the bottom of Blackburrow.

The PoLore quest [Relic Hunters] really does shit on lower tiered guilds though. Parcelan is just one mob that can be skipped to progress, but these span alot of low tiered content that they need for progression and should be considered for a change.

The PoLore quest [Dungeon Dlevers] is fine as is.

Quests involving mobs with high $ droppable loot is just plain wrong imo....

Quest on :)

Placing quest items on lower tiered raid mobs helps put a little bit of extra competition back into the raid game for the lower levels. It is not sufficient to prevent a guild from progressing, as there are many, many targets (as well as Tradeskilled and droppable gear) to choose from; but it may be sufficient to slow down the progression rate. And, as we've seen from policies/content released that has sped up progression at certain levels - slowing down progression can prevent serious issues later on - such as content bottlenecks at the high end.

While players may not agree with this in some specific cases (For instance, Parcelan might be an example of one that has *too* many quest drops), generally I think it holds true.

There are other low tier raid mobs that could also be used instead for many of these items, if it is determined that one mob has too much congestion, they might be moved. For some reason Stasis Preserver comes to mind - maybe that's just the cruel side of me.

It just seemed more appropriate to have drops from mobs that have had items placed upon them for 'recient' quests picked due to Tier range intended for someone of that level of the quest. As it is, it seems more of an effect of chokeholding the lower tiers into doing tmaps/tradeskill items alone.

The best bet lower tier folks have of doing most of the raid mobs is to join the pickup raids that occure. True that this still gives the gear out to those who need it usually, but in 80% of the cases its the same effect as when we had 65s farming simple maps for folks. NO understanding of the lore or the actual battle itself: just stand there and push a button w/o fear of messing it up. The difficulty of the mobs vs who is currently seeking them is sadly similiar to simply having a super rare spawn in the middle of Athica. First one to hail it gets the prize.

This back-questing itself doesnt hurt gear so much as it does the raid game itself for lower ends that cannot compete with T8+ geared folks walking through the fight. So true that more guilds wont be riseing through the ranks: just folks to join existing guilds that require you to be at a certain gear set before they will recognize you. It still has the same effect: effectively destroying content at lower end. You don't have targets for guilds anymore. You have targets for pickup groups to bring other folks along on until they are geared up enough to be absorbed by higher tier guilds to replace their attrition due to boredom.

It doesn't take much to disrupt folks, even my poorly geared bard can take down some T1 mobs boxing a pre-65 druid. I have just stopped doing it since i found out certain folks were trying to raid those areas and I thought it was just shitty of me to take the experience from them.

Maybe it is just me wishing more folks would try to help others enjoy the game more than trying to get every last drop of juice from the orange. But there is a reason we call them mmo's now instead of mmorpg's. :dumbsad:

The term little in regards to competition really doesn't apply when we are talking about placing desirable item quests in places that can be cleared out by experienced players of higher tier on a half hour day trip by themselves.

Also since we're on the topic, the people at the high end busting through these quests...well we're generally a bit crazy with it. Like spending 18 hours near the computer tracking a mob every 10 minutes crazy. Then sleeping for 2, and waking up to start it again. I've seen people do this, fairly often. I never went to an extreme length like that myself, but I tend to be pretty lucky overall. I don't really think it's fair to expect that type of dedication from lower tiered guilds, which have always been more a casual thing (at the really lower levels, like we're talking can probably still purchase better gear tier).

But back on point.

Mobs who should essentially shout "$$$$CASH MONEY Y'ALL$$$$$" as soon as they spawn should not be dropping quest pieces. Vah assassinations were a notorious offender for this (enthann deity augs were also in the running). Also for logic that this should not be the case, I'd cite the no-dropping of various loot way back that also involved lenny the gargantuan. If popping named 3day mobs was not the single best way to make money on the server this might be different, but it is, and pretty much without other things even being in the ballpark.

Mobs that once held valuable gear while progressing, and pretty much the only gear you're going to find in a group that will have any sort of value for you beyond that of sales or clicky, should not be targets of multiple high end quests, because it causes their original intention to be completely thrown by the wayside. One is plenty. I am of course referring to tarlisha. Given the increasing difficulty of the lore neck on the very end part (emberflow), I think a better solution to a sink here would be:

1) making that particular piece also be available on the other named in cata, albeit at a lower drop rate, thus lowering the emphasis on Tarlisha quite a bit, while still accomplishing being a timesink. Granted, that's one possible solution out of many.

Also, for quests getting tacked on top of quests, unless the quests that come later have been planned for quite some time (or the dev of the earlier quest has mystical precognitive powers, in which case you should contact JREF and collect your million dollars), I doubt they considered in the added amount of timesink while making the original quest, which in many cases seems fairly ridiculous (parcelan=>ytrazliarch, swiftshot, & enthann aug for example).

Really those are some of the primary offenders as far as I'm seeing.

A partial solution to the whole issue (not really relevant to parcelan's issue, which would be a bit different)

1. Keep the drops on the relevant mobs, lower the drop rate. Not by a ton, but a bit.
2. A new encounter in each of the zones, with a 100% drop rate for the quest piece.

I'd cautiously expect this to lower the amount of pressure placed on the regular mobs for progression, while not entirely eliminating it. People may still clear the zone, granted, but I think it would be a better situation than currently exists.

Last edited:
With his dropable loot, The Eternal One is also a difficult one to get for the Vah assassination quests. No complaining, I know that's the way it is. He's been locked down pretty tight the last couple months. Well I did find him up one day but happened to be new years eve and the rest of my guild had lives :) I doubt anything can be done with him or other mobs like him (Rotlord) but those are two where their dropable loot really does hamper any quests involved with him.

I think with eternal one, making his loot nodrop isn't really going to help a lot. Most every time he's due up there are trackbots waiting to watch him pop so they can get groups there moments later. That being said, any little bit helps. Having to sit on a track bot for hours and hours and hours daily definitely puts a cramp in the enjoyment of the lore of the quest.

I'm guilty of clearing T2-T5 mobs just for chances at relics. I try to at least bring some people along for the gear though.

Yes it seems that the more quests that come out the higher the demand to kill the same mobs becomes.

I suggest keeping this in mind when designing new quests involving raid tier mobs. what if PoL quests had new named added to those zones for that quest with just quest pieces. Any higher guild can just run in gank the quest mob and be out. any lower tier guild gets another raid target if hes up and their regular tier mobs.

With his dropable loot, The Eternal One is also a difficult one to get for the Vah assassination quests. No complaining, I know that's the way it is. He's been locked down pretty tight the last couple months. Well I did find him up one day but happened to be new years eve and the rest of my guild had lives :) I doubt anything can be done with him or other mobs like him (Rotlord) but those are two where their dropable loot really does hamper any quests involved with him.

I did him for Vah that night. Can pretty much guarantee you 95% of EO kills are for Vah.

It just seemed more appropriate to have drops from mobs that have had items placed upon them for 'recient' quests picked due to Tier range intended for someone of that level of the quest. As it is, it seems more of an effect of chokeholding the lower tiers into doing tmaps/tradeskill items alone.

The best bet lower tier folks have of doing most of the raid mobs is to join the pickup raids that occure. True that this still gives the gear out to those who need it usually, but in 80% of the cases its the same effect as when we had 65s farming simple maps for folks. NO understanding of the lore or the actual battle itself: just stand there and push a button w/o fear of messing it up. The difficulty of the mobs vs who is currently seeking them is sadly similiar to simply having a super rare spawn in the middle of Athica. First one to hail it gets the prize.

This back-questing itself doesnt hurt gear so much as it does the raid game itself for lower ends that cannot compete with T8+ geared folks walking through the fight. So true that more guilds wont be riseing through the ranks: just folks to join existing guilds that require you to be at a certain gear set before they will recognize you. It still has the same effect: effectively destroying content at lower end. You don't have targets for guilds anymore. You have targets for pickup groups to bring other folks along on until they are geared up enough to be absorbed by higher tier guilds to replace their attrition due to boredom.

It doesn't take much to disrupt folks, even my poorly geared bard can take down some T1 mobs boxing a pre-65 druid. I have just stopped doing it since i found out certain folks were trying to raid those areas and I thought it was just shitty of me to take the experience from them.

Maybe it is just me wishing more folks would try to help others enjoy the game more than trying to get every last drop of juice from the orange. But there is a reason we call them mmo's now instead of mmorpg's. :dumbsad:

I definetly understand what you are saying, but this will always occur while there is progression, the game didnt stop in time! Before i took my break from SoD. Doing Farhags was the hardest shit i ever seen, back then nobody had tomes and such. Now... its a lot easier, still hard, but a lot easier.

I still remember to raid that Monkey in OSM, with my first guild <Aeternus> we brought like 18 peeps, and we had a struggle to beat that dude... or even killing that last named guy in Kedge keep for relics (they were a lot harder to get back then).

The game changes, thats the way it goes... there is nothing dev.team can do tbh... all you need to raid most planar places is like 1 Uber Cleric, 1 Uber tank, and thats it. get some dps and such, and you done. The thing is, some folks like to progress, to learn the strats, and everything, others dont. Just gather with the ppl you match the most. Like when i was in Aeternus, we didnt like to get strats from anyone, or have ppl outside our raids to help. We liked to pwn stuff with our own ppl. There is just so many ways to have fun in a game, besides having your name in a dumb forum for the top #5 nerds. Get your name there, sure, but have fun the process, dont skip the planes...

I feel bad today that so many planes came out while i was gone, and i was already overgeared for then... And now, yeah, i get to PuGraid em, to get that PoLore quest items, it sucks, but, i try to bring n00bs with me for the rotts.

There is still a ton other targets up, just look for then, Competition in EQ is healthy, without the competition, we are in WoW.

Back
Top Bottom