Monks are the class of peace and love.

burt6

Dalayan Elder
DISCLAIMER: I do not think monks are bad or terrible or that there are not a lot of situations in which they shine. This post is mostly focused on the end-game raid game and the role that monks play in that for a *significant* amount of the content. This is about monk dmg output relative to other classes at the higher end. (I am basing this on raid parses of myself and other monks more talented than myself in high end content)

Monk weapons don't keep scale compared to other class weapons. "traditionally" monk or monk/bst weapons had signifigantly better ratios for their tier than multi-class weapons. Compare Wardfist or Fist of Chaos to other tier6 weapons, then look at for instance the Hand of Twisted Magics to other T12 weapons. The ratio advantage that monks enjoy in the lower teirs falls away when if anything is should be increasing to make up for other scaling issues such as Flying kick.
Flying kick really doesn't scale. It is great when you get it but does basically the same thing for 12 teirs and then you get some tomes that make it a little bit better, but it still is no where near the power increase or scaling of some other class skills/spells. Flying kick is kind of our go-to push button damage ability and it accounts for an extremely small percentage of our dps relative to auto-attack even with tomes and that ratio falls as you advance the teirs.
The long and short of it is that *most* of monk damage output is from auto attack. A lot of high end weapons have procs on them that do significant dps on their own but I am hoping there is a solution for the class that isn't a band-aid fix with items. I think that balancing the classes innately is about a million times easier than balancing every weapon that drops for them. (how many times has horok been changed now?)

I know that monks are not a purely dps class and they bring a lot of other things to the table, but unfortunately that is the role they play on *most* raid content. Even their role as a puller has been greatly diminished with zones like Turruj which has maybe 1 pull that you HAVE to have a monk split and sanctum which has none. In that role as DPS they are outpaced by Rogues, Rangers, Bards, Mages, Necros, Enchanters and Wizards and wizards easily. In some situations they are even outpaced by some of the tank classes.

I don't *think* anything so far is too controversial but the forums often surprise me. If you accept most of the above to be true then hopefully we can look at a fix that will help. I have heard lots of easy ideas in talking with other monks and I am going to throw some out and see if any stick.

-Raising the worn crit strike cap for monks.
-Giving flying kick an innate bonus to "kick" procs on boots
-Increasing triple attack significantly
-Giving monks a better single target damage stance, even if it lowered defense considerably.

Or it could be some other creative and new utility feature so that monks could bring something to the table besides auto attack. I am interested to hear debate and ideas so that maybe we can present something to the staff that is not completely terrible.

A dev once said they didn't like the idea of splitting in general and that it'd be nice to rework everything to not require game engine exploits (walling) in order to progress through content.

I agreed with that, but I was also concerned about what our role would be in raids, since from what my (very limited) raid experience has shown me, I'm nowhere near as beneficial as a rogue/beastlord/ranger in terms of utility and dps/dps buffing abilities.

Regarding the Force of Body class tome, rather than having it make Flying Kick itself do more damage, make it give you multiple kicks which can each proc your boots. Force of Body currently is literally 5-10 dps per tome which is completely insignificant.

Honestly I don't think it's a great solution because relying on procs to dps isn't really that great of a mechanic and it could make itemizing boots an issue, but it's better than nothing.

As it is, the vast vast majority of monk dps comes from auto attack which is pretty boring, and also means any substantial class tweaks have to be based around it somehow (via weapons or haste/crit/triple attack/etc) since it seems like a warrior-style change to endurance is off the table for whatever reason. Also we use stance 15 to DPS or offtank and have a couple other situational pulling stances along with a bunch of useless ones. Edit: and also whirlwind stance which takes monks from "0 aoe dps" to "laughable aoe dps" unless you are one of the 3ish monks with blazewind gloves.

Last edited:
I really liked the "comboing attacks" idea that was being tossed around a while back. Monks have Kick, Flying Kick, Round Kick, Tiger Claw, Tail Rake/Dragon Punch and Intimidation. Most of these are unused but it would be cool to see some kind of combo moves involving them to add damage boosts or special debuffs to the mob.

The only problem I'd have with using the button attacks for combos is the unchangeable delays between them. And that all the combos would be usable from lvl 45.

Iron Will: monk innately gains a damage bonus against a target the more that target damages them. Bonus is reset on FD, or maybe not. Balance: tough. Might be too good for monk tanking.

The only problem I'd have with using the button attacks for combos is the unchangeable delays between them. And that all the combos would be usable from lvl 45.

Iron Will: monk innately gains a damage bonus against a target the more that target damages them. Bonus is reset on FD, or maybe not. Balance: tough. Might be too good for monk tanking.

ok yeah the button lock out probably ruins that.

since this is about the super duper high end monk i don't know how well iron will would work when mobs hit like mac trucks and everyone is super scared about pulling agro.

I dont know if we really have to reinvent the wheel for this. Just an innate bonus to single target damage that scales with gear would be enough. So like upping the cap for atk/crit or an innate bonus to triple attack or procs, or an extra chance to hit. Even a super boring straight dmg modifier, or being able to innately ignore some of a mobs ac would be fine.

The problem as it exists seems significant to me. To reach even bard dps we would need to be doing something close to 40% more damage than we are doing now. To reach ranger (which I personally think is about where monks should be) we would need to be doing as much as 80% more dps. These numbers are not hard and fast and change from fight to fight and parse to parse, but they represent a ballpark goal.

I can't speak for all monks but I would be very happy for even a 25-30% dps adjustment with the intention of keeping an eye on it for a few months and then re-evaluating later.

Last edited:
Reinventing the wheel is much more interesting!

I'd rather avoid making caps on advanced item effects inconsistent for just one class if at all possible. Besides which, there isn't really a good control for ATK or crit % based on tier, you could get way over cap for those by tier 8 or so if you horde the right items. Maybe if it were from a tome or something...

I could maybe see like monks ignoring x% of mob AC when they crit or something, except that like 90% of pretty much everything in the raid game use default AC values for their level, so that doesn't really improve with tier in that sense... although it would still be better as you get crit tomes and all that I guess. Might be hard to math out how much should be ignored though since AC has softcaps, so x% AC penetration would not equal x% more damage. Would be something that players would never feel sure about.

I would much rather see an interesting and fun new system than "monks hit everything 30% harder than before now, just because."

Reinventing the wheel is much more interesting!

I'd rather avoid making caps on advanced item effects inconsistent for just one class if at all possible. Besides which, there isn't really a good control for ATK or crit % based on tier, you could get way over cap for those by tier 8 or so if you horde the right items. Maybe if it were from a tome or something...

I could maybe see like monks ignoring x% of mob AC when they crit or something, except that like 90% of pretty much everything in the raid game use default AC values for their level, so that doesn't really improve with tier in that sense... although it would still be better as you get crit tomes and all that I guess. Might be hard to math out how much should be ignored though since AC has softcaps, so x% AC penetration would not equal x% more damage. Would be something that players would never feel sure about.

I would much rather see an interesting and fun new system than "monks hit everything 30% harder than before now, just because."

I want to be clear, I really liked your idea and think it would be pretty cool. I did not mean to poo on it. I just meant to say that it doesn't necessarily have to be some revelation. I think it's a balance issue at heart and while I might prefer a creative fix, they are often much harder to balance and for the players/staff to evaluate the results of. At this point I just want to bring something to raids besides my lovely personality. As long as the staff is aware it is an issue and is thinking abut a fix then I am fine.

Last edited:

I agree completely. Every other class in the game is more complex in combat. Monks turn on auto attack, feign every so often, and use Flying Kick every time it refreshes. There's no decision making or resource management or timing. The only engaging part of the monk class is pulling but we don't actually do all that much pulling at the higher tiers.

I think the combo idea sounds pretty neat, but make it automatic instead of button pushing. Also can the special moves double or triple attack because that would add some dps too.

I think a really neat idea would be for the special move has a chance to "proc" or "combo" the next lower special move at maybe a 50% or so chance.
For instance:
Push flying kick button-50% chance to auto round kick, if that goes off 50% chance of tiger, if that goes off 50% chance of dragon punch, and if that goes off 50% chance of a normal kick. I think it would be cool if all of these had chance to proc both weapon proc style buffs (rbow) as well as appropriate boot proves on kicks.

Could possibly combo this with a tome and have base % go from 20-25 range up to 75-80 range depending on numbers an testing. It would give and incentive to have some flavor of boot procs and potentially add dps with extra kicks/procs/and might be a reason to have a +kick modifier.

With recent changes and monk dps hurting might be a way to up their dps, only drawback I can see would be potential for a lot of aggro if you get lucky with procs and a big combo.

Sorry but I do not agree with there being an instance where monks should be promoted to tank.

/paladin rant on
Paladins are shafted from getting better aggro spells (just need 1 spell before runic 2 and the class can be totally fixed and allow us to tank easier) because everyone just wipes their behind with our "healing". Promoting monks to tank will just further punch paladins without the ability of getting runic 2 on the face.
/paladin rant off

Thought monks were already better than paladins when accounting for skill.

Paladins are fine to everyone on this server except anyone who plays a paladin or is not Bango. I just dont want a reason to say dont bring the paladin just tank it with a monk. (on the same tier anyways. they already did that tiers ahead of the paladin)

Maybe monks could gain insight as they fight so that the longer they fought an enemy the more deadly their strikes would become as they learn it's weaknesses. So short fights would not be affected so much and exp group fights would barely change.

Maybe intimidate or one of the less used combat abilities could be altered so that it would put a counter on the mob every time it cycled that added say 5% extra damage with each attack from the monk. So in long drawn out fights the monks would start out in their relatively weak state but by the end of the fight might be able to do very respectable DPS. This could be tweaked in a lot of different ways...... Maybe the debuff wears off if not reapplied within 25 seconds? Maybe it wears off if you feign death? It would obviously be situational and there would be many fights where you wouldn't be able to use it a lot or at all, but those are usually not the fights that really need to be fixed. It would still not give monks anywhere near the burn phase power of some of the other classes but in long fights but it might make for a little bit of additional depth to the class and raid leaders having to decide whether to have the monk offtank or stay on the bosses.

There might need to be a cap and 5% might be too much or might not be enough. But if it takes a full minute or so for monks to catch bards and maybe 2 minutes to catch rangers that might be interesting. Someone who has access to more numbers than I do would have to figure out an amount that is appropriate.

Monk dps is pretty lacking in exp group scenarios though, not just long-lived raid bosses.

I dont need to be the king of everything, I think monks have a decent group role. i would be ok with more dmg there too but I dont think it is AS big of a problem, monks tank a lot more in xp groups, offtank a lot more, pull a lot more. Do respectable ae dmg for a melee etc. I'm not saying they are perfect in groups but I feel they bring more to the table anyway.

I think a stamina burning (but not exhausting) stance that really ups dps, with significant tanking drawbacks should be added. This could be a new stance or could take the place of monk stances 4,5,7,and/or 8. All of these are really bad/useless.

Maybe intimidate or one of the less used combat abilities could be altered so that it would put a counter on the mob every time it cycled that added say 5% extra damage with each attack from the monk

I like this idea. It kind of reminds me of the 5 point palm of death maneuver from Kill Bill.

So say you hit Intimidate it adds 5% damage flat for 15 seconds OR until another charge is applied. This effect stacks up to 5 times. Upon the 5 charge landed the attack explodes with a big damage hit and the maneuver resets to zero. The maneuver would also reset to zero by letting the 15 second timer run out.

You could ever get more in depth and have the 5th charge be triggered by say... Flying Kick, Tail Rake, Dragon Punch, Eagle Strike, Round Kick and have them do different things, other than just big damage; Mob stuns, Debuffs, Snares, Knockbacks, Jinx(miss of next mob swing).

I dont need to be the king of everything, I think monks have a decent group role. i would be ok with more dmg there too but I dont think it is AS big of a problem, monks tank a lot more in xp groups, offtank a lot more, pull a lot more. Do respectable ae dmg for a melee etc. I'm not saying they are perfect in groups but I feel they bring more to the table anyway.

I don't think monks should be king dps in any situation, they shouldn't be. But the only time I ever pulled or offtanked in an exp group was Rohk trash, or if I was 2boxing somewhere and random other people decided to join me. So getting out damaged by every other dps class and bards and certain healers (probably no longer the case with their proc dps and passive healing nerfed) doesn't seem very balanced.

The intimidate idea seems like a pretty easy thing to implement and balance that would help in both raids and exp situations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom