Main Quest Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this is the wrong place to put this suggestion but since it was on the progression of the main quest I thought it would be a good place for it.

While it may be a bit early to sepculate on the complete progression of the main quest, it seems like in either of your decessions good or evil you will be forced to take hits against predominately evil cities or predominately good cities (respectively). However this seems like it may prove a problem to people who may have started of good and started off dubious or KOS to a lot of evil races and wants to choose to be evil now. In this case we would be hated by both by good and evil cities and have few options available. If the main quest is supposed to polarize the sides of good and evil would it be possible to set up two seperate good and evil factions that rival each other in the same way that say Dragon and Giant factions rival? This way if someone who was good up to this point decides to switch to being evil during their main quest, they may still start KOS to a lot of evil races when they first switch but can start proving themselves to the evil side. This would make sense in a roleplay sense as an evil faction may be willing accept someone who was once good but would not trust them or deal with them until they have done many tasks to assure their loyalty.

Maybe you could start raising the faction by collecting newport citizen heads, killing specific NPCS that progress in difficulty and level or by doing evil quests that give you faction to all the evil races. Also to keep people from flip-floping sides maybe make it so that you have to go through a specific evil quest giver that will only talk to you if you have chosen to ally with evil (like a specific evil flag on you character). Also you could cap the different things you could do for faction in a similiar way manner as how newport bounties work (can only do gnoll ears for so long, etc.) to keep higher level players from totally wiping Newport all the time.

Just an idea I wanted through out there since I think it would be kind of cool to have my character who has been good up to this point (and may have upset quite a few evil NPCs on the way) switch to evil but at the same not be forced to live the rest of my evil life as a hermit since no one will talk to me wtih anything beside their fists (or sharp swords :eek: ) .

PS another benefit of a system like this is that you will likley see two major cities instead of Newport being the one. You can have Newport be the good city and maybe Grobb the evil one. It would make the newport vendors less a coveted items as you would see more traffic in the main evil city and a lot of the other more out of the way evil cities.

Faction Hit

<disclaimer>
<This is a petty RP issue, take it with a grain of salt.>

"Your faction standing with Quest just got worse"

Being a human wizard, and a bit of a prood, I was more than a little dismayed when I came accross a gnome in NBL that asked me to help spread corruption to server his needs. Naturally, I reacted as any self repecting citizen of freeport (in good standing, I might add) would.

I determined the Gnome to be as weak a creature as he was pethetic and evil, and naturally killed him on the spot.

(actually, I checked his spawn time in ooc, and shouted through the zone to make sure no one needed him. Then I killed him.)

Immediately I became aware that my standing with the Gods that rule over Dalaya had somehow been diminished by this rather necessary act.

(A quick check with the priestess verified that the damage was minimal, and convinced me to no longer kill NPCs until the quest tells me to.)

I understand the reason for this faction hit, to prevent folks from screwing over everyone else who does the quest, but wondered if there is an alternative...

Could we either:
Make the NPCs a rapid enough spawn (which this one is) that killing them does not matter...
Make the NPCs immune to harm until a piece of the quest triggers a violent encounter with them...
Make them difficult enough to kill that no individual would bother (for later parts of the quest perhaps)

This is an EXTREMELY minor detail, but one that from a RP perspective I am interested in. On live there was a certain DE guard by the borthern border of neriak that I would make a detour to kill anytime I was within a neighboring zone. I just like to kill the enemy NPCs when I have a chance. I do, however, fully expect such actions to make me unwelcome in certain towns/guilds.

Just curious if it is worth looking into or too time intensive to bother with (I suspect the latter).

Make the NPCs a rapid enough spawn (which this one is) that killing them does not matter...

This could be abused. It would make him a great xp target for anyone that didn't care about their neutral faction(and I'm going to guess lots of people wouldn't - considering how many carelessly killed Newport guards/citizens and still do).

Make the NPCs immune to harm until a piece of the quest triggers a violent encounter with them...

We use this sometimes, but it's really kind of lame to use it too often.

Make them difficult enough to kill that no individual would bother (for later parts of the quest perhaps)

Again, it's something that isn't used very often. It woudn't really make much sense for level 65 Taroceth to be sitting by the bridge, then all the sudden you're attacked by level 20 Taroceth when walking with the Priestess.

You can repair neutral faction though if you absolutely need to - it'll be costly but we added in the ability to. Just use caution in the future and don't kill a quest NPC until you're absolutely told to(especially one which is mentioned that you can visit as a choice).

Thanks Xeldan, all well explained reasons. I'll just have to take my frustration out on some other mobs.

Xeldan said:
You can repair neutral faction though if you absolutely need to - it'll be costly but we added in the ability to.

Thats good to know.

Xeldan said:
Just use caution in the future and don't kill a quest NPC until you're absolutely told to(especially one which is mentioned that you can visit as a choice).

Ummm.... yeah, I figured this out as soon as the faction message displayed. Trust me, I wont be attacking any quest NPCs, no matter how evil they are, until another quest PC tells me to.

Has there been a change to the drop rate of corrupted blood? My primary had a lot less trouble finding even 1 corrupted blood than my secondary is having. But then again it could just be that I'm getting an unlucky series of mobs who don't have it. Thanks again for this wonderful quest though.

I don't know if the drop rate has been increased or not, but before the quest was implemented corrupted blood didn't drop very often. I got really lucky that I was able to collect 3 of them over the course of level/faction work in WBL and I saved them for a rainy day - been sitting in the bank for prob 15 lvls or so.

Thinkmeats said:
Is there a neutral path option, or are there plans to implement one?

There's nearly always a more neutral choice to follow. The exception is Adrenia and Taroceth.

After doing the Good/Evil path of the main quest, I returned to Loremaster Tresaria, and she said:

[Fri Dec 23 15:43:08 2005] Loremaster Tresaria tells you, 'I see you have returned. More enlightened about the corruption Kaezul has spread on these lands. And at the same time, you have made a choice in which path to believe in. Nevertheless, Kaezul is someone of great power... you have learned of his Legion and that they are merely people like yourself, and you have also learned of his plagues and how he has touched the lands of Dalaya. Now you should learn of Kaezul himself, what he looks like, and how he acts.'
[Fri Dec 23 15:43:08 2005] - [What is this opportunity?]
[Fri Dec 23 15:43:08 2005] - [Then that is my next step?]

I chose the Opportunity path, giving the key phrase. Then I went and spoke to the folks I needed to, came back, defeated the elemental, and then Tresaria wasn't responding to hails again. Looking back in the logs, I tried "Then that is my next step" and this prompted her to give me the information about the next step.

She should ideally give the next step option in response to a hail after completing the opportunity. Without logs, I would have been lost. ;)

Found another... oddity:

[Fri Dec 23 18:11:55 2005] You say, 'Hail, Deepmaster Talain'
[Fri Dec 23 18:11:55 2005] Deepmaster Talain says, 'Welcome in the name of the Deep One, my friend. I am Deepmaster Talain, head of the Church of the Deep One.'
[Fri Dec 23 18:11:55 2005] - [I come seeking holy water for an exorcism.]
[Fri Dec 23 18:12:01 2005] You say, 'I come seeking holy water for an exorcism'
[Fri Dec 23 18:12:02 2005] Deepmaster Talain tells you, 'Ahh, then here. Please, take one of our holy symbols.'
[Fri Dec 23 18:12:02 2005] You recieve Holy Water from Deepmaster Talain.

Asked for holy water, got holy water, but he said to take a holy symbol. Unless his holy symbol is actually holy water, but that'd be really strange. ;)

Helping Seeker Herina:

She requires 4 pages to be found deep inside FR. I been at this for over 4 hours ( ;( ) and found out that Page2 is very hard to find. In 13 page drops i got:
#1 - 3 times
#3 - 5 times
#4 - 5 times
And after over 4 hours of camping #2 finally came of off Tyana the Forsaken (named that is in a room after the underwatertunnel). Is this right?

Anyway, also i believe the higher level 'faded knight' mobs in the basement should be able to drop them. To give the high level folks a bit more chance to find the pages.

I'm at a similar point to Bettil's and have found two things to take issue with. First, tongues dropping in Mielech C seems extremely out of line level wise with the rest of the quest. Second, the pages as a whole (discounting the page 2 problem) are extremely rare, and prove a major bottleneck.

Tongues are being added to lower level frogs, and the pages will be made to drop properly (and more often).

I love you more than you could ever know Wiz. On topic however, I'd also recommend a relocation of some Fae Berry spawns, the one I fetched was literally near nothing unless you consider A_Big_Tree_09212 to be a landmark in Faentharc.

I've now been camping this place for over six hours, including the named spawn there has not been a single page II drop, you sure they were fixed Wiz?

EDIT- He's usually able to change this level of stuff without a patch, just got my page off the named though :-\

Corporate said:
I've now been camping this place for over six hours, including the named spawn there has not been a single page II drop, you sure they were fixed Wiz?

There hasn't been a patch since he said they would be fixed, so it probably hasn't gone in yet. ;)

Exciting new question- is there stuff implemented past the five quests? I finished them and the High Seeker still won't talk to me.

EDIT- Found the problem, the herb collection quest does not flag you, have the decanter and everything but can still redo it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom