Mage Pet switch

Kirin Folken

Dalayan Elder
Ponderings of Magician Pets.
Might be more work then its worth but Ill toss it out thier anyways.

Currently mages are locked into picking 1 pet type, and useing it until they ether kill it off or it dies.

*relic pet is a whole different can-o-worms*

The thought, instead of having mage spells summon pets as they do now, to change the pet summon spells into pet buff spells. These pet buffs would be elmental types.

You would summon a generic Mage pet.
Then cast your elemental buff on the pet.
*Gaining Proc Type of Element
*Hp buff or debuff Depending on Element Type
*AC?? Atk?? what ever is left
*Hefty Resist boost to that element

Elemental buffs would have the corisponding attributes of their choosen element, along with a illusion effect.

Elemental pet buffs would always over ride a Elemental Pet buff. So if you currently were useing a Elemental Fire, you could cast Elemental Air and it would overwrite the Elemental Fire buff.

This would add flexability to magicans pets, without the need to constantly kill off thier old pet (along with any gear that might be on the pet).

Only hing on this, might be stacking issues with current buffs. But with reworking the base Summoned pet, could probley work around what the buff does to work with other buffs correctly.

(Sadly this has no impact at all on the 65+++ game, sorry Uber tier toons :D )

Last edited:
Choosing which pet to use is an intended part of mage class design.

At level 1 they receive a tool to help them change between pets with minimum mana cost.

Yeah and we know how borken mages are in level 1-63. Givening them a bit of flexxibility of switching pets could upset the delicate balance :)

Choosing which pet to use is an intended part of mage class design.

At level 1 they receive a tool to help them change between pets with minimum mana cost.

I wouldn't call the cost for burnout, ds on anything but firepet, tils intervening enchantment, bauble of battle, two weapons (possibly 2 hour recast ones), petarmor, and every single other buff you've managed to get your pet a minimum.

That being said, this is similar to what we suggested a year ago, which was denied for some reason or another that I don't recall.

Thanks vistachiri, you bring up some great points about how rough it is on a mage to switch out pets.

Last edited:
The biggest mage problem is when you get that heal at 24 and then realize you don't get another for like 30 levels. fuck that.

I like this suggestion because rebuffing/resummoning/all that shit is the reason I cannot play a mage.

The biggest mage problem is when you get that heal at 24 and then realize you don't get another for like 30 levels. fuck that.

It's rough, but as a mage you should get in the habit of not relying on your petheal because it continues to blow, and instead free a slot and just drag a healer around with you whereever you go.

Agree, Mage heals are pretty pathetic. Your almost always better off just nuking the mob then trying to heal your pet. Useing the heal has a really crappy pet fixer up in between fights (which again the refresh time on it stinks).

Thou thats a different can of worms :)

This pet buff system could also be made to work on the relic pet as well, if the Relic pet was tweeked a bit. (currently a straight up buff would have some interaction issues.. like Fire pets DS vs Relic pet DS probley makeing it so the buff currently wouldn't even land)

Thier are so few active High End Mages in play to ask how they would feel about the Relic Pet loseing its current DS/stun proc.

Functionaly...

Fire Element Buff
+ATK
+Innate Haste?
Proc: Fire DD
-Hp Debuff
+Fire Resistance buff

Water Element Buff
Proc: Cold DD + Slow componet
???
???
+Cold Resistance Buff

Air Element Buff
Proc: Stun DD
???
???
+Posion Resistance Buff

Earth Element Buff
Proc: Root.. (use Druid Root line.. at least has a DD componet)
+Hp Buff
-Slow (doesn't attack as fast as others)
+Taunt?
+AC buff?
+Disease Resistance Buff

Or something along those lines.... *shrug*

Yeah and we know how borken mages are in level 1-63. Givening them a bit of flexxibility of switching pets could upset the delicate balance :)
while I will say mages are pretty bad at end game, I Don't think leveling mages really have an issue. Sure they can't solo everything in the game like a bard or necro, but they still fair better than many classes. Now 65 is a whole different bad can of worms.

while I will say mages are pretty bad at end game, I Don't think leveling mages really have an issue. Sure they can't solo everything in the game like a bard or necro, but they still fair better than many classes. Now 65 is a whole different bad can of worms.

I argee, more sarcasm in that post then truth for sure :)

Leveling up my mage I definitely argee, mages issues are more of a post 65, then pre. However certain issues start to show themselves as you level.

Back
Top Bottom