Is there an appetite for additional tradeskill recipe development?

Hingle

Dalayan Adventurer
Hey all,

I was wondering if there would be an interest in the development of additional tradeskill recipes. I'm thinking around the following categories:
  1. Finishing out Baking to 250 and developing high-end recipes for low to moderate stat, hp/mp, resist, and AC boosts.
  2. Finishing out Pottery to 250 and developing high-end recipes. Perhaps including things like idols/figurines, range slot items, cookware/steins/mugs/glassware for baking and brewing. Additional ceramic items could also be used for tinkering components.
  3. Adding high-end recipes to Brewing with better stat, hp/mp, resist, and AC boosts. Also adding some brewing items with firework effects (like celebration champagne bottles). I was also thinking moltolv cocktails or grenades.
  4. Adding recipes to fletching to craft saps, clubs, and staves with similar stats to blacksmithing weapons.
  5. Adding recipes to jewel crafting for bracelets and veils with similar stats to other jewel crafting recipies.
  6. Adding gems to the result tables from mining.
  7. GM tradeskill "epic" quests with no-drop/lore final combine results. Perhaps an aug?
I kind of wanted to ask permission before I start spending time working on this. Perhaps there are reasons why the game can't accommodate some of these ideas? Some things that come to mind may be item/class balance, database restrictions, tradeskill combine restrictions. I'm not sure what barriers might be out there.

LMK if this is an idea worth spending some time on and which of the above seem like the most fertile ground for expansion.

Cheers!
Huffle/Kataluna

Last edited:
Kinda had a creative manic episode around item # 7 above (GM tradeskill "epic" quests with no-drop final combine results).

Tradeskill Capstones Brainstorm
Alchemy Capstone
  • Quest to craft a philosopher's stone (no drop)
  • Philosopher's stone is ingredient in the GM potion and returned on success or failure
  • GM potion can grant a massive self-buff that is better than BBR. Perhaps 600 HP, 400 Mana, some effect consistent with lore of the alchemist's stone granting eternal life… maybe huge regen.
Blacksmith/Tailor/Jewelcrafting/Fletching Capstone
  • Quest for an all-encompassing rune pattern (no drop) specific to your tradeskill. Maybe call it intricately-matrixed rune pattern or something.
  • Gather rare materials for your craft
  • Use no drop rune pattern and materials to craft GM capstone aug. Would provide all the beneifts of every aug choice. AC, hp, mana, all stats, all resists. (no drop, lore)
  • No-drop rune pattern is returned on success or failure
  • If deleted from equipment you can craft another with your rune pattern.
Baking Capstone
  • Same idea where you quest for an ingredient that does not get consumed on success or failure (no drop)
  • Food with really great stats and effects (no drop)
Brewing Capstone
  • Same idea where you quest for an ingredient that does not get consumed on success or failure (no drop)
  • Drink with really great stats and effects (no drop)
Tinkering
  • Quest to craft a special tool (no drop)
  • Tool is an ingredient in the GM recipe and returned on success or failure
  • Perhaps the capstone for tinkering should be a wearable or clicky gadget. Maybe a good place to introduce the gate neck keyring everyone's been hoping for for so long.
Pottery
  • Quest for a special tool (no drop)
  • Tool is an ingredient in the GM recipe and returned on success or failure
  • GM recipe could be a number of things
  • Badass idols or figurines of power?
  • Inexhaustible resurrection urn? -- Maybe canopic jars. Something with Egyptian lore. Store the heart, lungs, stomach, liver, intestines. All go in a canopic chest for final combine. The result is a mass-res clicky from inventory?
  • Call of the Hero clicky?
Mining?
  • Quest for item with significant + to the skill. Enables ability to mine additional rare ingredient. Maybe a gem or something that can be vendored really well.
Fishing?
  • Similar to mining?
Forage?
  • Similar to mining?
Make Poison?
  • Don't see much need for a capstone here. This is a class-specific tradeskill and could create a class balance issue.

Last edited:
Make Poison?
  • Don't see much need for a capstone here. This is a class-specific tradeskill and could create a class balance issue.

Make Poison could have use for a no-drop poison that is a significant upgrade to the other poisons. As it stands currently, I dont have to skill this at all, I just buy the high end poisons.

All told, your ideas & drive are great!

Made a lot of progress on baking recipes this week. Should have some ideas to share soon.

Had a brainstorm idea for pottery. Items from this tradeskill could also include:
  • Figurines of Wonders Power (like in D&D). It would be a clicky that summons a pet. Perhaps some are just for fun (level 1 and no real combat prowess). Higher level recipes may provide a pet with useful utility. Maybe it buffs you. Maybe it can provide some DPS. This could be a good item for a capstone recipe.
  • Idols of Power that enhance spellcasting (like in Wheel of Time). These can offer a variety of effects depending on the type of Idol. Spell crit, +% damage, mana regen, etc. Possibly melee versions as well.

I really like the idea of expanding some of these unfinished tradeskills. It seems like a natural fit to build into higher level old world zones and ikisith. There are a lot of existing items (meats, herbs, cash loots) that could be developed into recipes.

Old world spots with some workable drops and potential for seeding new items would be exp zones with humanoid monsters that might have some kind of culture. Perhaps Kedge, Everchill, and Fire Grotto. We already see some recipes tied to drops from Mielech and Paw that we could expand on. You might work in current unused loot drops in Emberflow / Windstone if you wanted to get ambitious. In ikisith, where there is a wealth of weird body part drops that found on monsters from remnants to murk to kaesora, I'd like to see some recipes added. Like I mentioned in my post on the murk, Gruplok tradeskill recipes for at least baking, brewing, and pottery would be a nice way to flesh out the faction - cool stuff that they could make with things that they scavenge while keeping below the radar of the Kaezulians.

I believe gruplok recipies do exist they just don't activate unless you manually type the quest text.

I'm currently in the process of building baking recipes. My intent is to present a draft to the developers when it is complete in scope.

@DodoBot - DM me (here or discord) a list of any meats/herbs/drops/etc. that you feel should be included in the recipes and i'll work them in. Some indication of rarity/difficulty would be helpful to in order to properly slot them in the right trivial range. I'm really interested in meats that come from the locations you have mentioned. Kedge and Overgrowth also seem like good possibilities. There are lots of great drops from various old zones that currently don't have a use that could become part of a recipe. I need lists!!!

Cheers!

It's looking to be around 80-90 new recipes we've outlined so far for baking. May increase based on the need for sub-combines. At this time it looks to be about 12-15 adds to blacksmithing, tinkering, and pottery in support of these recipes. Good progress! Getting pumped!

if it helps there is a meat vendor in thurgadin for no killing involved recipies. might be interesting to see throwing get some support on the tradeskill side(think Gnomish Firebombs are the only current throwing tradeskill item). like maybe a throwing version of a quiver for bag space conservation. I also noticed the dampened drugs(the buff items in make poison haven't checked the higher ones) feel a bit weak compared to what you can get from alchemy for a toon of that minimum level.

As far as food recipes go, I would actually kind of like to see some more focus on regional cuisine too: more lore about what each race/city eats, making meals from various cooked ingredients to make feasts (and pairing things with wine, anyone?), and a look at making food stuffs be basically in every zone. Food should be important to each culture, and there should be plenty of leads for finding ingredients and recipes.

For general usefulness, we certainly have a big gap between cooked food and random top end / bounty food items to fill as far as food stats go. Speaking of, theres also certain food stats that just dont work right now that probably need attention (pretty sure evo mod and dmg on the cryospine eggs dont work, for one).

Can we also get some of the 0 trivial combines added, like 10x rock lumps to create loose rocks and 6x loose rocks to create minerals? I know there are a few others that do not get added to the trivial list.

Alchemy could use some short duration buffs, like the Gruplok Attuning Rod or increases in DD/DoT damage like from Fulmination with appropriate reuse.

I also would like to see specialized augs that can be added, like type 5 being able to craft FT and regen augs, Type 2 able to craft melee item effects (crit/stun/atk) and worn DS augs, and Type 3 being able to add in foci augs and spell ward/mind shield. Type 4 could add in procs, but being currently only for bows is kinda meh, would like to see 1h/2h weapons be able to slot type 4's, and maybe more people would expand into tinkering.

I would also love to be able to craft nodrop augs as a bonus to maxing out a tradeskill as stated above, even if it's made lore.

Transport pots would be nice for expanding pottery and adding to tinkering. Like being able to get essences from raid zones and make port pots to there, or collecting resources from a region and linking it to druid rings. Same could be done with tinkering to port to wizard spires.

Baking is in the works!​

As far as food recipes go, I would actually kind of like to see some more focus on regional cuisine too: more lore about what each race/city eats, making meals from various cooked ingredients to make feasts (and pairing things with wine, anyone?), and a look at making food stuffs be basically in every zone. Food should be important to each culture, and there should be plenty of leads for finding ingredients and recipes.

For general usefulness, we certainly have a big gap between cooked food and random top end / bounty food items to fill as far as food stats go. Speaking of, theres also certain food stats that just dont work right now that probably need attention (pretty sure evo mod and dmg on the cryospine eggs dont work, for one).

Regional cuisine is a big focus, and Huffle and I are working on this right now. The plan is that each main race will have 4 recipes built around a theme cooking style. Each of the 4 recipe types boosts a group of stats, with additional stats being possible for recipes over 200 skill. There will also be a few special recipes for NPC races and other goodies.

We want to have a very detailed proposal ready for feedback from a few of the tradeskillers in the community within the coming weeks, and we hope to be able to submit that to the dev team for balancing and tweaks subsequent to the TSer feedback. More complicated recipes will have sub combines, and there will be some supplemental items added to brewing, foraging, and quests to round it out. Stay tuned...

I think a no-drop aug that can only be made at 250 skill would be a neat way to reward all the carpal tunnel enduring clicking that tradeskillers have to go through.

Should have posted this a year ago. Wanted to share in case anyone was interested in what our ideas for baking looked like. Note there are multiple tabs on the spreadsheet. 2nd tab has most of the content.

For stats/flavors we were kinda setting up like Zelda botw. Each race had a theme to their cuisine and there were spicy, savory, hearty and soothing flavor varieties for each theme.

Thought it would be fun to share to bookend this thread. Cheers.

Here’s the alchemy ideas.

Back
Top Bottom