A Fresh Look at Gruplok Faction and the Murk

DodoBot

Dalayan Elder
A number of years ago, I made a post about making the gruplok town a real city - there was a lot of hay made about how the gruploks are supposed to be pathetic, they are always under the watcful eye of Kaezul's legions, and there is no reason for them to have anything good going for them. It has been years since then, and we now have fully functioning banks and clockworks in Ikisith. Whereas the refuge has always been pretty polished, the murk still feels very flat. I'm wondering if there is any way we can revisit the idea of a small amount of progress for the gruploks (and the murk in general). The quests there are pretty grindy and annoying, and unless you are a port class, there is very little reason to get very far on the faction (especially in light of the Ambient Accumulator) ... I'd propose the following.
  • Add shovels, bandages, fishing pole, and fishing supplies to the initial gruplok merchant in town. I don't think this is either game or lore breaking, even for a faction as sad as the gruploks.
  • Add a small faction increase to killing undead frogloks in the murk, EJ, and remnants. Cap it at the start of Apprehensive. Start it with a flag after you finish gift for the gruploks and talk to the Healer. This reduces the grind from dubious to apprehensive which is currently awful, and it allows someone who grinds this to have access to a few more quests to start out questing proper at apprehensive instead of dubious.
  • Consider adding class trainers for classes the gruploks have (rogue at least, in light of the poison changes - perhaps shaman, ranger, cleric, warrior) - Maybe add a supply vendor for class specific needs in these cases. Nothing fancy.
  • Take a look at murk tradeskill items (swap diamond, weave of existence, gruplok clay idol). Improve drop rates for precursor items and consider adding other tradeskill rewards that can be envisioned within the context of a hunter / gatherer village. Maybe the gruplok could even get a mini-facelift that focuses on unique, Ikisith-specific, tradeskilling.
  • Utilize unused NPCs within the murk town to provide a few new quest options at each faction tier - and tie them into the other factions in Ikisith... There are gruploks in the refuge and elsewhere. Perhaps they would like to communicate with their brethren.
  • Improve loot for Skiris`ka the Loathing and / or add a couple of named in the Murk
  • Add some way to bank in the zone... it doesn't have to be at the frog village. You could do something with the seekers / resistance / refuge. This will continue to be a gripe for people who are freshly Ikisith flagged. When we have both EJ and LOIO as options for banking (both behind a lot of gatekeeping), I'd like to see something for new players here. Purely a quality of life issue.
  • Maybe step up the Kaezulian patrols and add some semi scripted events to make the zone feel more alive... If the gruplok truly are under the eye of Kaezul, maybe we could show some evidence of their presence outside their corner of the zone near Ikild.
I'd welcome any feedback on these or other suggestions to improve this central-but-dull faction and zone. Thoughts or ideas?

Alota good points here, but the biggest takeaway is this : The quests there are pretty grindy and annoying, and unless you are a port class, there is very little reason to get very far on the faction (especially in light of the Ambient Accumulator). The acummulator should have never had a murk option it should be remnants or EJ instead, one grind quest reward screwing over another is no way to run a railroad.

At some point, I just figured I was the only one who liked the Murk and those frogs. Seriously though, why would you bother with the place nowadays? I remember how it was made less relevant shortly after release once people started getting flagged for Refuge, but it at least was a port-in and a hubfor those who hadn't done enough MQ or player power progression to get into Refuge so they could more easily go to the nearby zones for XP.

If it's just going to be left to obsolescence for the foreseeable future, it would be nice to know. It happens a lot in MMOs and is the natural of things. Of course, who's to know if there's no use for them in the future to do something cool like participating in the later pushes against Kaezul and his legions? I just like my mud frogs and also support the place being incrementally improved.

Bumping this thread because I'm re-doing murk faction for the third time, and it still sucks. A small amount of new murk content was added with the rogue rework. Not playing a rogue, I'm not sure it is any better for them, but the place still feels very sad... I know, by design. In the interests of helping the frogs and building a future for all anti-kaezulian forces on the continent, I want to ask again if we can get a few more ways to raise faction as well as a banker in here? Perhaps if not a permanent banker, a banker that can be triggered following the completion of a quest. Same goes for refuge IMO. Once they added a bank in LOIO, the justification for not including them in the other faction hubs seems pretty slim.

Back
Top Bottom