Is a paladin + shaman combo easy enough?

mastershake

Dalayan Beginner
I already have a level 40 paladin, but I want another one. Because reasons.

My logic is that the mediocre healing of the pally + the mediocre healing of the shaman would combine to make an acceptable level of healing for the pally who would be taking all the hits, and the shaman would buff the paladin for great justice to make the fights quicker & safer.

Are there some possible problems that this combo would have?

So what would go with the paladin to make good dps while still keeping me alive easily? I notice the wiki says paladin + druid is a common one, but i thought druids were even more about healing and defensive buffs than the shaman.

Last edited:
When you're leveling its all about that damage shield. When you are at the low end of the game (see: still grinding aa's) its still all about that damage shield. The best paladin I ever knew played a druid for most of the games content and got through it fine.

It comes down to what you want to do. If you want to be a big toppest tier end game raider someday you are probably best off with a cleric. Or atleast you were in every situation in the past. But even then a druid is probably fine for 99% of situations.

You are going to be "bad" dps for a long time regardless. Druid just has the best synergy with your class to alleviating that while being a healer.

You can always be crazy and roll paladin/enchanter or necro or something.

Last edited:
How to win at Shards:

1.) Go Tank / Cleric
2.) Level up, get some AAs and a not poverty charm
3.) Join a guild on your cleric, raid, get geared to tier whatever-they're-at
4.) Refuse to raid anymore unless you can box in your warrior for "rots" (hint: tank loot is usually rots)
5.) Hold guild hostage because you're a cleric and you get what you want.

Does it ever stop being about damage shield? Damage shields OP as hell.
Probably thats why "they" got 6 ticks HoTs and a HoT which stacks with other HoTs.
Can you even imagine a raid without tanks calling for "double HoT me now" ?

Balancing measures long overdue:

Druid: Shorten HoTs to 4 ticks,completly remove HoT stacking.
Shammy: They need group buffs *badly* at lower levels,shorten cast times,give them group heals.
Cleric: Mostly fine ,maybe a bit too tanky at high tiers,at lower levels they still need better dps,martyr line costs too much mana.

How to win at Shards:

1.) Go Tank / Cleric
2.) Level up, get some AAs and a not poverty charm
3.) Join a guild on your cleric, raid, get geared to tier whatever-they're-at
4.) Refuse to raid anymore unless you can box in your warrior for "rots" (hint: tank loot is usually rots)
5.) Hold guild hostage because you're a cleric and you get what you want.

Long road to go.

I played a shaman/paladin for a long time. DPS is a major problem for the pair. Until you get a mid tier + 2 hander for the paladin, and until the shaman has murk spell + relics + dot focus/AA.

My paladin was at poverty level gear forever, and agro was a little different then too. At fresh 65s, I ended up doing most of my DPS with the shaman while the paladin struggled to keep agro and heal/hot. Once the paladin got better gear/AA/Tomes things were much easier. That said, shaman healing is iffy. Cleric is so much better that it is kind of gross.

You are going to be much better off rolling paladin/cleric imo. Just some random quick thoughts from a guy who actually played this combo...

Balancing measures long overdue:

Druid: Shorten HoTs to 4 ticks,completly remove HoT stacking.
Shammy: They need group buffs *badly* at lower levels,shorten cast times,give them group heals.
Cleric: Mostly fine ,maybe a bit too tanky at high tiers,at lower levels they still need better dps,martyr line costs too much mana.

Are you high on angel dust? Druids are already notably inferior healers to Clerics (WTB quick heal that isn't worse than Cleric's 2nd best quick heal) and you want to hit Druids hard twice with the nerf hammer and then give Clerics a little more dps and mana efficiency? What game are you playing? We're playing the game where most raids agree they want 3 clerics and druids are like, you know, okay, I guess.

I do not know what a Druid did to hurt you, but they don't all deserve to be punished- that's classist.

OP,
Ludovocian nailed it. Nobody really cares about a new tank because this server has a decade worth of high tiered and tomed tanks being passed around like village bikes. Cleric will open doors. Enchanter also works, sometimes.

Are you high on angel dust? Druids are already notably inferior healers to Clerics (WTB quick heal that isn't worse than Cleric's 2nd best quick heal) and you want to hit Druids hard twice with the nerf hammer and then give Clerics a little more dps and mana efficiency? What game are you playing? We're playing the game where most raids agree they want 3 clerics and druids are like, you know, okay, I guess.

I do not know what a Druid did to hurt you, but they don't all deserve to be punished- that's classist.

OP,
Ludovocian nailed it. Nobody really cares about a new tank because this server has a decade worth of high tiered and tomed tanks being passed around like village bikes. Cleric will open doors. Enchanter also works, sometimes.

Uland has proven repeatedly he doesn't understand what's going on.

I was going to write this really long winded post explaining what was wrong with druids. But I got frustrated by it half way through so instead the TL;DR is that hots suck almost as much as ulands forum posts.

So what would go with the paladin to make good dps while still keeping me alive easily? I notice the wiki says paladin + druid is a common one, but i thought druids were even more about healing and defensive buffs than the shaman.

Any duo with a pally in it will have low DPS. Play what you want.

How to win at Shards:

1) Have some fun.
2) Play what you want.
3) Don't read posts from Ulandx.
4) Make fun of donfolstar3 for not knowing how to quote.

I appreciate the detailed responses, thanks people. Even if my paladin doesn't ever see use in high tier raids, I still want one just for the sake of experiencing one. But with a priest-type class to level up along with him. So I'll box him with a druid, and then in the distant future, maybe I'll box a cleric with some other class that's also more likely to see higher level play. Or try out a non-priest magic class. Or something.

You guys/gals rock, thanks. One last question: what specializations would you recommend I give the paladin while leveling it up? Or any tank class that is boxed with a priest, for that matter

Last edited:
You're going to max them all anyway. But do the durability ones (Defense, Dodge, spell resist) first because again, your autoattack damage is going to be nonexistent past like level 50. Blade/strike can sit in the dumpster until everything else is done. But all in all they don't make that much of a difference.

I appreciate the detailed responses, thanks people. Even if my paladin doesn't ever see use in high tier raids, I still want one just for the sake of experiencing one. But with a priest-type class to level up along with him. So I'll box him with a druid, and then in the distant future, maybe I'll box a cleric with some other class that's also more likely to see higher level play. Or try out a non-priest magic class. Or something.

You guys/gals rock, thanks. One last question: what specializations would you recommend I give the paladin while leveling it up? Or any tank class that is boxed with a priest, for that matter

Once your paladin is max level, if you see pugs forming, you should beg to bring him for rot 2 handers. A decent weapon will make a big difference in how fast you kill stuff when partnering... Just a suggestion.

Just remember high keep is your bitch when you're a paladin. Easiest casual aa grind. Theres probably better zones too now but I can't remember them at all. and yes be sure to scum into every raid you can because nobody actually plays tanks and all tank loot is yours.

Ignoring T10+ mentality, pally/shaman is actually a very nice duo, work on your gate necks quick, learn the MoP. Gear will be important to any tank, and get mana stuff for your shaman. There are no bad duos in SoD, just bad attitudes towards said duos.

Back
Top Bottom