Hellgate: London

Sareth

Dalayan Beginner
Official website
http://www.hellgatelondon.com/

This game comes out on Halloween. From what I've heard it is made by the core creators of the Diablo series so it's like a FPS / 3D version of it. There are 3 factions and 2 classes per, anyone else hyped up about this? I'm thinking of pre-ordering it.

I'm actually REALLY excited about it too - the Diablo series has, for me, at least as much playtime as the Heroes series. And it gave me tendonitis. Who can forget that?

I'm a bit worried about the game specs, whether it will run on my computer. I probably won't buy a copy when it very first comes out, but wait a month or two to see if the hype is all its worth.

The artwork is a lot like the diablo series which is such a good thing. Gotta say it looks nice

I've played the Beta at a friends house, and it's kinda odd. It is cool, but really different from the normal MMO.

Brimztone said:
I've played the Beta at a friends house, and it's kinda odd. It is cool, but really different from the normal MMO.

that's the thing; it isn't an MMO. it's supposed to have a lot of the same elements as diablo, which is not a surprise considering flagship studios are the original developers of diablo. it looks to be a very interesting game and i've been anticipating it for a while, however, i can't help but feel it may get repetitive. i tend to like games with vast and seamless worlds like an MMO and from what i know, hgl doesn't have that.

Now that this game has been out for a few, I thought I'd ask about it again - I hear lots of good things (and there was a lot of good hype) but the same could be said for Vanguard.

In the meantime I picked up a copy of Titan Quest. Wow. I'm really surprised they haven't been sued for plagiarism from Blizzard, its' basically Diablo 3 set in Ancient Greece. (AKA if you want a REAL D2 clone, this is it)! Every 5 seconds I come across some feature that is ripped directly from Diablo: skill trees, skill shrines, aug'ing armor, armor sets, portals to town, waypoints in multiple locations, the constant clicking of the mouse to click or move, hit "alt" to see all the items on the ground, Normal, Legendary, and Epic modes (hi2u normal nightmare and hell) etc. etc. etc. So yeah, gameplay = D2. But the graphics are better, so that's good.

Haven't seen a cow level yet though.

Allielyn said:
Now that this game has been out for a few, I thought I'd ask about it again - I hear lots of good things (and there was a lot of good hype) but the same could be said for Vanguard.

I haven't played it that much but me and my brother have been playing it together and I'm enjoying it right now so, its a pretty good game.

There are a few problems with it though such as crashing at random points and getting stuck in the geometry (/stuck works though), in group play the game isn't scaled very well and it is much harder then playing solo, but it still doable.

In all honesty though, when D2 1st came out I liked it more then I am liking this game, but D2 was a really solid game so it might be hard to beat that.

HOWEVER ALLIELYN since you are playing Titans quest I can say one thing, that game was alright but in my opinion Hellgate London is better.

Hellgate: London has lots of online MMO support. I hear I can also choose to only play it single person, or multiplayer LAN. If I chose to not play H:L online, would it still be better than TQ?

Allielyn said:
Hellgate: London has lots of online MMO support. I hear I can also choose to only play it single person, or multiplayer LAN. If I chose to not play H:L online, would it still be better than TQ?

Hard to say tbh, I have never played it single player. I mean you have to realize that H:L and TQ are both pretty similar games so I'm sure if you like one you will at least find the other one tolerable at least.

I am not really sure WHY you would choose to play H:L single player only though since it is free to play online, so I can't see that being an issue. Unless of course you aren't planning on buying the game in which case I don't see why you are being so cautious about playing it.

I will warn you though that in its current state this game has some pretty annoying bugs in it that need to be resolved, thankfully they seem to patch on a regular basis so hopefully it wont be that long. If it makes you feel any better I would crash like every 20 min when I played TQ or sometimes even sooner then that when it first came out so. 8P

At the end of the day I still believe that H:L is a better game then TQ. I will say though that although H:L is similar, it is not as much of a clone as TQ is to D2. So if thats the only thing you are looking for you might want to just stick with TQ.

Yeah, I was mostly looking for a single player/multiplayer (lan) game - I was surprised to hear H:L was a MMO. I'm not entirely sure I want to get into another MMO :/

Allielyn said:
Yeah, I was mostly looking for a single player/multiplayer (lan) game - I was surprised to hear H:L was a MMO. I'm not entirely sure I want to get into another MMO :/

Well I don't know if I would consider it to be much different from the way D2 was set up... I mean if you wanted to you could play the whole game by yourself without even talking to anyone else.

Like all the city type areas are place where everyone can sort of meet up and what not, then off of these there are basically zone portals that take you to instanced areas that only you (or your group) are allowed into. If you don't want to group with anyone it'll be just like playing single player except for the town areas will have a bunch of other people in them, but if you ignore them they really wont affect your game play much at all.

What are your char names Thizik? Also, are you talking about the TQ on PS2? I might give that a try too. Anyways HG:L is pretty decent so far, they are doing a good job patching often and fixing up things. Playing a Marksman at the moment.

Allielyn said:

In the meantime I picked up a copy of Titan Quest. Wow. I'm really surprised they haven't been sued for plagiarism from Blizzard, its' basically Diablo 3 set in Ancient Greece. (AKA if you want a REAL D2 clone, this is it)! Every 5 seconds I come across some feature that is ripped directly from Diablo: skill trees, skill shrines, aug'ing armor, armor sets, portals to town, waypoints in multiple locations, the constant clicking of the mouse to click or move, hit "alt" to see all the items on the ground, Normal, Legendary, and Epic modes (hi2u normal nightmare and hell) etc. etc. etc. So yeah, gameplay = D2. But the graphics are better, so that's good.

Haven't seen a cow level yet though.

TQ is like a mixture of DS and D2. The difficulties are much different. You can't just cruise thru like D2. There is a "cow" area but you have to kill a couple hardcore mobs that aren't worth the trouble (cause thy one shot you with not best gear) in legendary difficulty.Get there with an uber rare drop from the final boss. you don't get 50000 mobs at once. Bosses actually have strats. There is no .. let me hit you in the face till your dead.

Such as, a guy guarding a bridge (not spoiling it for those that have the game and are not there yet) he starts out just lobbing water bombs at you with some ae wave attack (covering the whole bridge) and these water columns that own you in the face.. but no melee. you defeat that then you get his true form, he melees, but doubles the amount of water bombs, does the wave , and water columns plus an uber stomp attack. Another boss summons adds that if you don't kill very fast the CH him no matter how far he is down. Another spams AEs that hurt bad, and has some meteor attack that will kill you if hit no matter what.

There are also certain boss mobs that only appear in Epic or legendary difficulty.

ive heard alot of things on d2jsp. which s mainly a d2 trading site with a different currency than high runes. but in there forums everyone seems to be stoked and all the beta players are very very convinced it is the sucession of d2 but with just a different name. so everyones convinced d3 will never come out and instead HGL is replacing it. ive heard alot of good things about hgl but im not sure ill play it. i lik d2 and all when i get bored i love getting on my java and pking. but ya when you got SoD how can u even get the urge to play any other game SOD>anything else ^^

Lifetime sub for HG:L here and personally I love the game because it's different. You have differing play styles within the game itself such as FPS when playing a marksman or 3rd person when playing a Blade Master. And the game has come quite a ways from where it started at, vast improvements have been made to all aspects of the game. At this time I would highly recommend this game as an alternative for those that are bored with the standard fare that's currently being offered out there.

As far as Titan Quest is concerned it also is a great game and has tons of depth. IMO this is D3 due to the very similar play styles and the progression in game. Of course the graphics are way beyond the sprites in D2.

Of course for MMORPGs SoD rules when compared to retail offerings. The only one thats close is Vanguard, and there they have made vast improvements since beta and the launch. In a perfect world game designers would see whats been accomplished here and would make necessary changes within their games as far as playability and scalability, but then all games would be from the same cookie cutter mentality, boring. And the only improvement that SoD could make that I see is in the graphics area, but that would be a vast undertaking. To go from where it is now to something along the lines of the Unreal 3 engine or something similar would be like making the game from scratch in most respects, which for a free project is not really worth it.

The most exciting thing about SoD as related to the emu projects is the success they have had when compared to others that have tried. My only hope now is that someone can actually get an SWG emu up and running thats pre-cu and pre-nge, then I would have my 4 different play styles that I like available. Hope this information was useful.

Back
Top Bottom