HARD MODE SoD

burt6

Dalayan Elder
Ok so here it is, I know there are a lot of dungeons that are really great but don't get used a lot anymore because the mobs are too weak/few and don't drop enough cash loot etc. These are great dungeons that everyone used to love or still does but the rewards are just not where it's at.

My proposal is for a toggle you can put on your character (or maybe group) that significantly increases the amount of damage you take and decreases the amount of damage/healing you do and in turn significantly increases the amount of xp you recieve from a mob (or possibly plat/loot drops although i know this would be harder to implement)

This would maybe put a debuff on you that last for 15 minutes and refreshes anytime you go into combat so that groups could not toggle it on and off for bosses without having to pay a big time sink penalty.

I am leaving the numbers up in the air for discussion but it would be kind of cool to walk into elds castle or highkeep again with a bunch of teir 10+ characters and have a legit fight on their hands instead of just rolling over the whole zone in two pulls.

Obviously the bonus would have to be significant enough to make playing with the de-buff on a better reward than just pulling the whole zone in two pulls with relative safety. Maybe make it a sliding scale I dunno. What do you guys think?

I think that mobs dropping better loot if the difficulty is higher would be cool but it would be tough to code/itemize. But maybe it could be automated with the bind on equip code, if the groups difficulty setting is 50% higher then the boe bonus on the items would be 50% bigger etc. You could play with these numbers.

Another thing to think about that is probably more controversial would be allowing the slider to go down so difficulty decreased, this would also have to scale with the quality of the drop but this would allow lower level people access to see fights they never have before, or maybe learn them while it was at a lower difficulty.

I think this would go a long way towards making content available to everyone instead of just a few people in a given tier.

Last edited:
With a 6 man group or a larger raid, what happens when 3 group members "/cm HardMode on" and 3 group members don't?

well that is why I said it would have to affect the whole group and would likely be something agreed upon by the group ahead of time not unlike which dungeon to go to etc. maybe it would be a command only available to group leaders. I was thinking of this exclusively for 1 group content, but maybe there could be a discussion of what would happen when applied to a raid or larger setting.

What I am hoping for though at least for starters is a pretty simple toggle that wouldn't involved a tremendous amount of balancing loot or rewards. Maybe just start with a take 50% more dmg and do 50% less healing/dmg for a 100% xp bonus.

would there be a way to include maybe a secondary zone in tht pops harder mobs in place of whats currently up?

would there be a way to include maybe a secondary zone in tht pops harder mobs in place of whats currently up?

unless instancing occurs i see no other way.

can't just have hard mode enabled for one group and screw anyone else who wants to be in the same zone on regular mode.

i could see it being done with an npc at the zone in that you hail and it can repop the entire wing with harder mobs. say there's a npc at the entrance to the crypt wing in mielc. you hail it and tell it you want a challenge, and it populates the entire wing with super hard mobs. after 2 hours pass, it all depops and the spawner guy respawns.

i could see it being done with an npc at the zone in that you hail and it can repop the entire wing with harder mobs. say there's a npc at the entrance to the crypt wing in mielc. you hail it and tell it you want a challenge, and it populates the entire wing with super hard mobs. after 2 hours pass, it all depops and the spawner guy respawns.

The way to trigger the harder mobs could be an event like "task" in itself. Much like killing the forest lights in Remn to make the zone KoS.

yes, that is the simplified idea. my initial dev plan was to have it be a boss drop, ie. blazewind drops a token that you hand to the npc in mielc that spawns tier appropriate challenges and you are rewarded with an aug that improves for each tier you beat

So, you want another zone to be like Nadox?

Nadox is kind of cool, but getting the same exp you can get at about t9+ for 0 cash is really lame. Not to mention all the time you put into your toon being near useless sucks pretty bad

I think something like this would actually make an awesome GM event.

Take a handfull of the least-used zones in the game (statistically speaking) and for like a week or so give all the mobs in those zones some buffage to drastically increase difficulty (Versikol buff them or something idk) and have a contest or reward for clearing each zone.

Prizes could be awarded as unique boss drops or by staff for specific achievements such as fastest clear, most clears by a single group, most hillariously stupid wipe, etc. Spreading it over several zones would afford more folks the opportunity to play along and making it a reccuring event if it's popular would give some spice to the older/less used zones without completely shafting the few people who frequent them.

some buffage to drastically increase difficulty (Versikol buff them or something idk) and have a contest or reward for clearing each zone.

This would actually be super fun. Get a buff like Versikol and go play in the hardened zone. I think Zaela kind of had an idea like this for a "new" zone but reusing zones that are less used with this mechanic would be neat. It could rotate like "Blessed Zones" do, call it "God Mode Zones".

Edit: Using a buff like Versikol would possibly even the playing field from "new" 65s or sub-65 characters and seasoned 65 characters. Everyone likes larger numbers!

Edit Edit: I originally read Dimmi's post as saying buff the players AND the mobs but he is just saying to buff the mobs in the zones. However, I think buffing both groups (but in possibly different ways) would be totally cool in its own right.

Last edited:
I think something like this would actually make an awesome GM event.

Take a handfull of the least-used zones in the game (statistically speaking) and for like a week or so give all the mobs in those zones some buffage to drastically increase difficulty (Versikol buff them or something idk) and have a contest or reward for clearing each zone.

Prizes could be awarded as unique boss drops or by staff for specific achievements such as fastest clear, most clears by a single group, most hillariously stupid wipe, etc. Spreading it over several zones would afford more folks the opportunity to play along and making it a reccuring event if it's popular would give some spice to the older/less used zones without completely shafting the few people who frequent them.

This would be much more realistic in a logistical/balancing sense as compared to an activatable hardmode.

This would actually be super fun. Get a buff like Versikol and go play in the hardened zone. I think Zaela kind of had an idea like this for a "new" zone but reusing zones that are less used with this mechanic would be neat. It could rotate like "Blessed Zones" do, call it "God Mode Zones".

other then i dont like the name "god mode zones" i love this idea... Maybe tainted or corrupt zones.

Back
Top Bottom