Graphical Lag into Latency

Dev-Cole

Administrator
Staff member
A player was experiencing high latency in Yclist; copying my own graphical settings then reconnecting to the server seems to have addressed their latency. (This is with all the Piranha spawned in Yclist)

I suspect when the client begins to lag graphically it negatively affects client latency. Perhaps this is why it affects some and not others. Below are my settings. If someone is ambitious and wants to A/B all the different settings, perhaps it can be narrowed down to a particular adjustment. I am also in windowed mode. I suspect it is more pronounced when in fullscreen.

1604419096556.png

Will follow up after feedback from a raid scenario. This also may address multiple trouble spots (Silent Halls, Blaze Wind, etc)

Using the same settings, with a GTX1060, logs are off, and I can't do anything until I'm at the last part of the map (PE door)

If I cast a spell it goes on global cooldown for a solid 30secs - 1minute.

Ping is constant at 150-190ms (the usual, other zones I have no issues) and PL is at 0%

Just to add; This kind of lag happens to me (and a few others) also on Blazewind last 10%, HMALB and Thaz Guardian fight (for upper key) for an example.

So, I've been dealing with bad lag and on sunday I finally actually got to see the fights in SH, where mobs and players aren't just wildly flicked across the screen. Idk if something was done in the recent patch, but I went in options and unchecked
Allow hw Vertex shaders
Allow 1.1 Pixel shaders
Allow 1.4 Pixel shaders
Allow 2.0 Pixel shaders
Radial Flora
and all the others were already unchecked like Cole's except disable tatoos. Tbh i have no idea what I'm doing.

I also adjusted the fans in particles to be "Near" or "Off" and set the opacity to 20% in each of them.

I had only very little lag spikes, apart from when kiting a robot, everything turned to shit for that.

I have not yet had time to test yclist but I will

On a side not, I've just started testing forcing graphics from my geforce and fell over a p99 post that seems to work pretty well. I went in nVidia control panel under 3d options, found everquest and set the following:

• Set "Anisotropic filtering" to 16x
  • Enable "Antialiasing - FXAA"
  • Disable "Antialiasing - Gamma correction" (this will mess up your text if enabled)
  • Set "Antialiasing - Mode" to "Override any application setting"
  • Set "Antialiasing - Setting" to 4x
  • Set "Antialiasing - Transparency" to 8x (supersample)
  • Set "Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization" to "On" (recommended to improve loading times)
  • Set "Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias" to Clamp
  • Set "Texture filtering - Quality" to High quality
  • Disable "Threaded optimization"
This seems to give a lot of smoothness and I'll be looking forward to seeing how it works in a raid setting.

Hope this may be of help to some

/Dinansigt

Edit: Link to p99 post: https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262691

Back
Top Bottom