Game Wide SoD Voice Server

Yeah, sorry man but nearly every guild at the high end raid game pretty much requires you to be in voice comm, there can be exceptions made but for the most part dont expect a high end guild to invite you if you cant join. Especially if you play an important class, a dps class might be overlookable but a healer or tank/chanter without vent = No.

The reason its so required is the way the encounters are designed, here to many encounters have specific things you have to do and you do not have time to type the directions out during battle.

That being said, I think you could easily find the donators from all the people already paying out of pocket for guild voice comm if it works well enough.

Last edited:
My concern would be monitoring the voicechat. Logs of things typed by players are used by the GM's to figure out what happened when people act less than amiable with each other. If all the proof of wrongdoing goes from being in text to on server hosted voice chat I imagine there will be a few more headaches from things like pickup raids than usual.

As to high end guilds requiring voice chat: Aeternus does not require it for raids. We have people that use it for regular chatting, but it isn't what we use to tell people what to do in a raid. We use text for that. We currently raid tier 6 with some tier 7 targets and knowing what we need to do before we start the fight means we just make hotkeys for expected changes in the fight. Perhaps there is more randomness in tier 8 encounters, but if a fight has a script then you can be intelligent and know what to do before the fight starts.

I keep dial up service just for one game i play.. However when my connection is down and I need to be on a raid I can still get on via dial up. My chat works fine with dial up, as long as you dont speak and just have speakers to listen is all you need.

I never tried raiding on WoW with dial up as i never could get into the game that far to even attempt to raid. Coming from eq i thought WoW was extrememly easy and to honest no comparasion to ********* but thats just my thoughts.

Now for the OP i love the idea having different channels for different things would be great... if it could be set up... Like one for tradeskills, auctions, beginners, general and such.

I am sure wald is not thinking about have just one chat where 300+ are on at the same time and talking. Even though most will be on there on own server either raiding/grouping. I still like the idea and support it for whats that worth.

I just hope there could be a way say a group formed and in all different guilds that there could be a seperate channel we can all use just for groups. Will help out the groups alot and even those without a mic can still hear the pulling saying 2 maybe 3 coming and such and oh bloody hell a roamer is coming too..

I dont know much about the software you suggested or are going to use but I am sure you did your homework. I just dont want hear flame wars and Yo' mommas tossed out left and right.

And as far as donators as most people I have came in contact with are very mature as I dont know their exact but sure dont act like kids. Donating $5 a month is roughly nothing but to some its alot as times are hard times right now as we all know. However, the extra $5 one can kick in for such usefullness and has it i am sure it will go along way. Not everyone is out of work or got their hours cut back in the US due to Bush and his tirade.

I am sure if all works out the way you want you will see more donations coming and thats including me as well.

Last edited:
For clarification, and if you want to pop in, there are currently around 60 pre made channels plus a section where you can create your own channel for 24 hours (The "user created" section)

is this incredibly easy? or is it amazingly minimal, serverside? i just don't see this as being a huge increase to the gaming experience, but thats coming from someone whos logged onto vent while gaming 24/7

Thanks and I sure do like what I hear. This will sure help out alot of the groups who are in different guilds and such. Vent is easy to use and all but this will be that much easier for players that are in guilds or in the beginning guild who dont use vent.

I personally cant see raiding without vent now adays and such. Much easier then typing everything out and making sure everyone is looking at the chat window.

60 premade channels sure does sound great and maybe guilds could grab a channel and ditch vent all together. Set a password for that guild so only guild members can log in there.... Will be much easier then switching to vent and back if you in a few different conversations.

i would definatly love a voice erever as opposed to that crappy typing :/

Typing FTW! I always prefer typing over voice chat. Only ever actually cared about voice chat at times when you really need split second orders, such as raids or other areas where instant orders are required. Other then that, screw voice, I don't even care much for the phone, just a quick 20 second call to relay info and hang it up lol.

I prolly won't use it myself, so far I prefer vent as a medium, mumble setup even seemed pretty unnecessarily complicated, in addition to the audio setup producing noises that made me want to kill, and a shitload of feedback I keep getting, n2surewhy, n2interested in fixing it.

Actually the set up is what makes mumble so amazing it gets rid of background noise, I hate people with so much noise and static in the background in vent it makes me go nuts.

Please take that mumble download off the patcher - it completely locks up the new patcher so I can't use it to log into SoD.

Please take that mumble download off the patcher - it completely locks up the new patcher so I can't use it to log into SoD.

If you're having problems, maybe you should post in the patcher problems thread in support... :monocle:

It's a 9MB file. Depending on your connection, this might take a bit. How long did you wait to let it finish?

I waited 10 minutes and said screw it, used the old patcher instead. I did get the full mumble download, the patcher just wouldn't move past that.

I would like to suggest that this file not be a mandatory download or the patcher prompts you with a request to dl it, although I am not really bothered by it having a program automatically download a exe onto my desktop is :psyduck:

Especially if this is not required.

Just home from work, but really hope this isn't a mandatory download. I may or may not use it (I use my ancient laptop for Vent now, and Mumble "expects something different" than Win98, and won't load there. I don't want to have to install anything.

The file downloads into your eq directory but there is 0 need to actually install it until you click the "install mumble" key. Just ignore it if you dont want to use it.

Neat. I play on 3 or so comps, depending on my mood/what room I'm in. So I try not to clutter the other two if I'm just popping on for a minute or 15 to check mail, etc.

Back
Top Bottom