Game Wide SoD Voice Server

The patcher is set to the correct directory, but it still put mumble on my desktop. I wasn't having any problems with it before mumble was added.

Edit - The issue I'm having with it is that it gets stuck on the mumble download even though it's already downloaded.

It puts mumble.exe into the same directory as the sodpatcher.exe. If you put that on your desktop, it will put mumble.exe, the log file and the config file there, and put the eqw directory under that. I recommend putting the patcher somewhere else and making a shortcut to your desktop.

If it's trying to download the mumble.exe again, it means it did not successfully download it before (might have been a partial download). It decides what to actually download based on the checksum of the file. So if it matches what the server has, it will not try to download it again. You need to let it complete downloading.

I currently have a shortcut to EQplaynice loaded in the startup folder, but gotta admit would love to have it triggered by the patcher instead. Anything that helps reduce the amount of crap that load at start up would be a boon!

On a side note, would it be possible to kill its process (EQplaynice) when client quits too? I'm thinking no, as after the patcher is ran and client loads patcher process drops so there'd be no kill switch to fire after client closes. But thought I'd throw it out there..

Last edited:
not a fan of it but then again not a fan of vent. Giving me a mic to talk to other SoDites makes me wanna scream them down!

Thanks Gunder, I'll just leave it running when I go to bed tonight and hope it runs its course.

I almost never use voice chats or a number of various reasons. Thus I don't plan on using mumble.

I am ok with part of my donation going to a voice chat if it's for the majority of the server's good.

However, I hope that the staff will be honest about it and will not keep it running if it only benefits a minority.

Ok, how do you connect to this mumble server? Address? Name of the server atleast? Throw me a bone here please.

EDIT: I apologize. I wasn't aware that it was initiated through the patcher client.

Last edited:
also, if you want to start it up separately from the patcher, you can do so using callisto.shardsofdalaya.com as the server, leave the port as default. use whatever label and account you want. account will be your characters name or whatever you want to be known by. there's no password necessary.

Just a short question: How much is this going to cost/month for the additional bandwidth? Because Im renting a Vent server myself, and its pretty damn cheap. Im paying 9 Bucks for a 25 User License per Month, and Ive been hosting a server with Ventrilo and Teamspeak prior to that on my own, It just was not worth the hassle. After talking to a few people about this on SoD, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would rather see his donation go to a hosted Vent Server. Personally Im not going to switch from my Vent server to Mumble because Im not a big fan of the proggie. I also hate Teamspeak so you could say im biased (which i am, for obvious reasons). The only downside to Vent is the miserable Mac Support, but lets be serious: Screw those guys.

Also, I have had some contacts with Flagship before, and they are indeed giving out 10+ Server Licenses to Companies, but not private people. In the end, renting a hosted server will still be the cheaper solution.

a 100 User hosted Vent Server is only 25 Bucks per month. We are talking 2 1/2 active Donators here...

Mumble private server

I'm really loving mumble in general, and I think it was great that SoD supports open source software, like mumble.

However, I've set up a private mumble server (murmur) that I want to connect to instead. Can you please modify the patcher to read the hostname and port, along with username and password from the patcher's config file, so we can customize our mumble settings, if we so choose?
Or, perhaps, it can read Mumble's config file and offer a drop down list of custom servers/settings to connect to (callisto.shardsofdalaya.com being added, and selected as the default, of course).

That would really be awesome, because starting Mumble manually (which I do to connect to a custom server) makes the push-to-talk hotkey not work (it works when started from the patcher) and is really inconvenient.

In the meantime, can you tell me how it finds the Mumble executable, so I can replace it with a startup script that loads my private server?

Thanks!

As for modifying the patcher, there are a couple other things we really want to do that are higher priority than this, so don't expect it anytime soon, if at all. (It was added to the patcher to make it very easy to get up and running... the patcher isn't designed around starting external/custom apps and settings, as this could grow into a whole application of it's own.)

That would really be awesome, because starting Mumble manually (which I do to connect to a custom server) makes the push-to-talk hotkey not work (it works when started from the patcher) and is really inconvenient.

There's got to be something around the way you're starting it. You should be able to fix this by working with the settings.

In the meantime, can you tell me how it finds the Mumble executable, so I can replace it with a startup script that loads my private server?

It gets it directly from the registry, and uses where mumble is installed. If you replace the location the OS expects to find the executable, don't be surprised if things break. ;)

Back
Top Bottom