Food/drink containers

Paxit

Dalayan Elder
Can a bag/container be added to the game that when food/drink placed in it does not get eaten? Many times when I have stat food say via gruplok questing or bounty food/drink if I forget to bury behind normal food it gets consumed and I normally summon my foods when I do not have stat food with clickies.

Stat food, or just food/drink in general, is just such a pain to deal with in game. The system is dated. I wish they would just remove the need to eat and drink from the game, if it is even possible.

It's one of the glaring aspects of the game, Kedrin. I wound't be upset if they got rid of it, but at the same time I think it would be a bummer if they did. As for container, NOT a bag, but more like a key ring or whatever. That would be cool. Something that didn't have to go in any of your inventory slots. It would have to be an added feature.

I like the dated and annoying (maybe immersive?) system of having to eat. What I do not care for is having to dick around with stat food instead of a more direct system. Buffs are way to overstuffed already to do a WoW style food buff (overhaul time) which is an ok system. If I had my druthers we have special inventory slots where you could put food/drink including "containers" like a magical chalice, breadbox (of doom), or even utensils (chop sticks... of doom) that would turn anything inside of it into stat food.
Bligitty blam best of both worlds. It is a shame containers do not have stats on them... you'd think carrying 8 gigantic backpacks would really cut into your agility but be great for AC.

Trying to do stuff with food and drink kind of sucks. Even taking it out entirely isn't really an option: the client assumes you need to eat. It's possible to make food last forever on the server side, but the client still insistently sends out "hey, I'm eating now" packets. If you don't have a food item in your inventory, it will spam you with YOU NEED FOOD messages no matter what.

It doesn't give us very much control. Even an "any food in here gets certain stats" container would be dependent on you to make sure that the food in that bag is in a higher slot than any other food in your inventory.

Trying to do stuff with food and drink kind of sucks. Even taking it out entirely isn't really an option: the client assumes you need to eat. It's possible to make food last forever on the server side, but the client still insistently sends out "hey, I'm eating now" packets. If you don't have a food item in your inventory, it will spam you with YOU NEED FOOD messages no matter what.

It doesn't give us very much control. Even an "any food in here gets certain stats" container would be dependent on you to make sure that the food in that bag is in a higher slot than any other food in your inventory.

In a typical raid night, I end up going through anywhere between 7-10 Rations and 10-13 Water Flasks. Can duration of foodstuffs not simply be upped across the board? As in bumping "This is a drink" duration up to match "This is an enduring drink," which would in turn be bumped up to "This is a refreshing drink" or whatever. I'm not sure if I got the lines right there, but you probably know what I mean.

On the other hand, at least food and drink are only a minor inconvenience in their current form. I've been watching a let's play of Eye of the Beholder recently, and it has reminded me how much worse off we could actually be. Imagine if we had to eat our food/drink manually during play. Pointless micromanagement!

Thinking of old school AD&D RPGs reminded me of a loading screen blurb from Baldur's Gate II that is rather fitting in this thread:
Remember that, while your character doesn't need to eat, you do. We don't want to lose any dedicated players
Sometimes it really served its purpose and reminded me to lay off the hours of dungeon crawling to go grab a snack! ;)

The issue that comes to mind with food duration is that one of the downsides to certain races (ie fatties) is that they consume food quicker, messing with duration might change that up a bit.

Perhaps this is a niche that tradeskilled food could help fill.

Baking in its current state is basically useless. Mage summoned food is better for stats and (much) easier to get. Brewing only seems useful when applied to other tradeskills. Maybe some super-long-lasting food/drink with interesting effects could be added that are player made.

Is this even an option? [edit: If not you can stop reading this post now].If so it would be waaay less micromanaging to put that container in slot1 and just making sure there is something in it. Done. I suppose the more anal among us might still juggle a bunch of different foods but for most people it would be a hit it and (mostly) forget it solution. Sure we'd still have to buy food but it sounds like that is unavoidable. At the very least there'd be no losing stats for not keeping track of vague timers.

I like the idea of tradeskills (and bounties?) filling this role as Enasc suggested. Make some amazing cookies, combine with pottery jar, and blam magic stat cookie car that people will eat fish out of.

Is this even an option?

I could see it. Could force stats onto food the same way they are inflated on pristine and expable stuff. Might need to zone with the food in the container before it'll show up, though (reliably, at least -- sending out new packets for stackable, consumable items you just moved would just be asking for stuff to poof).

I don't work on content-related stuff any more though. Or much else. More of a consultant. Up to somebody else!

Back
Top Bottom