EQ:Next

I am worried that the easy to use open crowdsource deving will be more appealing than drudging through patchwork code on a limited emulation of a 14 year old game to the point where what sane person will still work on SoD?

i was pretty blown away by the presentation, the idea of mixing minecraft into EQ is brilliant and the tool already looks really powerful and it can only get better.

also the server events are an awesome idea i'm surprised have never really been used. it's somewhat reminiscent of the AQ opening in WoW. basically adding content dynamically ingame piece by piece sequentially rather than just releasing patches that magically make things appear. if they want to add a new zone or quest area, they can have a weeks-long server event where pcs work with npcs to clear an area, build the structures, and perhaps fend off attacks etc. old areas can potentially be destroyed by huge raid mobs that attack the area. every server could potentially end up significantly different. the minecrafty design also allows for destructible environments in a way that could actually work instead of being so limited by area and with clunky respawns like in other games that have tried it.

some really progressive ideas that are presented in such a tempered, calculated way that it seems totally realistic to achieve and almost like an obvious evolution of the genre. i do trust SoE more than anyone else to be able to pull it off. the gameplay/combat itself looked a little too WoWish for my tastes, but it's really early.

the groundwork for the game looks really impressive, and they are releasing the "minecraft" subgame devkit to the public later this year supposedly. definitely piqued my interest.

Other games (Rift, GW2 to name a few) have used the whole "dynamic content" thing in their previews and promotions and they of course ended up being not all that dynamic when all was said and done. EQN might have finally come up with something that genuinely feels dynamic but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm looking forward to it though.

Are they going to have Massive MMO servers or is this something you host for your friends. With the destructive world it seems like it would be hard to maintain. Spawn areas would be littered with Craters ect. Would engineers keep building things back to pristine?

Are they going to have Massive MMO servers or is this something you host for your friends. With the destructive world it seems like it would be hard to maintain. Spawn areas would be littered with Craters ect. Would engineers keep building things back to pristine?

Lore: Buildar*, God of Building Things, constantly works to repair the damage mortals do to the world.

Events: Buildar, God of Building Things, is overcome with grief at the loss of Buildar's Hammer, most prized of godly hammers. Buildar will not repair the world until it is retrieved. Adventurer's must embark on a heroic quest of heroic magnitude through heroic dungeons battling heroic monsters to heroically retrieve her** hammer from Stealo, God of Stealing. Until Buildar's Hammer is returned nothing will be repaired and Norrath will look worse and worse.

*naming things is not my forte- just ask my cat Kitty, dog Dog, or paladin Gimpy
**admit it, you were thinking "his" you sexist

They already clarified that things like cities wouldn't be destructable by players(but mobs might still be able to).

Otherwise, they said cities would be parking lots.

Last edited:
what sane person will still work on SoD?

Do any now? But anyway, map editing sounds like the inverse of what we've ever done or tried to do.

No way I'm gonna watch an hour long video of empty hype, but I read a couple articles (of empty hype). Very skeptical of dynamic this and permanent-but-non-deterministic that, mainly from the perspective of people doing work.

The idea that different servers may end up being significantly different seems particularly at odds with the concept of constant on-going world events. Any permanent, but not certain, change represents a limiting of options for future events. "Let's send players to city A for this next step." "Can't do that, it was destroyed on servers X and Y, and never came to be on Z." Anything that would require server-specific workarounds or branching paths -- i.e., exponentially more work as things go along -- would not happen. At the same time, just ignoring anything old whenever an event happens would be pretty lame and make the world pretty small, with only one or two areas being important at any one time (kind of like with the old games they apparently said they want to avoid making again, natch). So, I would expect potential change to be explicitly limited to only those things that are considered to be insignificant at any given time. World events and their outcomes would presumably be deterministic for the same sorts of reasons -- any branching of paths that isn't simply irrelevant implies increased workloads in the future. Maybe one or two non-deterministic events really early on to be extra special, but that's it.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks the idea of falling in holes all the time because someone cast a spell is silly, but I don't really get the hype of destructable stuff. From the sounds of it any destruction players can do will not last, anyway. That underworld you opened up a hole to will be different every time (if they have a random underworld generator, they're gonna use it), and any battle scars in the earth will heal (they're not gonna let the whole world be an endless, cratered, uneven wasteland the moment you step out of a destruction-exempt area, obviously).

Non-strict classes sounds neat at least, though I prefer would prefer completely fluid roles with complete freedom, dunno why every fantasy mmo needs classes (other than forced replay/alt value and more consistent visual cues/iconography).

Might be good though, who knows. I haven't played games in forever, not sure what the point is anymore. Though I expect the conceptual purity they are harping on (emergent ai! dynamic world!) to give way to marketing concerns (does it keep players hooked, are there enough repetitive tasks, consistently reachable short-term goals, instant gratification elements, etc) before beta hits.

I've bought into a few newer games and was deeply disappointed. I will save my 60+ dollars this time around and just stick with SoD.

GW2, D3, SW:ToR, etc... All miserable disappointments. SoD has it's faults, but hasn't failed to capture and keep my attention (despite feeling like it's a constant uphill battle for everything related to SoD, in game and out).

I've bought into a few newer games and was deeply disappointed. I will save my 60+ dollars this time around and just stick with SoD.

GW2, D3, SW:ToR, etc... All miserable disappointments. SoD has it's faults, but hasn't failed to capture and keep my attention (despite feeling like it's a constant uphill battle for everything related to SoD, in game and out).

afaik it's going to be F2P like every other SOE game.

EQ Live is F2P. but doesnt mean you dont need to pay in order to advance. EQLive you have an AA cap unless you pay a monthly fee.

eq2 you have access to your favorite classes and races until a month passes and they take it away unless you pay

I heard tanks, in everquest next?, can:

hFDDECE43

EQ Live is F2P. but doesnt mean you dont need to pay in order to advance. EQLive you have an AA cap unless you pay a monthly fee.

Play on test server, there is no restrictions for anything and you get all the expansions free.
Server population is like sod though, 160 to 250 ish.

Yep - test economy is whacked out due to millions of plat being copied over daily, but it does let you play gold without a sub fee. I prefer this server.

Back
Top Bottom