Community Toons and Jail Time

PS: everyone complains about the population being shit but nobody wants to do anything about it. invite some scrub into your group and let him soak up some fucking good exp. he will forever love you..... unless you're @Ludovician in which case he hates you forever.

It's true. I remember like it was yesterday. I was sitting in Athica, hopelessly LFG and started typing /w all bloodquarry, /w all firstruins, /w all kaesora, etc. I found Nebi in first ruins with a group of 5. Shyly I sent a tell asking if I could come join him and his pals. He said "get here without killing us and sure".

So I ran to first ruins, got down to them, and became their scrubby low dps tier 0 rogue punching bag. I got kicked from the group multiple times for saying the wrong things and got beat up about my gear and garbage dps.

It was that group that sprung me into my glorious shards career. I owe everything to Nebi. If he sent me a message asking for my accounts I'd hand them over in a heartbeat, but he wont because I'm still scrubby and he has like two of every class anyhow.

#AdoptAScrub

The end.

real talk lowbies I will take you to cmal for aas/explevels and pants.

Unfortunately I don't even know what level you can begin looting things any more due to dumb anti-fun loot code.

Also while he clearly broke the rules I feel like you could choose to be sympathetic to his plight, and that banning some random dude for fourteen days may be more harmful than good when the server population is the issue. But jailing public characters is terrible too and unnecessary.

I agree. Jailing the bot is kind of a pain for everyone. Why, I remember this one time when I got banned and they decided to IP ban me but I'd been on satellite, and since I was the best DPS ever (and because I'd been using satellite while in Fallujah), over half the server got banned.

I'd appeal my own ban, because I wasn't cheating: I was vociferously opposing people who were cheating by raiding with a...eh, dead horse. Anyways. I don't cheat. And if you're skilled, you don't need bots, just a boxed shaman or druid or cleric or enchanter, or maybe just ask Adron to come along and Life Fire every once in a while.

A lot of people on here will do stupid things and get away with it. It causes the people who try to keep it within the rules to massively suffer. Like me, Eustace. And like Otcho.

Free Eustace for 2.5!

it is actually your fault and everyone elses fault therefore everyone should be punished. Its everyone's elite attitude that caused this poor dude to play by himself and he took it into his hands to try to advance to the "fun" part of the game.

When I initially made goonsquad 14.0 everyone and anyone who was within the parameters of not being a dirty ass twink was allowed to join. We ended up picking up initially some newbies and they went ahead and played a bit. I'm not saying that I'm some white knight but sometimes you just got to go out of your way and help them noobs out.

So enjoy your community toons jail time as its deserved.

PS: everyone complains about the population being shit but nobody wants to do anything about it. invite some scrub into your group and let him soak up some fucking good exp. he will forever love you..... unless you're @Ludovician in which case he hates you forever.

I agree with Nebi.

Also, Nebi is awesomesauce for quoting Meyers quoting me in his sig.

Its everyone's elite attitude that caused this poor dude to play by himself and he took it into his hands to try to advance to the "fun" part of the game.

Can't tell if you're trolling or serious but... his inability to /ooc anyone able to help me kill an adept? is what led him to multibox. Most of the people complaining about community toons being jailed are the ones who load a community bot to help out someone on an adept who asks. I'm pretty sure any of those people you're describing as having "elite attitudes" dgaf about community toons -- so basically you're telling the people who actually are being helpful to newbs to piss off.

but sometimes you just got to go out of your way and help them noobs out.
Many people do. In point of fact, the community toons are a tool to do exactly that.

Jailing characters owned by people, or the community who weren't responsible for the violation is shortsighted, and extremely counterproductive. Most of us realize this, and I'm looking at Woldaff too, because I remember it happening to him when someone else was running Nepthes (was it Gelu? I think it was Gelu). So it's definitely happened to staff before.

Hell it's happened to me a few times, when I wasn't even awake, or anywhere near a computer.

IP bans aren't foolproof true, but I'd imagine in most cases the person isn't bright enough in the first place to figure out how to change their IP (nor to spoof it), and I'd be even more surprised to see that person retain flawless OpSec. If they did, I'd certainly applaud the effort in a community where secrets spread like fire in a factory that makes wicker baskets and gasoline holding a 4th of july celebration indoors. Most of those situations are going to be solved when someone starts bragging about the shit that they did to their friends. Offer a reward, sit back, and eat popcorn. Though more often than not I'd imagine they don't bother to change their usual IP before logging into either another character that can be associated with them, or their previous characters.

I'm glad to see Taryth taking an interest. There definitely needs to be some kind of policy, preferably a non-draconian policy. For the life of me I've never been able to figure out why someone that ostensibly wants people to play, would want to piss off a legitimate player that had very little, if anything to do with a situation that happened. Is it going to be possible to figure it out in all cases? No, but there are scalpels, and sledgehammers. They are generally not suited to resolving the same problems.

That being said, if an acceptable policy is ever made, if someone drops me a line I'd be more than happy to offer up my personal buffbots for community use. I simply haven't because I don't want some dick messing with my faction and irrevocably screwing over dragon/giant, or getting my characters jailed forever if I do ever decide to come back, as unlikely as that is.

Oh and I agree with Otcho about the loot code too.

Good points all around. I think the main thing to take away from that is that after spending ridiculous amounts of time in-game, even people who are sick of playing still like to lurk on the forums.

Also, more and better loots off garbage world mobs is achievable by feeding Slaariel some 3D weapon models.

This is Draist. just happen to be an example of the above case of forum lurker. just haven't said much.

The faction issue is actually the reason I never listed my snowskin toons publicly. There are gnolls in that zone that don't like evil classes but all my hunters are friendly with them so they don't end up being adds on fights with the adept(at least when there isn't an evil class in the group). I could easily see people who didn't know better messing up the faction on these toons to rescue their friends from the gnolls or just going around killing them for xp.

I personally would be against anything requiring petitioning to get access to the toons. not sure how many people would be willing to wait for a petition to go through when they are organizing an adept raid involving anyone but themselves. Also keep in mind there are probably around 100 public adept hunters that people are going to be wanting access to at all sorts of hours if this became an issue for any significant portion.

My suggestion if we really need this type of system and if it is possible would be to set up npcs at the adepts and major towns that these toons can be registered with that would give out 1 time passwords that are tied to the requester's ip address that put out a time stamped notice to persistant gm channel that they are being used and by whom. maybe have some pre checks on these npcs to reduce the work the gms would be doing like determining if 3 boxing may be happening across more than 1 ip. If this system was used would also need to include an option to enter the ip address of another computer since two boxing on separate computers is allowed.

This would allow public toons info to be more privatized and allow better gm tracking of the situation. some concerns with this though. I would have is while I could possibly come back to deal with this I am not sure if Grinkles is still around or not. There may need to be some sort of auto enrollment policy when these toons are caught up in some issue or maybe staff going through manually to add them as there would likely be a requirement for more substantial proof of ownership to enroll a toon or people may do bad things. Also there should be an option to de-register a toon from this as a toon may have to be moved or removed from public service for various reasons.

Good points all around. I think the main thing to take away from that is that after spending ridiculous amounts of time in-game, even people who are sick of playing still like to lurk on the forums.

Also, more and better loots off garbage world mobs is achievable by feeding Slaariel some 3D weapon models.

Blame Draxx, he mentioned something about fusion to me so I took a looksee. I do pop in occasionally though to catch up with people that don't frequent regular channels .

Incidentally, what kind of 3d models would one look for. It likely wouldn't take very long for me to find a relatively large cache of them. Maya stuff?

Last edited:
Tons of work for all parties

I think the mention of petitioning to get access to community toons was only in regards to those that were jailed when someone misused them. Having info on the wiki and people using community characters freely has worked 99+% of the time so I'm not sure we need to go around reinventing the wheel completely, just address the rare problem that is this thread's title. Though, with an influx of new people this might become more of a problem.

The best idea in this thread so far in terms of work load, stopping cheaters, and not hassling the community is jailing the misunsed community characters for a few hours. Though in order for that to work the rules have to recognize community characters as distinct from normal characters who would be jailed for the full amount of time. I think the easiest way to differentiate the two types of characters would be creating an official guild analogous to "Dalaya's Beginners" (name TBD) that only characters listed on the wiki can join. That way instead of GMs checking every time if any of the characters involved in cheating are community characters they would just have to check once when inviting the characters to TBD.

That and slap a great big reminder with lots of caps and red and stern wording about multii-boxing on the Project Draist/Grin wiki pages.

Blame Draxx, he mentioned something about fusion to me so I took a looksee. I do pop in occasionally though to catch up with people that don't frequent regular channels .

Incidentally, what kind of 3d models would one look for. It likely wouldn't take very long for me to find a relatively large cache of them. Maya stuff?

Slaar said he'd accept stolen stuff. There was this maul in Guild Wars, a green item, with spikes all around it in a spiral. You should totally hijack that thing. It's one of the best-looking 3d weapons models I've seen.

There's also a buttload of 3d models off the SWGEmu that would look great. Knuckles of the Katarn and the Blaster-Fist would look pretty solid in SoD.

I've also noticed a severe lack of He-Man swords. Someone said lightsabers, but they had that as the Warrior epic on live.

Maya stuff...dude. The Mayan calendar o'doom would be a badass shield.

my solution was for the more extreme wide spread case of the issue or a pre-emptive measure to make the issue easier to handle if in the future the worst case scenario happened. for just a case here and there my suggestion I would admit is a bit extreme.

Slaar said he'd accept stolen stuff. There was this maul in Guild Wars, a green item, with spikes all around it in a spiral. You should totally hijack that thing. It's one of the best-looking 3d weapons models I've seen.

There's also a buttload of 3d models off the SWGEmu that would look great. Knuckles of the Katarn and the Blaster-Fist would look pretty solid in SoD.

I've also noticed a severe lack of He-Man swords. Someone said lightsabers, but they had that as the Warrior epic on live.

Are you talking gw 1 or 2? 2 entropy is one of the better hammer models (have one on my war)

But nah I was talking like format. I don't want to pick up something absolutely unusable. Unless any old model would do.

Are you talking gw 1 or 2? 2 entropy is one of the better hammer models (have one on my war)

But nah I was talking like format. I don't want to pick up something absolutely unusable. Unless any old model would do.

GW1. I can't remember the name of the hammer. It was a spiral of spikes that I only used in GVG in order to muddy thump.

GW1. I can't remember the name of the hammer. It was a spiral of spikes that I only used in GVG in order to muddy thump.
They use a lot of the models in 2, I'll ask around if I pop in my guild for the holidays. Someone probably knows.

Back
Top Bottom