Common bugs: how to be prepared for them.

Another way to avoid the keylock bug is to remap your auto-run key. I have never had the bug happen as I always remapped my auto-run to "F" instead of numlock.

Not sure that it'll work for everyone, but as I've never encountered this bug, I think it should.

Another unmentioned bug I've been seeing increasingly often is the "Error: Corpse out of range" bug. Essentially, it will give you that message when trying to loot a corpse regardless of your distance from it; you can be right on top and still get the error. It simply closes the loot window and does not give you the item. I haven't found any way around it - it can happen anywhere, but more often underwater and in the mountain regions of Sundered Mountain.

Related is the "Item not found" bug. This error may occur when trying to loot any item from a body. The item simply disappears and a message, "Error: Item not found - slot ##" (paraphrased) vomits itself into your chat window. However, unlike the Corpse out of range bug, the item does not stay on the corpse and doesn't show up when looting a second time. Moreover, it does not necessarily happen to every item in a given body. No way around this one either.

Maybe these are well known, I don't know. If anyone else has any info, please post it.

iaeolan said:
Item duping/insta LD when messing with food
This happened to me several times while moving stuff around before I realized what was booting me char screen. As you said, when moving a stack of food or water, the stack moves, usualy minus one which stays on the cursor. putting it back on the stack caused instant ld to char select screen. Heh, this after lding normally 3 times in 15 mins.

Error: Corpse out of range

This happens a lot in Eastern Wastes too. Annoying when you finally make this quality griffon meat drop and can't loor it. Maybe also in Frosthorn but I haven't been there recently.

This is more preventative maintenance than a bug, but it's a good idea to keep a second copy of your working EQ files in a separate directory. Occasionally something will happen with the files, and you can't get into a zone due to missing files. The error tells you which files are missing...nro for instance. Copy the specified files from your secondary folder and paste into your working EQ folder and you should be good to go.

Another way to free keyboard that seems to be locked is to Alt +Tab if you have another window open. I have to run with my internet connection open or my local server crashes SoD patcher or any other way of getting on to SoD. :dance:

Another bug:

Some zone bug where it puts you at 1 AGI after zone. Requipping anything or just picking a bag up from your inventory will fix it.

Is the keylock bug game or eqw specific?

It's driving me up the wall to the point where it's frustrating to play. Originally all was fine until i started a bot. Then things went woefully downhill. After reading the forums i noticed the keylock fix which greatly decreased the occurence, but it still happens randomly.

The only temporary fix i could get to work in my situation was to rightclick the game bar in the system tray thingy and either 'move' or 'resize' click about a bit, spam Esc and fixed... but only temporarily. The longer term fix required relogging to login every damn time.

I'm not even level 10 and this silly little thing is going to drive me to quit.

Will post more details if i figure out a workaround.

Einstein said:
Is the keylock bug game or eqw specific?

It's driving me up the wall to the point where it's frustrating to play. Originally all was fine until i started a bot. Then things went woefully downhill. After reading the forums i noticed the keylock fix which greatly decreased the occurence, but it still happens randomly.

The only temporary fix i could get to work in my situation was to rightclick the game bar in the system tray thingy and either 'move' or 'resize' click about a bit, spam Esc and fixed... but only temporarily. The longer term fix required relogging to login every damn time.

I'm not even level 10 and this silly little thing is going to drive me to quit.

Will post more details if i figure out a workaround.

The Game client tends to lock the right shift if you use it a lot (just hit right shift once to unlock), most other keys only lock in EQW. You can run the game client in a window without EQW, alt-enter switches it between full-screen and windowed, but without EQW the game will not release the mouse when you zone a character or hit a logging in or camping screen. I prefer to deal with the problems inherent in running the two instances of the Game client at once over the problems with EQW, try it out and decide for yourself.

Oh, disable EQW in the 'advanced' menu on the SoD patcher.

Wesell said:
The Game client tends to lock the right shift if you use it a lot (just hit right shift once to unlock), most other keys only lock in EQW. You can run the game client in a window without EQW, alt-enter switches it between full-screen and windowed, but without EQW the game will not release the mouse when you zone a character or hit a logging in or camping screen. I prefer to deal with the problems inherent in running the two instances of the Game client at once over the problems with EQW, try it out and decide for yourself.

Oh, disable EQW in the 'advanced' menu on the SoD patcher.

I think you're referring to the windows 'stickykeys' feature, which i have turned off.

The best i've been able to do to avoid the keyboard being locked out, and then after several hours only requiring a re-log and it's fixed is:

Keylock ON
Mouse control DISABLED (F12)

So basically playing with the keyboard, and using a Mouse toggle key if i really need to use the mouse in some cases, but mostly don't need the mouse for any control at all. Just standard clicking looting and dragging.

Tried to play without eqw running and the game just had a massive flashy video death of doomy doom doom. So yeah, not a lot of options to work with, but got a workaround in the end thankfully.

Einstein said:
I think you're referring to the windows 'stickykeys' feature, which i have turned off.

The best i've been able to do to avoid the keyboard being locked out, and then after several hours only requiring a re-log and it's fixed is:

Keylock ON
Mouse control DISABLED (F12)

So basically playing with the keyboard, and using a Mouse toggle key if i really need to use the mouse in some cases, but mostly don't need the mouse for any control at all. Just standard clicking looting and dragging.

Tried to play without eqw running and the game just had a massive flashy video death of doomy doom doom. So yeah, not a lot of options to work with, but got a workaround in the end thankfully.
It's actually a few buttons that cause the keyboard lock. when using shift up to recall previous commands, the right-shift sticks sometimes, when alt tabbing, the ctl sticks sometimes, this is the client doing this, not windows sticky keys (which has a prompt). A way to remove the keyboard getting fugged when tabbing between two windows would be to use the command EQW has to toggle between two windows, which is ctl shift r (iirc). This command can be changed in the eqw ini file to something else, but you will probably need it to remain a ctl shift + ___ so it doesnt interfere with other windows and in-game commands.

not really a bug but its been known to irritate people when a monster dies inside of a wall and u cant loot the corpse especially the ones that drop something u need. easy fix commands are /target a (targets corpse) then /loot (to loot the corpse) i hope this helps for some people.

Another bug which could be listed:

Listsold "Xyz is not selling any item #123" bug: Listsold listings appear to be zone specific, populated when a zone is booted, and updates do not happen consistently or frequently. This can cause items to be shown in listsold listings which are either not available (you get "Xyz is not selling any item #123" when trying to listbuy), or which contain the wrong item when you listbuy. To avoid these issues, you can zone to your house to get a fresh, up-to-date listing since the house is instanced and going there spawns a new version of the zone.

GuiardoTuneweaver said:
Another bug which could be listed:

Listsold "Xyz is not selling any item #123" bug: Listsold listings appear to be zone specific, populated when a zone is booted, and updates do not happen consistently or frequently. This can cause items to be shown in listsold listings which are either not available (you get "Xyz is not selling any item #123" when trying to listbuy), or which contain the wrong item when you listbuy. To avoid these issues, you can zone to your house to get a fresh, up-to-date listing since the house is instanced and going there spawns a new version of the zone.

ive ran into this bug before i wonder if theres another fix for those of us whom dont have a home to go to.

Demonicol said:
ive ran into this bug before i wonder if theres another fix for those of us whom dont have a home to go to.

Everyone over level 20 has a home to go to.

Demonicol said:
really? how do i find out about it? i thought it was a donar only thing.

You could start by clicking the link I posted. :psyduck: For details about the house itself, look for the thread on Donator Housing in the Tome of Knowledge (this forum!).

I have started getting really bad keyboard bugs where I can't do anything with the keyboard - can only use the mouse in Game. Only solution seems to be to ALT-F4 the application and restart... Seems to happen more often when I use EQW while PLing my warrior. Has anyone else gotten this?

Back
Top Bottom