Bugs and you!

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
We all know SoD has zero bugs. But if you WERE to find a bug, I wanted to let folks know the best way to handle it.

There have been considerable questions about whether /bug does anything. YES, IT DOES!! It stores all the collected information in a table that we can reference later. It is the PREFERRED way of reporting bugs as a matter of fact.

Examples of things properly submitted to /bug:

- Broken quests (most bugs should go here! It is rare that a quest bug is something we can fix on the fly)
- Typpos
- Loot drop problems
- Pathing or other MOB problems (depops, unresponsive, etc.)

If it's something that needs immediate assistance, you can /petition. Be aware that this should only be used in cases where we're going to be able to fix something immediately. To be honest, this doesn't happen often - there are a few known quests for example where something can get goofy, but it's quite unusual. Most everything else should go to bug.

Why? When it goes to /petition, yes we see it, but it's difficult to keep it in the queue to be looked at. Unless a lot of people petition it, chances are it will fall off our radar and never get fixed. With /bug, we at least have a record of it so that it can be addressed in the future.

Feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread.

Addendum: All parts of the /bug window are functional and send us information, including the target information. Make sure to select the proper category, check appropriate check boxes, and if the issue is with an NPC, make sure they're targeted when you submit the report as it it makes it considerably easier to track down.

What is the best way to report an item that isn't working correctly, or at least appears not to work correctly?

Example: Singed Vestments of Rage : this chest item will proc the person wearing the robe other than procing on the NPC that triggered the proc by melee. Is this by design? Or was this just a simple oversight when making the item? If I had to guess Marza made this item and he is no longer a part of the dev team. I'm just curious how something like this gets fixed, or how do we even know that it is broken?

I have personally /bugged this item before and I know of others that have made posts about it, talked about it in ooc, and said that have also /bugged it.

Follow up to the Singed Vestments - that did seem a little harsh, particularly for BOE gear. As such, we've changed the proc to Burst of Fire (I think that's it) which is a 10pt DD instead of 135. It *is* supposed to cast on the wearer - it's part of a series of items that are designed to be pretty nice, just with a minor downside. That should go in next patch.

I appreciate this thread Taryth. Thank you. I was wondering how many times should one bug report before they realize that it is not a bug and it is as intended. There are certain things that I have bug reported on and off for the last 4 years or so that did not get changed. Even things I know are bugs like quest spelling mistakes and such. I certainly understand that Dev's are always busy, but when folks never get an acknowledgement on what is read or not read I often wonder if it is worth it to send in a bug report.
My apologies if this is coming out 'snarky', I just can't think of any other way to ask the question.

Yeah to be honest it's a little hard to manage at present, and the bugs we get do range from spelling errors to exploits. Obviously we prioritize those things that are exploits/game breaking, but we don't always provide the best feedback. Part of that is that we really are insanely busy, both in and out of game. That said, I'm on a mission to try and improve that a bit, because I know it's frustrating.

With 2.5 tantalizingly close, it's going to get harder for a bit to respond to bugs in the short term as we shore up 2.5 and get it ready for GA. But once that's done, I hope to go through and catch up on the /bug list. We're also looking at tools to maybe make it easier for us to manage them better in the future. This is one I just happened to see, was curious what the deal was, and it was literally a 30 second fix once we agreed on the course of action. They aren't all that simple. :)

Follow up to the Singed Vestments - that did seem a little harsh, particularly for BOE gear. As such, we've changed the proc to Burst of Fire (I think that's it) which is a 10pt DD instead of 135. It *is* supposed to cast on the wearer - it's part of a series of items that are designed to be pretty nice, just with a minor downside. That should go in next patch.

just curious, where did you get this info? - no other Rohk rust boss loot has intended downsides. It is quite lackluster now.

That does seem really strange. The other Rohk trash drops are all among the best BOEs available, which is appropriate considering the difficulty in obtaining them. I can't see why anyone capable of buying/farming that robe would want it when there are better, cheaper, easier to obtain options. The proc triggering on mobs hitting you would have given it some niche uses but as it is, it's simply vendor trash. Maybe it should be given a focus effect of some sort; generally the chest slot is one of the best slots for BOE focus effects so this will take a back seat to the ones with damage inc, mana con, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, I fully admit our process for responding is abysmal. We actually recently installed new bug tracking software and are trying to figure out how to integrate it with /bug to make it easier. So right now when we are manually entering bugs, it's like 1000% better than before, but it's still pretty opaque to the players. I'm hoping we can improve that here in the short term.

might be worth giving trial data to "player assisted development" so those of us with time can create something that might work? for long term effectivness

OH AND AS A REMINDER:

If you DO report a bug, don't keep exploiting it with the idea "I reported it, all is well." No...it's still an exploit. We try to reward folks for reporting bugs based on severity, etc., but reporting it does not suddenly give you carte blanche to exploit. Just saying. ><

I've been noting /bug reports for non-exploitable issues on the wiki: example. Things end up populating as a category here. Not an ideal solution, but if people note this, at least you know someone already /bug reported.

Wiki code:
{{bug|Explanation. Bug reported mm/dd/yyyy.}}

Hmm I'm not sure that we have a place for them atm. I would *love* to actually update Fomelo some day with some new features, but there just isn't time. Honestly, Fomelo is probably at the bottom of the priority barrel right now. But it might make sense to post them right here in the forums so we at least have a record of it.

So okay, I found a fomelo bug. Or at least something that could be fixed. Should I just post it in general? It's not really a tech support thing.

Back
Top Bottom