A couple SK thoughts, maybe bugs or suggestions if not bugs re new spell changes.

Thuug

Dalayan Adventurer
As stated, half suggestion half wondering how these spells are supposed to work with the new direction spells are taking.

Banshee Aura: this is a SELF ONLY damage shield with a 9 minute duration that ticks down when cast. (bug reported as well)

Grim Aura: Self only attack buff with a 25 minute duration, ticks down when cast. Its self only and super frustrating for low level sks to have to mem and recast every 25 minutes.

Unholy Shield 1 -Silent spell- (and I assume 2), the second (explosion) effect will NOT proc if a physical shield is not equipped in the off hand. The flavor descripion seems to indicate the shield is created and not just changing the SKs own worn shield in any way. This still applies even when Jyre is equipped which is supposed to count as a shield. I get the flavor idea of this restriction but its very frustrating in practice as you can't proc the effect when using a two hander at all. Could the spell maybe be coded to not trigger off of shield blocks, maybe just a chance of proccing when hit in melee?

Deathly Temptation (sk lich): -This spell also has a duration and counts down. Should this be groupwide as well (maybe unbalanced but would fit with necros getting the same thing)? It is 7 mana a tick. Any chance at an upgrade at some point? Even on live SKs got an upgrade at 64 to 15/tick.
-It is an illusion and also insta cancelled by entering combat with Jyre. I get that this is a very niche problem, but still SUUPER frustrating with the buff changes that we get a mana regen type spell and its useless due to having arguably the best tank weapon in the game.

Augmentation of Death (pet haste): This spell counts down and has a duration as does the rest of the spell line. Should it? Not that it matters for Sk pets which is a whole other discussion.

Voice line of spells: These spells always only had a ten minute duration, still does and counts down, however if there is ever a spell line that should be made an aura I would argue this is the one.

Touch of the Succubus/Shroud of Nightmares and associated spell lines: These spells need a rework of some sort, they last five minutes and take a buff slot on self/group. I always argued for them using the song window or the aura window or something, since the effects are not worth the buff slot AND a spell slot due to how often they have to be recast. How about these working like an aura, or if they could be made to just not use a buff slot.

Shrug, not trying to rework the class, just make more spells actually worth casting and using. Thanks

Unholy Shield 1 -Silent spell- (and I assume 2), the second (explosion) effect will NOT proc if a physical shield is not equipped in the off hand. The flavor descripion seems to indicate the shield is created and not just changing the SKs own worn shield in any way. This still applies even when Jyre is equipped which is supposed to count as a shield. I get the flavor idea of this restriction but its very frustrating in practice as you can't proc the effect when using a two hander at all. Could the spell maybe be coded to not trigger off of shield blocks, maybe just a chance of proccing when hit in melee?
Not sure of the original intention; but in its current form you can choose whether you want the beefy DS for the full duration or you want the proc by hitting bandolier. Changing it to proc on melee would lower the versatility of the spell. Especially for you with a Jyre, you can tank end game encounters that hit fast and increase your damage output while not losing tankiness.

The way Unholy Shield works is:

Step 1:Caster gets a 30 second buff, (+/- server ticks) buff that gives ac and damage shield.
Step 2: If you perform a successful shield block during this time you proc a PBAE and then
Step 3: You are given another 24 seconds (+/- server ticks) buff of 'aftershock: unholy shield' that has more ac than the first buff and a hate weapon proc on it.

A damage shield that lasts under thirty seconds is meh at best, and with a two minute reuse, I would argue that the meat of the spell is the pbae. The spell not proccing will slightly increase damage shield but you end up with less time with any ac bonus up and the second recourse is hate generation along with the aggro from the explosion. It squeaks into my spell bar once in a blue moon when I know I'm going to tank a lot of waves of mobs and need something else to generate aggro while veil is down. Beyond that, 30-~50 seconds of ac bonus, for me, guarantees it never sees use on anything but masses of trash mobs. For the same mana cost I can cast a lifetap that hits for 1k and crits for more than 2k on anythng single target.

If it could proc (and therefore effectively increase the duration of 'up time' a bit, to call it....~45 seconds) when using a 2 hander. I don't think making the spell easier to use in this manner would unbalance it. I'm still unconvined this change would even change the spell to something id add to my spell rotation.

Here is my gorilla math thinking. I would argue that the spell not proccing, that the second recourse not proccing is almost never a beneficial outcome.

Situation 1: The spell doesnt proc: The first part is a 60pt damage shield, for that to be more efficient than the 1000pt PBAE proccing, you would have to be pulling more than 4-5 mobs and they would each have to hit you 17 time EACH during that thirty seconds to equal the 1k damage. If you can pull more mobs than the ae target cap, this number does go down.

Situation 2: The spell procs: Same number of mobs come in, they hit you a number of times until a successful block occurs...taking the damage shield damage, then it procs, hits everything near you for 1kish (which can crit, unlike damage shields), then you get another 24ish seconds of even more ac bonus and a hate proc on top of whatever you had before it procced.

TLDR: Having the spell not proc is almost never worth it, so I would argue against the versatility of being able to 'decide' if it procced or not. The spell barely gets a spell slot in limited circumstances as it is, and further limiting it just makes it less likely to find a spot on a very crowded spell bar as it is.

EDIT: The+/- server tick duration problem, making both recourses last up to 6 seconds less than the listed duration each, REALLY Hits this spell hard btw

The spell triggering effect is a scripted effect that only works if you block, i don't think its as easy as just switching it to another trigger, i believe that's the only option based on a conversation I had with rymy about it months ago.

Second outside of raiding what're you doing where you're not regularly pulling more than 4-5 mobs? Many gameplay patterns on a character like your sk involve pulling large quantities of mobs where the ds is far better than the aoe. I actually found the aoe to be very lack luster on my SK, and basically only used the spell when i pulled huge pulls in fr/kaesora.

Last edited:
All selfbuffs tick down, no matter what class.
This is not a bug, it's a feature. Not triggering the AE while using a 2hander also means not breaking mezzes while using a 2hander.

You can also /s 7 the damage shield and be invincible while xping but i guess thats hardly a noteworthy thing.

Back
Top Bottom