Class Help

Delphwind

Dalayan Adventurer
Hello SoD community!

My friend and I are coming back after years away and are going to both be 2 boxing (is that still legal?).

Question: Which classes should we play to get the most out of SoD?

Right now we are considering the following group:

Me: Druid (heals/buffs/ports) + Paladin (Tank)
Him: Shaman (heals/buffs/slows) + Ranger (dps/buffs)

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Welcome back! You can 2 box still. I would change one of the priests to a cleric because they are that much more powerful at healing. I'd also change from paladin to sk because I think you are going to find it much easier over all.

Ranger is an interesting choice. I don't play one and there don't seem to ever be a ton around so maybe someone else can comment.

Hello SoD community!

My friend and I are coming back after years away and are going to both be 2 boxing (is that still legal?).

Question: Which classes should we play to get the most out of SoD?

Right now we are considering the following group:

Me: Druid (heals/buffs/ports) + Paladin (Tank)
Him: Shaman (heals/buffs/slows) + Ranger (dps/buffs)

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

If this is going to be a new set of characters I highly recommend you checking out an enchanter and not dual healing. Enchanters get pretty damn beefy / provide their own dps. Do not underestimate the haste / boon / mana regen.

I would dump that ranger and build a monk instead. Feign Death is very useful, and that way you won't have to felch arrows.

Not a bad setup. It really depends on if you're goal is a fun leveling up team or an efficient 65 group.

For leveling up, that would be really good. For an efficient 65 setup, you're going to be lacking on dps, but it's doable.

Either way, it's nice to have a porter in the group (druid or wizard) so you're good on that end. There's honestly a lot of ways you can go, I'd go with the classes you like playing the most.

Thank you all for your responses.

I love the idea about making a enchanter over dual healers, and I really appreciate the comment about low DPS at 65 ... we are playing for good fun but also love to min max!

How about this setup instead:

Me: Cleric - SK
Him: Wizard - Enchanter

Would we be gimping ourselves by not having a shaman for buffs?

Thanks again!

Thank you all for your responses.

I love the idea about making a enchanter over dual healers, and I really appreciate the comment about low DPS at 65 ... we are playing for good fun but also love to min max!

How about this setup instead:

Me: Cleric - SK
Him: Wizard - Enchanter

Would we be gimping ourselves by not having a shaman for buffs?

Thanks again!

you wouldnt gimp yourself without a shaman... also i wouldnt play a wizard. for your wizard to be really gooooood dps you need like a ton of gear. If he wants to play a caster i would swap to mage personally.

I think it depends on what level you are, if you have any money to begin with, and if you guys plan on playing both characters at 65 as duo's or not. Healer + tank for one of you I 100% recommend but the second duo is a bit up in the air. Rangers and shamans are great at the high end but kind of weak while leveling.

My personal preference is always sk + druid + bst + 1 other, probably some sort of dps. BST provides lots of buffs and slow. But it really depends how much you guys want to have your duos be functional for farming outside of leveling/playing together.

If you were just playing together I'd do SK + Enchanter, Druid + Bst. If you both want to be able to solo outside of that I'd do SK + Cleric, BST + druid, and just have the druid dps while leveling.

remember when druids complained about wanting healing because their ports didn't matter?

Pepperidge-Farm.jpeg

I'd do SK + Cleric, BST + druid, and just have the druid dps while leveling.

This. This setup gives two functional boxes that play well together and cover most of your bases- tank, heals, dps, ports (useful for leveling, not so much at 65 -suck it Nebi), buffs, slows. Depending on player preference you could swap the BST, but I think that BST is the most optimal both for the box and for the group since they can offtank, buffs/slows, great lvling and low tier dps (protip: h2h charm and glove damage mod).

Just about any group of four will work. That said, I would avoid Paladins (poorly designed tank class) and Warriors (gear dependent) for tanking; Rangers (ugh, arrows), Wizards (gear dependent), and Rogues (just because) for dps; Shaman (bleh heals) for healing. Each of those classes can be amazing with the right gear/AAs/spells or right situation or right player or whatever but pass all the same since the others are generally better or less hassle.

I have heard slow mentioned a ton of times, but I'd just like to point out that I almost never slow mobs unless they are raid type mobs or exceptionally mean. Slow was way more powerful on live before everything mitigated. DS gives too much dps to warrant slowing mobs...

I have heard slow mentioned a ton of times, but I'd just like to point out that I almost never slow mobs unless they are raid type mobs or exceptionally mean. Slow was way more powerful on live before everything mitigated. DS gives too much dps to warrant slowing mobs...

This helps a lot Daffie, thank you for pointing this out!

This. This setup gives two functional boxes that play well together and cover most of your bases- tank, heals, dps, ports (useful for leveling, not so much at 65 -suck it Nebi), buffs, slows. Depending on player preference you could swap the BST, but I think that BST is the most optimal both for the box and for the group since they can offtank, buffs/slows, great lvling and low tier dps (protip: h2h charm and glove damage mod).

Just about any group of four will work. That said, I would avoid Paladins (poorly designed tank class) and Warriors (gear dependent) for tanking; Rangers (ugh, arrows), Wizards (gear dependent), and Rogues (just because) for dps; Shaman (bleh heals) for healing. Each of those classes can be amazing with the right gear/AAs/spells or right situation or right player or whatever but pass all the same since the others are generally better or less hassle.

We both really like this setup (SK + Cleric and Bst + Druid) but would we be lacking too much mana regen? Can Bst and Druid do enough DPS to carry the group at 65?

Bst (with his pet) and druid should be able to handle your dps needs just fine. Bst can slow named for you, but otherwise just dps. Druid get self mana regen later on, and the bst gets the bliss line (group health/mana regen). If you are truly concerned about mana, you could recruit an enc (or just get crack buffs), or swap a bard in for the bst. A warning though, until much (very much), later on, that will be a big drop-off in dps to gain the bards mana regen and other utility (added ds, overhaste, mez, resists, etc).

We both really like this setup (SK + Cleric and Bst + Druid) but would we be lacking too much mana regen? Can Bst and Druid do enough DPS to carry the group at 65?

The beastlord will provide you with some mana regen buffs (8 I believe?) the druid gets some, and the SK can put up mana tap over time at 65. Should hopefully be enough to offset things. Eventually you will have access to the enchanter buff bots in the cities as well, and might even manage to score an enchanter. Those 4 characters should easily carry you to 65, and then you can always add more people to the group if you really want more dps.

Thank you all for your assistance and guidance. We decided to go with the SK + Cleric and Bst + Druid. We also talked a friend into playing and he made a Monk.

Back
Top Bottom