Why no Magic Mastery Tome

Bridger

Dalayan Beginner
I notice that while there are tomes of Fire/Cold/Poison and Disease Mastery, there are no tomes to enhance Magic based spells.

This hits Mages in particular very badly as a large proportion of Raid Zones have mobs that are Fire resistant. Can anyone tell me why there is this anti Mage bias and are there any plans to address it?

Thanks

The reason of this might be how common magic as a spell/resist type is compared to any other elemental. The existing tomes all help only a few classes, magic mastery would be one of these MUST HAVE tomes, considering that about any class that can cast has magic based damage, there are a billion procs that are magic based, oh, and lets not forget about lifetaps.

tl;dr

magic tomes are not there cause they would simply be too good.

The reason of this might be how common magic as a spell/resist type is compared to any other elemental. The existing tomes all help only a few classes, magic mastery would be one of these MUST HAVE tomes, considering that about any class that can cast has magic based damage, there are a billion procs that are magic based, oh, and lets not forget about lifetaps.

tl;dr

magic tomes are not there cause they would simply be too good.

Uh no, no it would not. Most classes do NOT use magic as a primary (or even desirable) form of damage. For mages (already one of if not the weakest class in the game, beastlord is the other contender) magic is going to make up over 50% of your damage at any given time. Taking into how often things are resistant to fire, way, way more.

There are also a shitload of ice, fire, poison and disease procs out there, as well as a large number of classes that use those types of damage for most if not all of their spells. Basically we got screwed, there just really aren't very many active mages to bitch about it, fewer that are even finished with regular tomes (so it would not be a consideration), and I don't play mine anymore, so my self interest is fairly low.

Last edited:
Uh no, no it would not. Most classes do NOT use magic as a primary (or even desirable) form of damage. For mages (already one of if not the weakest class in the game, beastlord is the other contender) magic is going to make up over 50% of your damage at any given time. Taking into how often things are resistant to fire, way, way more.

There are also a shitload of ice, fire, poison and disease procs out there, as well as a large number of classes that use those types of damage for most if not all of their spells. Basically we got screwed, there just really aren't very many active mages to bitch about it, fewer that are even finished with regular tomes (so it would not be a consideration), and I don't play mine anymore, so my self interest is fairly low.

/Argee

I love being turned away from groups/raids because " Mages aren't good DPS ".

Prehaps mages might see a class only magic boost tome *shrug*

they are pretty heavily encounter-based. if they can use both their rains and pet consistently and have cunning etc, they are very solid dps. the problem is, those situations are kinda rare (speaking in t8-10 content)

beastlords, however..

This and the Lifetap tome are coded and in. Just not in the loot tables yet (along with ~50 other tomes). The reasons are classified but have alot to do with me listening to Aisling talk too much and losing the will to do anything.

I'd like to see fire as a more viable option. Ice is ubiquitous(wiz, nec, mag, shm, bst, rng), poison and disease are fairly specialized (nec, shm, bst) but fire needs some loving.

note: classes were added off the top of my head so I might be wrong. they also only apply to spells and not well used procs.

Ya, well, fire tome is cool for mages, but its not like OMFG gimme, like ice for wizards. but i dunno, i am fine with it i guess...

When i got my archaic with Ryei, 1 day after it got changed to Fire Rain, instead of Fire DD... so no idea if it was a good change or not. /shrugs.

The concept of mages with their pets and the control of the elements of earth, air, fire, and water ... technically speaking they should have spells of all resist types, just not "fantastic" in any element, just versatile.

I'd also love to see the magic mastery tome. I hope it will be dropping in same manner as the other elemental damage tomes and won't be quested.
I found fire tome useful enough to even do it on my druid.

Back
Top Bottom