Whispering robes

vistachiri

Dalayan Master
Waited a bit on this robe being changed since it was broken when I received it, and also quite sub-par.

It is no longer broken, though it is still sub-par for the difficulty of the fight (compared with the difficulty of fights which also drop robes in the old world).

For comparison

Farhaniath (tier 9)
43 ac
tarhyls rage
starfire proc
5 dodge
20str
20sta
15 dex
20wis
20int
20cha
190hp
240m
20 mr
25cr
5 damage reduction

v

Whispering Robes (tier more than 9)
32 ac
35magic
5med
control enhancement 3
20sta
20cha
200hp
240m
5 fr
5 dr
5 cold
25 mr
5 pr
-5 mind shield

Farhaniath robe easily wins or ties in almost every category there is. At most this robe is equal to it, and with the -mind shield, in addition to the only noncomparable benefit being the magic damage, I'd hesitate to even call it that.

In addition it's also odd that a later encounter in the same zone has an enchanter only loot for the same slot.

Elegant Robe of Duty (tier 11 trash, but really probably 9 encounterwise)
25 ac
range 7 (a useful focus for absolutely everyone that can use the item)
5sta
5agi
20wis
20int
30cha
205hp
235m
5 mr fr cr pr dr
2 spell ward

Essentially this robe also comes close, and is from trash. A highly useful focus effect for everyone on it, a bit less ac, much less in the way of resists. 5 less mana, 5 more hp. 2% more spell ward, and 5 more mind shield. The 2% spell ward way makes up for quite alot. The mind shield not so much, but at the end of everything we pretty much end up with a better focus effect and 5 mind shield v 35 magic damage and +5 med.

For a short summary, these really fall out of any definitive place in gear setups. I'm certain a beastlord at the point at which they are capable of killing the encounter will be instead choosing an aethyr, and shamans will be choosing jhaldjarimars (both very much better). I'd compare them, but I feel it's pretty obvious both of them massacre whispering robes. Yes one could sacrifice a bit if one needed control enhancement 3. However in both cases there are much better choices, where one would actually gain things, rather than lose them, while still getting control enhancement 3 (collar for casters, echocrystal band for like everyone)

Necros may get some very situational use from it. Most I am guessing will still use their farhaniath robe 90% of the time (The only other person with it seems to indeed be doing that). Wizards, and mages are better off with farhaniath robe, or elegant. Enchanters, who would get the most use, are stuck between it, and a better robe which only they can use from the same zone.

Whispering robes also have no graphic.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with Aisling (Neg mindshield is terrible terrible), but I plan on wearing the robe since I have a fire focus already (It would totally be out if I didn't though) and can make use of CE. That being said, it's kind of disappointing that a robe from ToT is arguably better than a robe from REDACTED. It would be nice if it was more appealing to other classes besides necros and enchanters.

It also seems a bit weird the enc only robe off the other encounter is better in every single way, while the fights are of similar difficulty. The only thing the other robe doesn't slaughter it in, is +5 med, and 5 hp.

More resists, a bunch more mana, an 8 focus, mana whisper proc, 2 spell ward (Instead of -5 mind shield), +10 divination (apparently thats going to do something soon according to cyzaines rather ambiguous comment), a whopping 40 more magic damage, etc. It even has more ac.

Last edited:
Things that would make the whispering robes worth wearing:
NO NEGATIVE MINDSHIELD
More Mana or A little less mana and some FT
Stats? INT/WIS over cap have a use, STA/AGI are nice too.
More HP or Saves or something to make it more appealing than Farhaniath robe and Jhaldjarimars
Even a T-7 focus effect would be nice (A T-8 would make it ideal). Casting Speed, Bane Inc, Affliction, or elemental focuses come to mind (Most of the classes on the robe could benefit from a Disease or Poison focus!)

What it comes down to is there is no way a Shaman (I say shamans because I assume it was assumed that CE would be weighed VERY heavily in their gear choices) would use this over Jhaldjarimar because they can have CE in other slots and not have to give up as much for it (Jhald has mega stats, /WAY/ better AC, 5 more saves, more HP, Better CHA and a very very valuable focus effect.) and no INT caster (besides /maybe/ and enchanter) would wear it full time over a Thaz tower or Farhaniath robe. They just have to give up too much to use it and can get CE easier in other slots (Echocrystal Band, its like, comprable to the 'end-game' rings that people wear).

This Item is out of charges!
Also, 1int/wis intended? or did you miss a 0
(I'll make a more detailed post on this after class~)

Okay, I'm going to start out by posting a comparison of this robe (New form!) to the robe that damn near every top 5 list int caster is wearing:
robes2.png

and here are the other robes that are being worn by players on the top 5 list (Since these are people who could conceivably do Ikisith stuff maybe.) for the sake of having them here for eye-balling stats.
robes3.png

Now let's start with the swap that ~70% of the top 5 int casters would make for this robe.
Switching from Raiment to Whispering:
-5AC
-5 dodge mod
-starfire proc (612 base DD)
-Tarhyl's Rage
-15 dex, -20 str, -19WIS/INT
Redistribution of Saves (Less CR for more MR and 5 of everything else)
-5 Damage reduction

+ -5% MS, -2% Agg, +2% Crit Strike
+10hp
+Control Enhancement
+Mind Hunger (Same clicky that is on the ammo slot that every caster who has done the first dippings of the Vah quest has)
+10 Meditate (Doesn't this only help you out of combat?)
+40 disease damage (Which is kind of nice, still checking out how it works for dots. So far with runic it just get added to the first mob hit by the PBAoE and then ignored with everything else.)

Okay, Adressing this as an int-caster here are the reasons why someone would want to wear this robe full time: You are an enchanter who cannot live without control enhancement on yourself 24/7. You really really want 50 disease damage. You did not do the first part of the vah quest and want mind hunger. You want to meditate harder and get more mana between pulls.
Now, reasons why you wouldn't want to wear this robe full time: You don't want to have negative mind shield (It's really not very nice!), You don't think 10hp is worth 5 damage reduction and 5 dodge (It's not!), you have done the starting parts of the Vah quest and already have a Mind Hunger clicky (You are missing that 1.5sec casting time, right?), you need a fire focus /way/ more often then you need control enhancement (Well okay, maybe enchanters don't), you have a tome of the mind and need the benefits of overcap INT/WIS, and because it does not have a compelling reason to make you want to give up all the above to wear it, it does not have more mana, some FT, or a useful focus effect.

If you are an enchanter who is doing the zone that this comes out of then you literally have no reason to want this robe since a mob not very far away drops the MANA CON EIGHT, 265 mana, +75 magic damage, +10 Divination, 50MR, 35 CHA ,+2% spellward robe-of-holy-crap-this-is-an-awesome-upgrade wonderfulness.

The fact that it gets beaten out by thaz robes (Mage and Wiz for sure, Necro and Ench maybe because they have good focus effects, better advanced effects, and some procs!) hell, the fact that it's even comparable to thaz robes, is terrible. You can get them from lower thaz. Why is gear that you can get from lower thaz beating out and being worn over ikisith gear? Is lower thaz harder than the fight this robe comes from? I think not.

and now here is what all shamans and the beastlords wear:
bstandsham.png

Swapping from Jhald to Whispering:
-30 hp
-34 ac
-Healing Increment 7
-Self heal Proc
-10 FR CR
-7% stun resist

+CE3
+med mod
+dis damage
+Ammo clicky effect on chest
+ -5% Mindshield, -2aggro, +2 crit
+5 DR/PR

Swapping from Athear to Whispering
-10AC
-5DR
-19CE
-8PR, DR
-35 HP
-30 mana
-Mana Con 7
-18 dex, agi, 20 str, 15 wis

+Disease damage
+Med mod
+Clicky
+CE3
+25mr, 5 fr
+4 cha
+ -2agg, -5 Mindshield

Now, looking at this from shamans first. There is absolutely no reason to ever take off a jhaldjarimar. period. ever. Chest slot is the best slot for healing inc ever. It also has great saves, better CHA, more HP, way better AC, +str agi and dex, a self heal proc, and stun resist. There is no way that a shaman would ever give that up for Control Enhancement when they can get it on better slots. The only thing this has on it that would be nice for shamans sometimes (besides the CE) is the disease damage and maybe the meditate.

From the beastlord point of view: At first I thought this would be an upgrade to the thaz armor. However, after account for augs, its the same amount of crit strike, the same AC, the same amount of negative aggression, they keep more mind shield, they have the only beastlord wearable Comp Health 7 that drops before sanctum, a more useful clicky for a beastlord, and more STR, AGI, and DEX.
Yep, Thaz class armor for a beastlor beats this out. Now, beastlords can also use Raiment, so they go through the same negatives that casters go through, but they probably care most about the dodge, AC, damage reduction, and chest proc (I assume if they are wearing this then they don't need crit strike, since thaz armor is easier to get than this.)
If they have on Athear there is no way they will ever change it, because it has the AC and Damage reduction of Raiment, but with the crit strike of thaz armor and a banging Mana con7 and phat mana.

So, basically what I think is wrong with this robe is it's trying to please too many people (Int casters, a healer, and a melee dps class) and it results in it pleasing no one. I honestly think the best thing that could happen to this robe is it could get a different focus effect, it's totally not worth it in it's current form. However, if you are hell-bent on keeping it in it's current form (A robe for control enhancement slot) here is what would make it (maybe?) be appealing to all these archetypes who would wear it:
*Change the meditation skill mod to a Conjuration or Divination skill mod. Most of the classes who can use this have pets or dots, and would probably value getting a benefit to them over getting faster med time.
*Change Mind Huner to a low cannibalize clicky so that it can be used in conjunction with the current Mind Hunger clickies that every caster who has given the vah quest a funny look has.
*Remove the negative mind shield. Seriously, why this is on here is a freaking mystery to me. This item is not anywhere near good enough to have a serious drawback on it.
*Bump up the saves, everyone who would wear this could benefit from that, or focus them into fewer saves (MR DR? PR DR? FR DR? idk!)
*Give it a bit more AC or some damge reduction to make it better than thaz armors/raiment? I mean there is no hope for jhaldjarimar AC, but cmon.

In conclusion, the fact that this robe can be compared to Tier 8 chest slots from. thaz. tower. should speak volumes about how it needs help. It comes from the same zone that drops that bangin' sweet enchanter only robe, the mob who drops it is super close to the mob who drops whispering and I don't think the difficulty difference is anywhere near that huge (Personally I think they are on the same tier of difficulty). I'm going to make the point again that any other focus besides Control Enhancement would make this robe worth wearing, but I think you totally over estimated how people would feel about Control Enhancement (Specifically, I think you wanted shamans to wear it, but that will never happen because of Jhaldjarimar, and the runner-up backup slower beastlord has better chest options since T-8. Furthermore, neither of them would use this since they have had better CE3 choices since T-8) and hurt the other points of the item to reflect your thoughts about it.

tl;dr: This robe drops in an ikisith raid zone that takes some mega-questing and a hard ass fight to get into and it is not better than thaz tower armor, it should get made better by picking a different focus effect.

on a sorta related note: do BP damage/debuff procs have a range/los limit? say youre a caster thats hiding from an ae, but still get hit with phantom strike, would your farhanniath robe proc?

Wait, this has mind hunger now that's instant and inventory clickable and you're still upset? I mean, considering all the relatively equivalent tiered items you linked in comparison I think one has to be best and it doesn't have to be this one.

You're comparing this item to people on the top 5 list, people who actually went down in tiers to get it, and you're upset it's about the same as what you've currently got.

For some reason people think Yclist is tiered beyond Sanctum just because it happened to be released afterward.

If the zone is not meant to drop items that appear to be better than items from sanctum then some encounters in the same zone shouldn't be dropping a robe as awesome as the enchanter robe (which thoroughly spanks the asses of all other robes in existence AND got made better from when it was first seen!).

Back
Top Bottom