Very wonderful WARRIOR tweak!

Kharras

Dalayan Adventurer
Ok so first off, I must apologize for my last terrible, somewhat condescending, and possibly even rude post about The Mountain's Fury's proposed missing fire focus. At least I think I remember posting about that, but it has strangely evaporated into the nether, seemingly gone forever..... but that is neither here nor there.

In order to regain some sort of synchronicity between the "tanks" usefulness, which I believe is steadily eroded as AA's, spells, gear, and tiers increase.....namely the usefulness gap that evolves between Knights and Warriors mostly due to the a fore mentioned game mechanics, calls attention to the consideration of a possible "tweak" to Warriors. I know this is nothing new, and might cause physical illness to some reading this post, but bear with me in my boredom this morning before I go plow my garden and plant some may'terz!

To the point-

SHIELDS. Why not make Warriors the only class that can wear shields for a back slot item? This simple tweak would give warriors a bit more AC than equal tiered back slot items, roughly the same HP, BUT here is the good part......allow Warriors the ability to melee proc whatever the shield bash proc is while wearing! Knights can proc bracers right? Man, this is getting fun! Of course the melee proc rate would need to be adjusted to a lower value compared to the bash proc rate in most cases. I think this would really give Warriors that little extra boost of versatility that they need to be more useful in most 6-man and raid settings. Need a little more aggro? Equip the spires shield for the hate proc (higher melee proc rate for simple hate). Want to maximize dps? Throw on that ridiculously OP Thaz shield (lower proc rate for high dmg procs so as to not make hate proc bad). Wanna help the group with the heals a bit? Crank out the Anthem! Tanking an AoE group? Pull out that Gravel Estucheon! Well, maybe not. But, how easy would it be for the Devs to make more shields to serve different purposes? Fun Stuff.....

I would much rather see them be able to dual wield shield and have the ratio related to the ac on the shields.

I'd personally rather just see some buffs to their ability system. Its a super cool system already, just adding in some more utility and self-sustain would fix the gap between warriors and knights without having to force new itemization options which might not even be possible in this client.

I don't think any/many tweaks are really necessary. I think playing a warrior is just more interesting and may take a bit more skill than a Knight. Just look at some of their abilities and consider they are already the best at mitigating damage.
1) Resilience - more mitigation - cuts incoming damage in 1/2
2) Blood lust - part of your damage back in heals
3) On your feet - entire group dodges next 2 attacks
4) Defend - reduces incoming damage by 15% (miniature resilience with much smaller cool-down)
5) Stand your guard - allies take 10% less damage from spells
6) Now - all allied spells currently being cast instantly finish, all spells beginning to cast in next 1/2 second instantly finish
7) Enrage - auto-riposte
8) Resilient defense - 15% damage mitigation for 10s but cannot use any other abilities.
9) /shield - allows to transfer some of warriors mitigation to target

So for autopilot tanking yes they may be a bit behind paladins and sk's who can self heal fairly reliable on easy content, but anything that does big numbers they are far superior. They also have some very neat abilities that can help out groups/raids. Also the innate defensive stance /s 4 is a 13% mitigation and no negative effects while the knights defend in stance 3 and lose 10% haste.

TLDR; Warriors have to push more buttons than spamming blind/heal/lifetap but overall are much better suited for tanking anything that hits hard. Also have the ability to /shield when the warrior may not be as geared as another tank.

I would say each tank class has thier niche and very awesome things about them. SK's lifetaps are awesome, a healer mode paladin can out heal a shaman and with runic ghots are AMAZING for ae's. Paladins are the ideal second healer for any higher end 6 man. Or if they are tanking can also be considered a second healer/pad heals with ghots and targeting heals to maximize dps. Warriors excel greatly on raid content and mobs that hit really hard.

I don't think any/many tweaks are really necessary.

TLDR; Warriors have to push more buttons than spamming blind/heal/lifetap but overall are much better suited for tanking anything that hits hard. Also have the ability to /shield when the warrior may not be as geared as another tank.

Seems like people who've raided for the long haul and therefore "know better" think warriors are fine but everybody else thinks they're somewhat bad. Devs have said in ooc the issue is that warriors don't shine at all until they meet a gear threshold, and I presume that is by design. The ability system is really neat tho.

This was a good post:

[W]arriors are not weak IMO. They just aren't as desirable as knights on most content. Hell, they could be vastly improved by just changing a few of their abilities. Turn NOW into a caster version of Finish Him, Up the heal % on Bloodlust, and remove its cooldown/maybe make it stack on itself, so if a warrior wants to focus on self healing they can just mash that over and over and ignore other abilities, add some innate dps bonuses and more -tanking to aggressive stance so they can become like 75% of a dps, and warriors would be on-par with knights IMO.

i like subuti's idea but i also dont see it being realistic. We gain 13% mitigation passivly which other tanks have to spend stamina to gain this. And ar elimited to other stamina abilities in the process. i would like to see our activte mitigation reworded/twerked because it doesnt improve our mitigation by another 15% but rather an extra 2% bringing us to 15%. not worth the stamina dumb. But more ac on weapons would be wrelcomed or perhaps a class 3 tome improving this so its more warrior specific?

i would like to see our activte mitigation reworded/twerked because it doesnt improve our mitigation by another 15% but rather an extra 2% bringing us to 15%. not worth the stamina dumb.

Really? That is terrible. Fix it.

Bloodlust healing for more and/or having a longer duration and/or stacking would be swell.

Some ability or enhancement of a passive ability (through AA or tome) which only works in aggressive stance with two handers would be peachy keen. Paladins can fall into a healer role and SKs can fall into a puller role quite nicely, so warriors dropping into an ok DPS role seems perfectly cromulent.

Some ability or enhancement of a passive ability (through AA or tome) which only works in aggressive stance with two handers would be peachy keen. Paladins can fall into a healer role and SKs can fall into a puller role quite nicely, so warriors dropping into an ok DPS role seems perfectly cromulent.

This would be great. Cripple their mitigation and/or avoidance for substantial DPS output so when a group has a better tank already they aren't quick to dismiss warriors for an empty spot while hoping for something better. Some sort of berserking style that causes the warrior to forego any sort of protective fighting style in lieu of dishing out as much damage as possible. Possibly couple it with a negative hate modifier so it simply is no good to use for tanking even if you have stupidly amazing gear/AA's/tomes to compensate for taking more of a beating.

This would be great. Cripple their mitigation and/or avoidance for substantial DPS output so when a group has a better tank already they aren't quick to dismiss warriors for an empty spot while hoping for something better. Some sort of berserking style that causes the warrior to forego any sort of protective fighting style in lieu of dishing out as much damage as possible. Possibly couple it with a negative hate modifier so it simply is no good to use for tanking even if you have stupidly amazing gear/AA's/tomes to compensate for taking more of a beating.
I'd like this for my paladin too :p

Back
Top Bottom