Vanguard - In hindsight.

telove2

Dalayan Beginner
We all know what happened so no need to go in to that. They all screwed up and it was badly managed and the game had a buggy release and everyone left etc, etc.

But when I think about the actual game itself, it wasn't a lot different to Live, and not a lot different to SoD. It's a LOT nicer looking, and the quests were as good or better, but either way, similar. It has similar classes, similar combat, and at the end of the day, for most people, it's about grinding from 1 to max while making friends and acquiring a stash of uber lewt. So again, not really any different to SoD or Live or WoW etc. It also had the great locations which are key to games like this. In fact, it wipes the floor with any other game in that respect IMO. Perhaps WoW has the upper hand now that it's had two expansions, but as a game on release, Vanguard was enormous, and it was filled with interesting locations. Hillsbury reminded me of Unrest, they had enormous desert areas, snow capped mountains, enormous dungeons, grassy planes, volcanic areas, swamps, etc.. and LOTS of it.

So I find it interesting to think that it's practically dead, and yet games like this live on, even though it's not a $40 million big budget game. It's easy to just blame it on the bugs and performance issues, but they are mostly gone now. I played it several months ago when they offered a free month, and it was pretty smooth. So I am interested what people think about the gameplay itself. What aspects of the gameplay were so bad for you, that you decided to stop playing?

Personally, I loved it at first, and the Bard class was amazing... But what really bugged and ultimately made me quit, was the inability to solo properly. I could kill 2 dot mobs in overland areas, but to me, that is the equivalent of fighting light blues in SoD all day. It was no challenge, slow exp, and extremely boring. The thing that interests me about games like SoD and Live, is that I can solo in a deep dark nasty dungeon like Mielech or whatever. In Vanguard, all the interesting locations like Hillsbury and dungeons etc, were filled with *groups* of 3 and 4 dot mobs. So they just instantly made it impossible for me to solo there, and that ruined the whole thing. So although Hillsbury seemed like Unrest 2 at first, it quickly turned to crap when I realised you can't even go in there unless you have a group, and by the time I was able to solo it, they were all far too low level to be interesting. And that pretty much sums up the entire rest of the game for me. In the 20's I would find an interesting looking dungeon but yep.. there were two 4 dot mobs standing at the entrance so that was a no go. And then in my 30's, again, I would find a great looking dungeon but there were a bunch of 4 dot mobs all over it, so again, it was out of bounds unless I put together a full group. So it was forced grouping, or forced BASIC soloing. No in between, and that is mainly why I left.

How about you?

i didn't play it but from what i heard, the bug were atrocious. Its kinda hard to keep a game going with horrid bugs and problems. Once enough people get it see those and get frustrated its awfully hard to get them back to play.

If sod had horrid bugs it wouldn't be around anymore. I know at times it has had its problems and there were/are some kinks to be worked out but none which completely screw your experience.

I think its the reason Diablo 3 hasn't been rushed to release. Blizzard knows that WoW had its problems which they were it seems fast enough to fix the majority of to keep players. They i assume don't wanna release a game full of debilitating bugs.

I havn't heard anything good about Vanguard other than it being huge.

I really enjoyed the game when I was playing it, the Diplomacy or whatever card game was rather interesting, the locations were awesome, and I enjoyed the class structure and how they played... What made me quit was that the performance was horrid even though I wasn't using that bad of a system. Had an Athlon 2800+ with Nvidia 6600 GT and 1gb of ram and only got maybe 10fps if I was lucky. Just ran like crap despite not looking like it needed to on lower settings.

Though that was around release time, never tried to look at it again later down the road.

i was very excited about it pre-launch because of the hc gamer stigma it had going for it and the similarities it was supposed to have to old EQ...

but i was short on moneys and couldnt get my pc up to par :(

then after about 6 months when i wanted to give it a try i heard there was little to no community...

Yeah it's a great shame because the performance is excellent now and most of the serious bugs were fixed. It's a really solid game now.

But it's too late.. It took a year or more to get to that point and everyone had left by then and it seems that a lot of the people who tried it were so disappointed that they didn't want to give it a a second chance.

They did a free month recently and it was pretty cool. They merged the servers so there are only a couple of servers now, but the one I tried was full of people. Unfortunately like I said above, I find the problem to just be the game itself, and no amount of patching will ever fix that. Some seem to like it of course, but I just couldn't get in to it. If I wanted a strictly grouping game, I would play WoW, because at least WoW has masses of content and a bright future ahead of it. But I still prefer SoD/Live over all, because the ability to solo as well as grouping is a big deal for me. I love soloing in these games. It's tense and fun and can be challenging in some places.

If sod had horrid bugs it wouldn't be around anymore. I know at times it has had its problems and there were/are some kinks to be worked out but none which completely screw your experience.

You know, when I started SoD it could take me up to 20-30 minutes to even log in (thank you login bug), after which I would get disconnected every other zone. The maximum players that had ever been online was 22 or 24 characters. It was filled with wonderfully weird bugs that would randomly remove items from your inventory, instantly kill you, etc.

So yeah, SoD really did have terrible bugs that would ruin your game experience, but thankfully the community and administration made up for it.

I was just looking at Vanguard again tonight.

Man, that game was so far away from releasing when it came out. They had such grand plans for that game, you could see it in every sphere. Vendors and buildings just empty. In Ahgram, there was like a whole second level to the city that you practically couldn't access but no doubt would have been filled with content if the game would have had the time/funding. Lol, its like they never even added the climb ladder feature that was intended to access those areas, I had to use jump boots. Things like that show you how abruptly they released without finishing hundreds - if not thousands - of things that they intended to have upon release.

Seeing those things made me sad because I know, if Vanguard would have had Microsoft and better management, it would have been the greatest game since live.

Vanguard had the most potential of any MMO I have ever played. Unfortunately the management wasted so much money that people just started to cut their losses.

It still has a large portion of the bugs it did then.

You know, when I started SoD it could take me up to 20-30 minutes to even log in (thank you login bug), after which I would get disconnected every other zone. The maximum players that had ever been online was 22 or 24 characters. It was filled with wonderfully weird bugs that would randomly remove items from your inventory, instantly kill you, etc.

So yeah, SoD really did have terrible bugs that would ruin your game experience, but thankfully the community and administration made up for it.

yea but like you said.. the admins also worked on the shit. I mean what GM on live or Wow Live would be watchin you letting you give input and help them out when there were probs they didn't know about.

Live would break bards EVERY patch. No one could raid for like 3 hours till someone messaged a gm to say wtf. Cause if they didn't, bards would be forever broken.

Big difference here than on p2p games is the Admin cares a crap load more.

The game certainly had a lot of drawbacks, but as others have mentioned, it had potential to be sure.

One thing I liked was the interface, offensive and defensive targeting. As I played a disciple (healer) I could target the MT as well as the mob, great way IMO. Also the spells my toon had were great, most of my attack spells had a heal of some sort in them, the downside was if I healed properly the tank would think I wasn't doing much. Never found another game with a healer that was so fun to play, only trouble was it wore out my wrist, haven't been able to play as much since lol.

Back
Top Bottom