Unable to read text

hanimosity

Dalayan Beginner
I am able to log on to the game and load the server, and all of my graphics seem fine, but I cannot read any of the text/script. Even when creating my character, the letters were so small and distorted that I was unable to get through the descriptions. I changed my screen resolution to make sure it was on the recommended one and it did not make a difference in the game. Is this a user interface issue and if so, how can I fix it? Thanks.

Try "/chatfontsize 5" when in game and see if that fixes it. (Default should be size 3)
You could also try switching the default font that you use;
Press ALT O (options) and then fiddle about with current font box, as seen in the screen shot below, incase you cant read the options box either. :p

After that, aside from closing the client and renaming "eqclient.ini" to something else, this will automagicly force a new default copy of the "eqclient.ini" file to be created the next time you launch the client.

If that fails hit the " - " button on the numeric keypad for a screenshot and post it here, SShots are dumped in the EQ directory with the filename format "EQ******.bmp" - Kinda hard to help if you don't provide more info ;)

Alright so I'm not really sure how to provide more info because I'm really new to this, but I did do the /chatfontsize bit and it helped with the chat box but nothing else, which makes me think I need to get into the code and change the font size for the whole interface. Can you help me do this?

Alright so I'm not really sure how to provide more info because I'm really new to this, but I did do the /chatfontsize bit and it helped with the chat box but nothing else, which makes me think I need to get into the code and change the font size for the whole interface. Can you help me do this?

uhhh just paste a printscreen or screenshot of your issue first before you make things more complicated for yourself

press the print screen key on your keyboard -> open paint -> paste -> crop however you want -> post link here

165639_1629040278788_1020000155_31385112_6248032_n.jpg

This is what my screen looks like. How do I fix this? What other details do I need to put up here?

Are you trying to run a widescreen resolution on a non widescreen monitor? Looks stretched horizontally to me. Again, the options menu has an area to change resolution under the "Display" tab (second from the left).

I've had a similar issue on my widescreen desktop monitor. The best suggestion I can give is to try various resolutions and font combinations until you find one that works well enough that you can read most things. Before you do that, be sure you know what is where in the options menu so you can change it back, because some fonts are going to be completely unreadable.

I always play windowed, so your mileage may vary if you aren't using eqw. You may also want to open your EQclient.ini and set a different default for chantfontsize (/chatfontsize can be set on the fly in game), though that will only effect the text in your chat boxes.

I have that problem when using EQW. If I play fullscreen, everything looks fine. (I'm not referring to native windowed mode, I'm actually referring to EQW)

It's cutting out horizontal lines of pixels across the entire screen, so it's trying to fit a larger resolution than the screen/window can handle. I get the same problem when I try to use EQW to create a window with the same resolution as my display is set. Try a smaller resolution and/or stop using EQW if you're using it.

Note: if you're using EQW, you can achieve virtually the same functionality by using Alt-Enter to window/fullscreen and Shift-Alt-R (as opposed to Ctrl-Alt-R) to free the mouse.

I know this is a mega old thread rez.... but I have this same problem. I have used a custom UI since the first day I started SoD, and I literally cannot play without it. The problem is, it is designed in 1280x1024, and will not display correct (windows strewn about in random places and whatnot) in any other resolution.

Widescreen monitors these days often refuse to display as many as 1024 pixels vertically, and so when I load this ui in EQW, it gets crunched and I see all kinds of lines through it making the text unable to read. I was just wondering if anybody knew a way to maybe make EQW think it was displaying 1280x1024, but actually be a smaller window?

i've had this same problem but i noticed if i made my chat font size 5 it dramatically reduced the issue and only cut off some text sometimes.

Same issue with my client and EQW. About every 5th line of chat text was "squished".

My fix was to edit eqclient.ini and manually change the vertical display size to be a little smaller. I run in 1920x1080. So after specifying "Height=1070" under the [VideoMode] section the issue almost completely disappeared.

Warning - After doing this you'll need to totally redo your UI layout or edit your UI_<character>.ini and find/replace the old resolution values with the new.

Back
Top Bottom