Tradeskill Exp Tweak

AoiMasamune

Dalayan Beginner
The last few weeks or so while waiting for Traekoth to respawn I've been doing some work with tradeskills (fishing and tailoring). I absolutely love the ability to gain exp from doing so. What I would suggest is making tradeskills gain exp by each successful, non-trivial attempt. Since it seems like the number of successes needed per skill level don't change, or at least aren't random, it would just be a matter of dividing the current exp gained by the number of attempts needed to gain the next level to figure out how much exp would be gained per combine. Doing it this way means exp is gained at the exact same rate all the way to mastery. The only change would be that exp wouldn't stop coming in for people at 250 skill. I think it would be nice to put in the work to get my fishing up to 250, then be able to grind out 1 or 2 AAs a day (meaning like 6 - 8 hours) while hunting for TMaps. Let me know what you think.

I hate the idea. While yes, splitting it between attempts is nice, at higher levels of smithing, I'm trying things that I fail more on, simply because it's that or make warpmetal legs over & over & over. I can actually sell the higher trivial things I get, but my failure rate is huge. What you're proposing, I'd be stuck making only the next item that's not trivial, to get the same exp. Hello, market overrun by only warpmetal legs, and no BP, because I will get half the exp... .

Won't work, IMHO.

lynnettell said:
I can't read
The amount of xp you got wouldn't change, nor would it matter what items you make.

If you normally received 10k xp for a skillup, and it took you 20 non-trivial combines, with his suggestion, you'd get 500xp per non-trivial combine.

It doesn't matter if you made "higher level" items, or just ones that were barely trivial. You'd get the exact same experience.

The only non cosmetic change would be that you could continue getting xp after reaching 250.

I don't do tradeskills, but it seems like a pretty sound idea to me. The only problem I see is that fishing would be far more proftable, xp wise, than any other tradeskill. At 250 in tailoring/smitting a non trivial attempt costs quite a bit of PP, while with fishing, you lose a piece of bait.

What I would suggest is making tradeskills gain exp by each successful, non-trivial attempt.

He's proposing SUCCESSFUL combines. So, using your example, 20 combines, 10k exp, with my smithing skill. Breaks down to 500 per successful. I get the same exp per point for all of the following.

Warp legs - 16/20 successes.
Warp BP - 10/20 successes
Excep Qual augs - 6/20 successes.

So explain to me how I'd get the same exp

Either it would be a coding nightmare, or it flat out wouldn't work.

Better idea would be limiting it to someone with 250 skill, successful combines with a trivial greater than 250 still give exp.

i think the idea behind doing tradeskill exp was a small incentive to skill up multiple tradeskills. IMO giving exp on every successful non trivial combine would be too much, and would be essentially a way to pl a character, which Wiz is very much against

Just my 2cp

Yeah, I'm happy with the way it is, personally. At least until I get to deepmetal & start cursing all the 250+ trivials. :)

To clarify:

Fishing requires aprox 5.3 non-trivial fish caught to increase skill.
Between 0 and 20 skill you gain 572 exp per skill increase. (not accurate, but I took it from the wiki for example purposes)

Just make it so that each non-trivial fish gives you 108 exp between skill 0 and 20.
This way you maintain the exact same exp to skill ratio all the way up 250.

at 250 fishing, each non-trivial fish would give around 1468 exp. (using wiki again)

At this rate you would need to catch about 150 fish per AA, using up over 2 bags of bait, especially if you take into consideration how much bait your going to lose on trivial fish.
I don't think thats unreasonable.

Lynnettell:
Grinding/grouping exp > tradeskill exp. Theres no reason to attempt to gain levels or AAs doing tradeskills. This would just be an incentive to make the stuff you are already making. For tradeskilling, the plat reward or gear upgrades is the main focus.

Edit: I misread one of your posts. I do believe in tradeskills other than fishing, failed combines DO still work towards gaining the next skill point. I forgot to take that into account.

Daelius:
I don't think this would be a reasonable way to PL a character. First the time investment is nutty. You would have to get your alt up to 250 skill before you saw any change at all from the existing system. Even with fishing (especially with fishing?) thats a major time sink. For the other tradeskills, you would have to spend the plat + time to level the skill. AND think about how much your combat/casting skills would suffer in the process.

If the exp reward was intended to get people to master multiple tradeskills, then I agree this suggestion would be pretty counter productive.

I do believe in tradeskills other than fishing, failed combines DO still work towards gaining the next skill point. I forgot to take that into account.

Since I don't fish, that was my point. Using the example above, I get the same exp for each of those 20 attempts. Whether I fail or succeed. That's why I don't think it would work.

In the ~other~ game, I believe tradeskill gains were controlled by the random number generator. At higher skill levels you had a lower chance of skilling up. Here that isn't the case, so I believe it's working on an invisible exp system. If this is true, they could simply add to real exp immediately after they give the tskill exp. No coding nightmare, and equaility across the board regardless of which skill it is.

As far as Taishar pointing out that fishing would be very profitable exp wise; the more expensive tradeskills give far more exp per skill point. I'm not sure exactly how much because the wiki doesn't have a table I can quote.

i could see this working for leveling up fishing, but that is about it

but that wouldn't help you fishing for tmaps as all fish in those zones would be trivial at 250

I don't think the way tradeskills give exp needs to be altered. It is a slight offset for the time that you invest in skilling up a tradeskill instead of exp grinding, and it works fine in that regards.

I would say most people that tradeskill do it with some intent to make a profit for themselves or at the very least make items for themselves at cost. So at 250 skill your benefit to doing combines is the profits that you can make. What I would love to see for all tradeskills, is an increase in the vendor buy back price on items.

As is being discussed here: http://www.shardsofdalaya.com/forum/index.php?topic=14420.0

EDIT: Minor change to better get my point across (hopefully)

Back
Top Bottom