Tomes

kildonalis

Dalayan Beginner
I was wondering about these tomes. GMs posted that they nerfed the drop rate and everywhere i see is tomes tomes tomes. most or type 1 and see some 2s. The reason why is started playin these game is beacuse of the seer fact that it was a harder mmo, ive been pluggin away at the game for little over a year now and when ikky first came out it was great. I understand that ppl are getting to know the area alot more which means more items but im seeing a surplus of everything now. I know some of the reasons why they are doing this but its making the game alittle to easy to get items and im losing interest in the game because of that fact. I was just wondering if i am missing something or am i the only one thinking this. I just dont want to see the game go this route and stick the SoD i knew when i first started playing.

Kildonalis

Last edited:
Few things about Ikisith you should consider:

• There is a great surplus in tomes (and ikisith items) atm, simply because everybody who can be is in ikisith cause it is new.
  • The only tomes you see a lot off are general tomes, wich can be used by anyone. Class tomes are a whole different story.
  • Tomes are the thing where high end people spend their XP for. And IDK about you, but I think it's better to make it common for people to have something to do with their XP instead of making it rare as hell.
  • Last but not least: a tome alone does nothing, you have to feed XP (lots of XP in some cases) into it to get a benefit. So essentially, tomes being everywhere just means you can find various things to spend your XP on.

It still takes a lot of effort to buff up, find a group, kill mobs, and then eventually get tomes from them. There is a lot more time involved in this process than most other games. Like Nwaij said, you also have to put buttloads of XP into tomes to get benefit from them. Also, you cannot get to the next level of tome (I, II, III) until completing the previous one.. so a lot of people aren't going to buy a III until they are done with a I and II. Therefore you may see some of those pile up in auction.

I've noticed the same thing, too -- an unusual amount of tomes in /auc. I believe part of the reason we've seen a drastic decrease in the price is due to there not being enough people to use them at the moment. How many characters do you know that have finished all 5 Codices of power? Not too many, I'd imagine.

Once more of the server matures, we'll again see a rise in demand for tomes.

It still takes a lot of effort to buff up, find a group, kill mobs, and then eventually get tomes from them.

What kildonalis was trying to say was that its amazingly easy, and even cheaper now due to the surplus of tomes, to get these tomes, instead of having to farm to get the tome yourself, you can just buy one.

I dont know what a solution would be to this, cuz there are so many different types of tomes, nerfing the drop rate again wold just be stupid, and making them nodrop would just be a pain to get the kind you want, as it is already a pain to get a certain tome if you are JUST farming for it yourself, INSTEAD of buying a tome.

What everyone else is saying is that it doesn't matter, because you could already by the Tomes of Power in infinite supply for less than any of these tomes are selling for, and Tomes of Power, unless you are an enchanter, are pretty much always going to be massively large huge gianormously more beneficial and powerful than any of the other tomes. The general tomes are so abundant right now b/c, as Nwaij put it, everyone that can go to ikisith does, and also because the people that can use the tomes have, by now, hoarded enough to keep them happy for a while. This means that the people who can use the tomes and already have them are selling them, while the people who can't use them yet are selling them as well.

A lot of people underestimate just how amazing tomes of power are. These ikisith tomes are essentially requiring you to spend a decent amount of money and 50 to 100 or more AAs for a benefit you can usually get from just a handfull of AAs for free. On top of that, on most of these tomes, you're going to have to complete an opus before you've regained the power lost from tomes of power being adjusted, and the opus, it be scarce.

To put it in perspective, for a grand total of around 8k or so, you can increase your healing, melee damage, and spell damage (all three) by 20%, and all you have to do is be able to walk into erimal. Going by average market prices at the moment, you could also choose to take that 8k and buy 1, possibly 2 pieces of fairly decent gear with a 55 lvl rec, or you could buy a tome that gives you a total of +4 resists, or allows you to raise the hidden strength cap on one stat by 10. (meaning basically +3 to that stat, if you can manage to get it to 495). Or you could buy a tome that increases your damage of one element type by 2% (half of a codex of power, which costs around 1600 plat by comparison, and increases ALL damage by 4%).

tl;dr: Ikisith tomes aren't going to break the game at all, despite appearences, and aside from a few special instances, unless you're doing some pretty dedicated raiding, the end result is going to be a more flavorful and fun near-restoration of power lost from tome of power balancing. So it's really ok if there are lots of them.

Last edited:
The fact that Tomes of healing 2 and mitigation 2 are still selling for like 50-100k pretty much refutes this post. Tome 1s are simply well stocked now but in no way too comon, and frankly I am having a hard time farming up the better tome 2's so I don't see the problem.

P.S. When you say you see them everywhere I am assuming you mean in /auc and its most likely because the same people are selling the same tomes because few people are buying them!

The fact that Tomes of healing 2 and mitigation 2 are still selling for like 50-100k pretty much refutes this post. Tome 1s are simply well stocked now but in no way too comon, and frankly I am having a hard time farming up the better tome 2's so I don't see the problem.

This. It took me (and by me, I mean my guildmates farming it for me since I can't play as often as them) well over a month to farm Avoidance and Resilience 2, and I have only seen one of either for sale and it was for a ridiculous price. As far as Tome 1s go, whenever I browse the entire listsold using the next command, I typically see a few vendors with a ton of them (probably co-op vendor or guild vendors) and then see a couple here and there from individuals.

The only thing I can partially agree with the OP about is that you see too many tomes being auctioned, because the people trying to sell them auction too much.

i get alot of the points and ty for all the post, i just go to iky and walk out with 1-2 tomes and maybe 3ish sometimes, call me lucky but the last 3 times i went ive got 3 class tomes aswell. i know that some are very rare (like some 2s and others) i just think that a little more nerf and it would be nice. imo

so basically, you want the droprate nerfed because you've built up a big stack (from getting 3 tomes a day or something) and you cant sell it for the amount of cash you would like to get...

i get alot of the points and ty for all the post, i just go to iky and walk out with 1-2 tomes and maybe 3ish sometimes, call me lucky but the last 3 times i went ive got 3 class tomes aswell. i know that some are very rare (like some 2s and others) i just think that a little more nerf and it would be nice. imo

The drop rates on tomes in a certain zone was bugged for a short time, if you happened to be there for that it might explain your luck. Pulling 3 class tomes in one trip however is very unlikely otherwise.

I can and I don't :) I avoid Ikisith like the plague, refuseing any groups that want to go thier.

*you may now flame or add insulting comments.

Check your reputation for your post :D Sorry bout that, didn't know it was you otherwise I'd have been nicer, but don't be such a hater! Iksith rocks!

Down with Ikisith!! :)

Drizzly, Like I ever cared about my Rep here, then again.. Negative Reping your own guild mate.. Jerk LOL. Just for that Im booting your ass out!!

Last edited:
For real, spending like 3-5k on a Tome of Magical Resistance I and doing 28aa's worth of exp for 4MR is NOT getting it easy. Take AA's for instance, AA resists are 2MR per aa, thats a 12x increase in the work/reward when you compare Iksith tomes to AA's. Should there be some long quest to unlock each AA line? I dont see why a tome should be so rare to obtain when you have to putt so much work into it after obtaining it.

P.S. im sure alot of shit looks easy when half your BQ group is 2-3 tiers over you. also I thought it was pretty funny that you say you joined this server b/c you were seeking a hard mmo yet your in a predominately ringed guild and then on top of that complain about how easy everything is.

Back
Top Bottom