The King's head Must Roll!!

heheh sorry :)

Prehaps you could add a head drop to Ice Lord out of SE, that way thiers 2 targets that you can choose to kill for the head drop. Its not like thiers ever been much of a waiting line to kill ice lord... Back in the day I recall many on tier guilds calling him "Raid Wiper".

So this would help with the congestion on this quest, giving higher tier guilds another option thats a bit more of a challenge, on a mob thats not killed all that often.

Another Dragon could also be picked (thats not killed to often) to be given the head drop so each side has 2 options.

Its always bothered me that SE giants dont drop stormgiant heads, but I know its been brought up many times before *shrug*.

Question to the staff.... is Empress/King suppose to be a bottle neck for this quest? I always got the impression that its just the final reward for raiding both zones and hitting Ally with one of the factions. (not to mention once chosen a toon has to stop flip flopping on kiling each faction so its a reward and a penalty rolled into one). More of a bonus .. much like those that Faction bind thier Gear, getting the quest Aug Gem is really just the ultimate Faction bind.

Bottle necking it doesn't seem like it should apply.

Question to the staff.... is Empress/King suppose to be a bottle neck for this quest? I always got the impression that its just the final reward for raiding both zones and hitting Ally with one of the factions. (not to mention once chosen a toon has to stop flip flopping on kiling each faction so its a reward and a penalty rolled into one). More of a bonus .. much like those that Faction bind thier Gear, getting the quest Aug Gem is really just the ultimate Faction bind.

Bottle necking it doesn't seem like it should apply.

I'm obviously not a staff member, but I'm fairly certain they want this to be more than a final reward and an avenue to add consequence to swapping factions back and forth. Clearly it also serves those purposes but it goes beyond that. There's a reason they haven't made this easier to attain.

Interestingly enough (regarding the discussion between the high end guilds sniping these nameds more often than not), it's generally the high end players that either have the extra time or are willing to expend the extra time to track and jump on these mobs. Things aren't handed out in this game, even though I remember making the same arguments when I was tier 3. We killed King a few weeks ago within 25 minutes of him spawning. If you want him, do the same, otherwise go wanting.

I would prefer another way to get the aug. I really don't like to take out a trivial raid target when we don't need any of the loots. I think it is discourteous. I know that to be uber you are expected to do that, I just don't really want to. I also don't want to ask my guild to spend valuable raid time taking out a zone for my aug.

I would support an alternative method to get the aug involving a much higher tier fight. Preferable one that would not screw lower tier guilds.

But I really don't like that type of competition on the server. It can get really cut-throat to get raid targets. Don't get me wrong, we will race to claim a zone. But it conflicts with my play style. But that is clearly intended an I just have to deal with it.

Competing for targets is part of the raid game, for better or worse. It would be nice and cuddly if every toon on the server could be tier 11 within a year or two, but then again, what fun would that be? The dragon/giant aug is, imo the best aug in the game, hands down....it's amazingly nice for an augment, it should be harder than hell to get and not everyone should have one, just like not everyone should have MK loot. I think having it drop on the tier it drops on is excellent, as it trains lower tier guilds in their target tracking discipline (lol)...How many tier 3 guilds have sat on a tracker mashing track on a box for half a day or sat in a wing waiting on a spawn for several hours to make sure they lock it down? You want in on the farhag/thaz loot pinata, better get used to doing so. Another advantage to having the mobs at that tier drop the aug is you can bribe ringers to get all kinds of help gearing up your guild by letting them have a roll on/claiming the head...which again, provokes mixed feelings, but in the end, you still have shinies, nomnomnom

Last edited:
Competing for targets is part of the raid game, for better or worse. It would be nice and cuddly if every toon on the server could be tier 11 within a year or two, but then again, what fun would that be? The dragon/giant aug is, imo the best aug in the game, hands down....it's amazingly nice for an augment, it should be harder than hell to get and not everyone should have one, just like not everyone should have MK loot. I think having it drop on the tier it drops on is excellent, as it trains lower tier guilds in their target tracking discipline (lol)...How many tier 3 guilds have sat on a tracker mashing track on a box for half a day or sat in a wing waiting on a spawn for several hours to make sure they lock it down? You want in on the farhag/thaz loot pinata, better get used to doing so. Another advantage to having the mobs at that tier drop the aug is you can bribe ringers to get all kinds of help gearing up your guild by letting them have a roll on/claiming the head...which again, provokes mixed feelings, but in the end, you still have shinies, nomnomnom

Going to politely disagree with most of what you said :) I Fully argee with your statment about tier 11, but also point out not everyone wants to be Tier 11 ether.

Last edited:
I have a great deal of sympathy for the point being made here.

Recently took down Frost King with a party of 3 boxed toons plus a level 62 alt that included tanking an add on pull. Also was in a party of 6 that took down temptress and duoed a raid tier 1 named by accident while farming heads.

None of these were tracked but for King it was, guildie is farming heads, hey King is up, who is on? get your asses down to StormKeep, 30 mins later trail of dead bodies leading to dead King. Point is that almost any 3 or 4 people on from our Guild can kill King, if necessary by botting tank and healer so we can kill King almost any time of day with whoever is on within 30 mins. Now if this had been a lower tier Guild, hey King is up, 8-10 toons on nope not enough and by the time enough on to kill, King is dead.

There is a real issue on the server of higher tiered Guilds being able to group lower raid tier mobs for augs and quest items. At any time there will be 20+ toons doing high level Vah, PoLore etcetera and the competition is intense. Result is that lower tiered Guilds have to get 10-18 people on to raid and half the time they manage this there aren't any targets. Nothing turns off people more than turning up to a raid and having nothing to do.

The trouble is that the more quest items that are put on lower raid tier mobs and higher nameds the worse this becomes.

I don't pretend to have a solution but Devs do need to balance the need to challenge the hard core players with providing the more casual players with an enjoyable experience. I am not suggesting that we make things easy for new raiding guilds just that there is enough content to give them a reasonable chance of progressing.

And the fact that some guilds want to have more options than picking up one or several ringers and give them loot they would use to be able to have a chance to compete. This means they'll have to do the same if/when they get to end game since they didn't get a chance to get it on the right tier while they still did the encounters. This game isn't only about "getting shinies" and reducing SoD to this makes me feel of how Live turned out after Velious. Wich sucked.

This augment was designed to be end game when it was created. Surprisingly enough, it is still. This causes serious problems since players that are in the actual end game go back to entry level raiding and kill things that they wouldn't otherwise; so the players on tier have to compete with other on tier people + higher tiered ones.

While it's been like this forever, it doesn't mean it isn't wrong; and it promises to only get worse until the on tier players don't see these mobs anymore at all. This is already the case on Stormking, and shouldn't be too long on Empress.
"Back in the days" about 1.5 years ago, the lifespan of Storm King was about 5 hours with sometimes less, sometimes more. It was already fierce but we had a chance. Now I bet it's under 1 hr. It's almost impossible unless you are extremely well organized to get 18 people together in less than 30 mins (entry level raiding means you don't have all the porting facilities, the gate necks, the spells etc). If they have to compete with a single group of tier 8+ people, I'd say it's impossible. I'm glad I got my king's BP bythen, nowadays it would be impossible the way we did it.

I'm probably not the only one thinking that a good bit of the game is about the fun of taking down things that are relatively hard and working as a team. "Get the loot handed down if they feel like it, or get nothing" doesn't seem like a solution to me. And "it's been like this forever" isn't a good reason either. It doesn't mean an easy solution can be found, but seeing arguments as to how this is ok strikes me.

It would be nice and cuddly if every toon on the server could be tier 11 within a year or two, but then again, what fun would that be?
I have read this a few times and I still don't understand your point. One would think that you want the aug to be difficult to attain and rare. But that goal seems to be contrary to having it in a relatively easy raid zone. One would think that if you want it difficult to attain, the last drop would be in a harder raid zone. Or am I missing your point entirely?

I think having it drop on the tier it drops on is excellent, as it trains lower tier guilds in their target tracking discipline (lol)...How many tier 3 guilds have sat on a tracker mashing track on a box for half a day or sat in a wing waiting on a spawn for several hours to make sure they lock it down?
I am not sure how serious this comment is since you included a "lol". I see the point of some competition of raid targets. That is, one should not be be able to kill whatever target they want at will. But this kind of competition only benefits the cut-throat play style in my opinion. The whole locking down of targets for months at a time does not benefit the server in my opinion. And this is exponentially true of locking down a target that is trivial for all loots except for one quest drop.

The whole locking down of targets for months at a time does not benefit the server in my opinion. And this is exponentially true of locking down a target that is trivial for all loots except for one quest drop.

I'm not going to lie to you and pretend I read this entire thread, or that I particularly care what happens with the King's head or Rymaz's spawn cycle, but I will pose a question.

What exactly makes you think high end players that kill Rymaz have any less of a right to the target than on-tier players?

There are far from a shortage of raid targets available on a daily basis for everyone on the server.

This question is only magnified when the very reason this thread's complaint exists is because of, and only because of, the Head. A quest that yields an Augment for all players who pursue the target.

If you somehow think that even a progressing on tier guild would stay at the same target 18 times in a row, to get a head for every single member of their raid, and never have to go back for him ever again in the entire lifespan of their guild you are either woefully ignorant to the basics of progression or magnificently stupid.

If you believe the quest drop should be moved to Dergalak (and removed from Rymaz), I feel that is a reasonable and acceptable change in comparison with the difficulty of the two faction alignment zones.

What you need to understand, realize, and quit implying is that this thread is anything more than "QQ high end people kill rymaz for an aug and I want an aug."

No one kills Rymaz for his sub-par gear and beyond the exceptionally rare tank Breast Plate he can be skipped entirely.

Your insinuations that all high end players rot the loot off of King Rymaz when they kill him (which is not always the case) are rendered moot when it is so clearly obvious that the only item anyone cares about is the head.

I would hardly call Group A of players and Group B of players wanting to kill the same mob for the same quest drop, and both benefiting equally from it "a serious problem."

and while this reply isn't directed at anyone specifically, my eyes and brain would appreciate if you'd all realize sooner, rather than later, that whichever mob you put this on is going to be highly contested by everyone on the server, not just high levels, and surely not reserved just for progressing guilds. That it will die the day it spawns no matter where you put it, that players will always want the aug, and that other players who don't have the aug will always complain about how sad of a story never finding the mob alive is, and there is simply no getting around that.

The congestion around two targets will never go away as long as the two targets continue dropping (one of) the best augments in the game. If you shift the quest drop to a harder mob, the congestion will shift as well, but the harder the mob you place the item, the fewer players will have the capability of downing it.

EDIT: I had to edit this in before you paint eating drool monkeys jump on me and say "but cinn! cinn! you're wrong! if you'd just add a *'d version of King Rymaz Sunbane we'd all live happily ever after and frolic off into our instanced zone of Terrible Idea Forest!"

So unless you want to be the muppet prince of Terrible Idea Forest, I'd suggest you just let that suggestion leave your mind completely.

Last edited:
No one kills Rymaz for his sub-par gear and beyond the exceptionally rare tank Breast Plate he can be skipped entirely.

Your insinuations that all high end players rot the loot off of King Rymaz when they kill him (which is not always the case) are rendered moot when it is so clearly obvious that the only item anyone cares about is the head.

So which is it? Because if his gear is not worth it for on tier people I see no reason why high end players that kill him would then loot his items when they can clearly get better. So if it is the case that high end players sometimes take loot off of the King, the rest of your post is moot, as you yourself described the whole argument. His loot must be worthwhile for people on tier, and therefore it is unfair to have people who can take him with 3 people IRL keeping him down when people of the appropriate tier want to go after this target.

So which is it? Because if his gear is not worth it for on tier people I see no reason why high end players that kill him would then loot his items when they can clearly get better. So if it is the case that high end players sometimes take loot off of the King, the rest of your post is moot, as you yourself described the whole argument. His loot must be worthwhile for people on tier, and therefore it is unfair to have people who can take him with 3 people IRL keeping him down when people of the appropriate tier want to go after this target.

Check this out.

When you kill a mob.

And that mob drops items that are going to rot (still with me?)

You sometimes bring alts to loot gear that would otherwise rot (STARTLING REVELATION)

But this loot that the scummy level 65. 2000hp, 1500 mana alts just looted, is not vital in any way to guild progression.

If your mains looted the items off Rymaz it wouldn't be vital to guild progression.

There are now drop-able items that are now better than his current gear along with a plethora of other equal raid targets to pick and choose from.

But the best part about what I just typed above just for you, is that none of it matters. Because the only actual item off Rymaz that matters is the head.

Let's say you were in a car, and you came to an eight-way split in the road. Road 2 is blocked, but the other 7 roads are perfectly clear and shining in majestic white light and are paved with pristine stone chiseled from the jaws of angels. The other 7 roads would take the exact same amount of time for you to get to your house, but you are very upset about not being able to take road 2 and decide that a grave injustice has been dealt.

This is what is happening in this thread, and I hate you for making me explain what I already just spent an entire page explaining.

Last edited:
I agree with cinn for once!

Also it is not that hard to get this spawn. When i first came back to the server i had to go through and get all the new augs available (this being one of them) i had them all within a week and a half.

Think the point being made (by some) is that most of the time, higher tiers are just clearing for an aug.
While some lower tiers could actually use the gear from king (even if he can be skipped entirely).
Moving the head to Dergalek has my vote. Higher tiers still have their rights to clear Frost King, but at least they won't be killing him solely for an aug anymore.
The aug IS awesome, it SHOULD be on the same tier as the Empress one now though.

A note on the Cut-throat play style.....I can understand its key if you want to get to tiers 8+ but I have to admit, it reallllly sucks when you're tier 1-3 and still can't find decent targets on your level. Its always been this way, but it still feels lame for anyone trying to break into raiding.
No real fixes for this one I guess, except to remove loot higher tiers want from these lowbies ones (Relics for example).

Last edited:
Tbh, I've seen more of these threads than I can shake a 17 dmg stick at...and they all seem to boil down to the same thing. "OMG I WANT ______ SHINY! And the (hardcore/high tier/cookiemonster) always takes it and I don't have it! I want what they have!"

In total agreement with Cinn on this one, saying that killing a mob for a drop isn't fair because you want to kill the mob for a drop is just kinda....oh hell pick a word, idc...you want the mob, you log in trackers, you set spawn timers, and you get the zone/wing claimed and sit and wait and play dungeon crawl until the mob pops, then you kill the mob, nomnom the loot, and lie to everyone you can about when it spawned/died so THEY can't put it on THEY'RE spawn timers and then THEY can make posts crying about YOU locking down an ENTIRE RAID ENCOUNTER and depriving them of all the joy they may ever know.

You want my shinies? DO YA? Get a job like mine that lets you play video games all day sir. You can't show up to work 2 hours a day and expect a full day's pay, and you can't log on for 2 hours a week and expect to get all dem poke`mons, sorry...you think getting a giant/faction aug's bad, wait til you're hunting down elabs.

Also, as pointed out already, moving the aug to another mob will mean that mob will replace Rymaz on the hitlist. Truth be told, I would bet there are FEWER pieces of gear rotting on a corpse when the higher tier kills the mob than when a progressing guild does it anyway. Monsters, all of you!

Last edited:
Dergalek would take a lot more clearing + a key as opposed to Lol' rolling some guards with Frost king.
Empress aug requires clearing harder mobs up to her, why not the giant kill aug?

This isn't about Parcelan or other highly bottle necked mobs.
Frost king aug really should be coming from a tier similar to Empress given its just as awesome.
This DOES move problem A to Problem B, but at least it puts it in line with what Dragon killers have to do to get an aug.
You're deluding yourself if you think Frost King is just as hard and time consuming to get to and kill as Empress is.
If theres fewer pieces of loot rotting, thats better than almost all the pieces.
Its not unreasonable to move the head, its unreasonable to add even more means to get it.

Please stop ridiculing every single person who is making a suggestion/request. It just leads to flaming and shitting up a thread, which destroys the entire point of a thread (thats what chillville is for). I don't agree with all the suggestions, but saying "Lol, thats the way it is, deal with it newb" ALL the time isn't gonna get you any brownie points.

Last edited:
I think the real question is why the king drops the head and not dergalak.

This. Only this.

Your suggestion would basically lead to one of the best augs in the game becoming accessible by everyone anytime. That won't happen.

Dear devs,
Everycaster on the server would like to recieve a hellcall but everytime mk drops one the loot rots. This is a tragedy and a terrible waste of loot. The casters of dalaya are being robbed. Please make an easier alternative with the same loot so i can get in on this action without putting in the same type of effort as everyone else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom