The 2.5 Bug List

i keep praying for a fix for filters and spell emotes. two of my biggest annoyances

but a question - does it take anyone else like 4 minutes to get into game now instead of like 45 seconds like old client? curious if its something on my end or not.

yea it takes my baller computer a lot longer now. my laptop from 2006 loads it at the same pace, super slow.

There is some issue with client. It will freeze other programs during load, or just out right crash them. Cant adjust Windows volume during load, if your push to talk is down when a load starts it remains on for duration of load. I've had Firefox crash during loads, path of exile crash during loads

There is some issue with client. It will freeze other programs during load, or just out right crash them. Cant adjust Windows volume during load, if your push to talk is down when a load starts it remains on for duration of load...

This happens to me and others as well. I use Windows 10 which may be part of the problem.

Just for comparison, I'm using a crap laptop running Ubuntu 16.04 -- first box loads in 1 minute 10 seconds, second box loads in 1 minute 52 seconds -- while running other programs and tab alting around. Haven't experienced any crashes during load.

For those wanting hard numbers to compare our abysmal loading times vs. those of P99, P2002, and EQ Live, these figures might put things into perspective:

Server Select > Char Select
Shards of Dalaya - 36s
Project 1999 - 22.5s
Project 2002 - 11s
EQ Live - 20.5s

North Newport/Qeynos > South Newport/Qeynos
Shards of Dalaya (Single Boxing)
Level 1 Char, No Items Whatsoever - 18s
Level 1 Char, Starter Items - 21s
Level 1 Char, Naked w/ 8 Empty Bags - 20.5s
Level 1 Char, Naked w/ 8 Bags (80 Torches) - 25s
Level 1 Char, Dual Wielding Lanterns, Full Cloth Armor w/ 8 Bags (80 Torches) - 23.5s
Level 1 Char, Dual Wielding Lanterns, Full Cloth Armor w/ 8 Bags (80 Torches), 24 Banked Bags (240 Torches) - 33.5s
Grinkles - 37s
Project 1999 (Single Boxing)
Level 1 Char, Starter Items - 14.5s
Project 2002 (Triple Boxing)
Level 1 Char, Starter Items - 8s
Level 30 Char, Fully Geared w/ 8 Bags (Roughly Half Full) - 8s
EQ Live (Single Boxing)
Level 45 Char, Fully Geared w/ 8 Bags (Mostly Full) - 11.5s

Whatever backend hocus pocus goes on during the loading process, it would appear SoD is highly inefficient compared to all the competition. Maybe there is a memory leak at play. Maybe our server's heavy reliance on modified _chr.txt files is partly to blame (e.g. elephants and skunks and rabbits having to load in every single zone for BST pets to show up properly). Maybe the SoD code is so inconsistent and full of improvised gobbledygook that we're forever doomed to embarrassingly sluggish loading times. :rolleyes:

I'm hoping something can be done about it in the future, but it's understandably a low priority for the time being...

yeah i recall even with old client that the more items you had in the bank and in inventory ect would increase load time a bit.

Its highly possible new client is suffering even more from it than the old

I'm not sure why the filters aren't persisting on zoning. Might look at that more later.

I fixed focus effects to actually use the focus effects filter. It was being filtered to Spells->Mine (as Ovisha mentioned). Are there any other of those filters that are just wrong like focus effects? These should be super easy fixes I just need someone to point them out to me.

Next thing I want to take on is seeing why the cast on message aren't being displayed.

Next thing I want to take on is seeing why the cast on message aren't being displayed.

One thought i had on this (likely wrong but i dont know the intricacies of SoD) was that somehow the new client doesnt like the spells_us.txt file or one of the other spell related files that would handle such things. Doubt it but i have no other ideas at the moment.

Another small (Probably easy) thing to do is fix the weapon models that don't work in 2.5, be that making them work again(idk if you can force it to display a 2h model in 1h) or just changing them to something new entirely. Would be awesome to not be swinging air at a mob.

Another small (Probably easy) thing to do is fix the weapon models that don't work in 2.5, be that making them work again(idk if you can force it to display a 2h model in 1h) or just changing them to something new entirely. Would be awesome to not be swinging air at a mob.
This may well be a client bug, but it might stem from modified and/or missing .s3d files. Are you missing any of the following, or have you modified them at some point?
  • gequip.s3d
  • gequip2.s3d
  • gequip3.s3d
  • gequip4.s3d
  • gequip5.s3d
  • gequip6.s3d
  • gequip8.s3d
I've not noticed any missing weapon models on my end. The only instance I can think of that causes some later expansion era weapons not to show properly is one of the methods used to restore classic skeletons. Perhaps you did that and ended up with some broken weapons?

==========
While we're on the topic, the only item appearance change I've noticed between 2.0 and 2.5 is that a couple item icons are different, and I'm 99% sure it was a mistake by the SOE devs way back when.

Here's what the icon table in dragitem27.tga used to look like in 2.0:
Wand%20Icon%20Bug%20Old_zpsxhprhux1.jpg

And here's what it looks like in 2.5:
Wand%20Icon%20Bug%20New_zps4pypc0u5.jpg

Not only did the SOE developers inexplicably lose a chunk of the stone near the top left (a.k.a. Rock Lump, Galena Ore, etc.), but they even completely overwrote the one icon that should've been most important to them -- the wand icon that was made specially for their first ever anniversary event reward back in 2004! :eek:

That wand icon used to have an ID number of 1462 and was only ever used by one item in SoD: Wand of the High Researcher. However, even the wiki image database and Fomelo now show the goofy rock thing instead of the intended wand.

I may end up sharing a fix for this in the coming days, as I think it should be a relatively easy task. That rock/runestone icon doesn't serve any purpose in SoD anyway.

Are the rune shells / masks from the Halloween quest meant to still be on the global loot table? If not, is it an easy fix to take them out? Asking for a friend who likes to speed loot.

@Grinkles It could be im still using the same eq directory ive used for my entire life on sod, i'll try patching a fresh underfoot extract.

Edit: Just for reference the 2 weapon models that are MIA i've noticed are Custo sword and Bane of the Fallen God

Edit 2: Did that it worked dunno what happened.

Last edited:
Are the rune shells / masks from the Halloween quest meant to still be on the global loot table? If not, is it an easy fix to take them out? Asking for a friend who likes to speed loot.

I hope this is addressed in one of the next patches. Not only does it clutter loot tables, but it gives the impression that server development has been at a standstill since Halloween! :eek:

@Grinkles It could be im still using the same eq directory ive used for my entire life on sod, i'll try patching a fresh underfoot extract.

Edit: Just for reference the 2 weapon models that are MIA i've noticed are Custo sword and Bane of the Fallen God

Edit 2: Did that it worked dunno what happened.
Glad to hear it. It was definitely a corrupted .s3d on your end. You should've spoken up sooner. You've been doing the Dalayan equivalent of air guitar for over a year when the fix was right at your fingertips! :p

==========
Regarding the corrupted item icons I mentioned a couple posts ago, I've shared a simple fix here for those interested.

There has been server development since Halloween. Not as much as we all want, but it's been there. Though, even if there was literally zero improvement I still wouldn't want to give that impression or we'd be less likely to attract more players.

Rymy is a great dev but the problem is that he can't fix and improve everything he wants without permission from the higher ups and the higher ups don't seem to care about the server anymore which is why progress is slow. To be honest this game is dead unless it gets a new management team.

Woldoff should really give the database and source code to someone who wants to manage and support the server and im not just talking about the server upkeep but staff recruiting, server advertisement and server development.

Things are actually getting better. 1 thing that hasn't been made clear to the player base that probably should have was from the 2.0 -> 2.5 transition there was a major hardware change to the server along with it a platform change in the hosting OS. This has made transferring GM stuff / access stuff complicated as a lot of the previous stuff was OS-specific. Jumbers said he's going to try to make this a priority though. Then hopefully active devs.... will have more power, as well as a GM presence in the US time zone (at least some of the time) that has been lacking.

I haven't forgot about making raids great again (still currently blocked) or making spell cast messages work again, but in other news, I'm about 75% done with a new class tome that I have approval on and it looks pretty fun. I'll give a hint, 1 of these suggestions. I actually had the idea before I read it in that thread, but just a teaser ;)

Hey Rymy, is it possible to fix worn effects, eg acumen on items?
They do? There's a client bug with see invis & movement speed worn effects not working for worn effects, everything else worn should be working as far as I know unless someone has proven that wrong.

Back
Top Bottom