Sunken Cathedral: bugs and feedback thread

fuwok

Developer
Staff member
Sunken Cathedral is Shards of Dalaya's second original geometry zone. Great riches and the thrill of exploration await you within.

Please post bugs and feedback on Sunken Cathedral in this thread, or take them up with me directly. Thank you.

If someone wants to make a map for the zone, we need one. A good user submission will become the official map.

Here is a teaser preview (the zone is not yet open, so don't waste time looking for the zone-in yet).

furniture.png

sludge.png

moldy.png

rubbish.png

bunkbeds.png

I tried hailing my consumerist coyote and he didn't let me in I would like to report this. Thanks.

Is this zone supposed to be a 6-man raid encounter (ie with bosses, loots, and raid restrictions)? Or is it supposed to be a dungeon zone designed for groups of six (ie citadel, first ruins)?

Is this zone supposed to be a 6-man raid encounter (ie with bosses, loots, and raid restrictions)? Or is it supposed to be a dungeon zone designed for groups of six (ie citadel, first ruins)?
It is a dungeon designed for groups of 6. If it needs 6 man raid rules, it will get them, but I envision it primarily as an xp zone.

Hey fuwok what program do you guys build these original zone architectures in?
Fuwok's workflow is a little different from mine, but it's generally a messy process of juggling a bunch of unrelated programs, most of which were never intended for this purpose:
  • Something for 3D modeling
    • Program(s): 3DS Max, Blender, etc.
  • Something for texture editing
    • Program(s): Photoshop, Gimp, etc.
  • An EQ-specific utility for importing/exporting textures to/from EverQuest's .s3d and .eqg files
    • Program(s): S3DSpy or Zaela's EQGExport
  • An EQ-specific utillity for viewing/exporting EverQuest's native 3D models within .s3d files
    • Program(s): EQModelViewer
    • This utility isn't strictly necessary, but it saves on time. It also helps maintain the EverQuest aesthetic, because you can "borrow" existing assets like, say, the big tower in the middle of The Oasis, which can then be imported to your new zone. For added flair, you can re-orient, resize, and/or retexture these objects to give them a new look while retaining the distinct wireframe that EQ players will recognize.
  • An EQ-specific utility for importing 3D assets and compiling it all into a working .eqg file that EverQuest will recognize and render
    • Program(s): Zaela's EQG Zone Importer
    • This program also handles this stuff:
      • Creating special regions for things like water, lava, and lightsources
      • Applying transparencies for things like leaves and glass
      • Setting collision ("permeability") for things players should be able to pass through, such as bushes, leaves, and false walls
There are probably a couple of other programs I'm forgetting, but these ^ are the meat and potatoes of zone creation.

I think it’s great that you guys are able to cobble that all together to make brand new content.

I’d love to see a video fly through of these new zones, since I don’t play anymore and likely won’t ever get to see them in game.

Hey fuwok what program do you guys build these original zone architectures in?
Grinkles laid it out pretty well. We have two different ways of arriving at the same place, my way also involves much more swearing. I use blender, he uses 3dsmax. We both use all those tools up there. It's time consuming and arcane, but it is very rewarding to see something new and yet old feeling at the same time.

How do we unsink the cathedral to play?
bilge-pump-basics-for-a-boat.png

This is live now.

Fixed bugs with named mobs spawning - should work normally henceforth.

• Improved Quest NPC behavior.
  • Wax Fruit increased from snack to meal. (requires patch)
  • Unfeeling Alkahest behavior improved.

• Aggregate fungi hopefully will no longer fall under the world.
  • A quest reward received a bug fix. (requires patch)
  • Tunnel mushroom add spawn frequency reduced.

Last edited:
Here is my feedback just on a little bit of grinding there today, without giving too much info away:
- Plat/hr. is good for 6 players.
- I like the way named are spawned.
- The respawn timers on mobs are nice. Makes it so you're not required to full clear the zone and can stick to a preferred side.
- Small in-zone quests with minor lore are cool like this one. I wish more exp dungeons had this option, even if the rewards were just zone specific or something temporary/cool.

My only gripe is that there are like ~30+ unique items that can drop collectively from everything in the zone. Many of these do not stack. It's probably the most bag-consuming zone in the game in its current state, so some type of solution to this would be awesome. Not sure if limiting the amt. of items things can drop is the way to go since it's the main source of profit in there, but maybe something along the lines of allowing coyote unlimited spawns, wherever you are would be sweet. I'm imagining gems are on some type of global loot pool, but honestly getting rid of any vendor sold gems (Onyx, Malachite, etc.) would be widely appreciated I'm sure. Or possibly getting rid of droppable stuff like "Star Ruby Earring" or "Ruby Crown" and just going with something stackable would help immensely.

If there already is a solution I've mentioned and I just haven't gotten that far yet, I will happily shut up.

Unrelated note: do spells have to even drop in-game anymore? I feel like they're just clutter now that you can buy any spell from a vendor and are easily destroyed in place of a stackable gem or something with potential to quickly match its price in your bag. Again, probably on some global loot pool related to mob level like gems and what not but just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom