Starting brand spanking new on SoD

RedSlave

Dalayan Beginner
So my buddy and I decided to roll up on Shards - he's playing a SK and I'm boxing a cleric and an enchanter.

I've looked through the wiki and what not, but what are some of things you wish you knew when you first started SoD? We're veterans of EQ from the PoP era, but obviously we've been out of the loop for a decade or so.

(Also, I can't seem to zone into the Mansion of Portals. I talked to the Wizard dude and got flagged, but no dice.)

If you're looking for full progression, you should look into doing all of the adepts. These have level caps so make sure to do them before you level up too fast.
Otherwise, grind out your Main Quest as you go along and the rest will come eventually.

Don't be afraid to experience lock and enjoy every dungeon in your level range.

/cmd explock [1/0]

I heard there are two dungeons you cannot enter past a certain level. Cesspits at 29, and Runnyeye Citadel at 50.

Also, i believe there are two adept quests you cannot complete past a certain level. (Treant adept healing neck and mielech frog adept?)

Can someone confirm this?

Don't be afraid to experience lock and enjoy every dungeon in your level range.

/cmd explock [1/0]

I heard there are two dungeons you cannot enter past a certain level. Cesspits at 29, and Runnyeye Citadel at 50.

Also, i believe there are two adept quests you cannot complete past a certain level. (Treant adept healing neck and mielech frog adept?)

Can someone confirm this?
Cesspits is an amazing place for young players to find great exp and usable gear. It is level capped at 29, so get there before then to grab all the gear you want. I think I remember going there at lvl 10 and being able to stay there for great exp past lvl 20.

Both quests that were mentioned are awesome and should be seriously (required) considered. They provide gear that you will find very hard to replace for a long long time (quests linked below).

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Leaking_Undead_-_Part_I
http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Instrument_of_Vengeance_-_Part_I

Very cool, thank you. Looks like I have plenty of time to worry about those ones. We're only level 12 so far. But we took down the Beetle Queen and the uh... Giant Spider in the Greenmist!

Very cool, thank you. Looks like I have plenty of time to worry about those ones. We're only level 12 so far. But we took down the Beetle Queen and the uh... Giant Spider in the Greenmist!
A couple other recommendations:
  • Put the names (or links to fomelo) of your characters in your signature here; the community dotes on new players.
  • The wiki is great
  • Don't rush to max level
  • Have your friend box a toon. Everyone gets the same exp, regardless of group size. Even if the toon sits at the zone line just to soak up some exp. You will be thankful down the road when you have some extra buffs (and maybe ports) or a rogue to lockpick treasure chests.

I recommend checking out this post from a year ago for a "best of" list of lowbie quests spanning every class. It may help shape you and your friend's decisions as you level up (or when you inevitably succumb to the urge to roll alts). Good luck and welcome aboard, @RedSlave. :)

Back
Top Bottom