Star Wars: The Old Republic

Actually played this weekend.

Great combat. Really story driven. Smooth graphics.

Definitely going to be competitive/better than wow overall.

All the quests feature fully voiceover'd dialog, with various responses, dark side/light side choices which alter your character. Combat is super active, with no autoattack, at least on the two classes I tried. Not sure how healing works, but I've heard good things.

I preordered after a weekend of playing.

Have you played Rift Faelus? I am wondering how it compares to that, combat wise especially.

I loooooooooooooooooved Rift. My only problem with these modern MMO's is that they just don't have all that much content, and what they do have is mostly very grindy in the 'end game'. SoD is pretty old looking and old combat and stuff, but at least it's bursting with content. So yeah my main concern about SWTOR is that I will have the Rift experience again. A month of falling in love with the game, and then it ends :/

Broken hearts hurt likkle robots :/

I played some Rift beta. It essentially felt exactly like WoW to me, and I never stayed interested at all.

As of yesterday, they added level 50 versions of all the "dungeons" you can do leveling up, 2 operations (raids), and a bunch more content is supposedly coming for release, so that's pretty good. And the dungeons are 4 char groups, while operations are currently 8 chars. So it'll be easier to find groups and raids. In addition, with all the dungeons I ran over the weekend, it feels like, at least in the leveling dungeon, that loot drops based on the classes you have in the group, so you don't get garbage blasters if you have a group with 4 jedi, or something like that. Then you're able to remove the mods from weapons and place them in other weapons, which is going to make operation loot less rotty too.

I have some pretty high hopes so far, even though there seems to be way less hype than Rift had.

Also a lot of sites are streaming now, if you want to watch.

And I just found out there's a plan for some sort of "Legacy" system, where at level 50, you're given the ability to unlock new races and such, but I haven't found any real details on that.

Hey Faelus, what class did you play? I've been reading more about this game. I reckon I might give it a try, depending on my mood. If it's anything like Rift, it will only last for about a month, but it will still be a pretty fun experience. I am mainly waiting for Guild Wars 2, but this could tide me over. Just wish I wasn't so broke.

I've only had access to the 2 open weekends. First one I played Sith Inquisitor, Assassin ac, til 25. For the more recent one, I did a Bounty Hunter Merc to 15, and an Imperial Agent Operative to 32.

Which ones did you like? I read that some of the classes are pretty boring to play, but some of them are incredibly fun.

I think I'm doing an assassin come release.

So far, I can't really say any class has been "boring". The stories vary greatly, and some of those are a bit lame, but as for the actual gameplay, of the 3/4 classes I've tried, they're all pretty fun.

Basically, another cool thing, hybrid specing actually works in TOR. An Operative or Mercenary can spec part dps part healing and be reasonably effective with both, especially in group encounters and pvp. So that seems to add another cool aspect to it.

Overall, I'm really surprised by this game, and hoping they can manage to keep the content coming more so than wow at release.

Cool :) Well I am surprised too. I have read some really positive stuff about it in the last few weeks, and I think it's bound to be popular thanks to the big name. If it can keep those people more than a few months, then it has a real chance to be the first huge game since WoW ;o

Back
Top Bottom