Stagnation at 35ish

Efeu

Dalayan Beginner
Ive been playing EQ (and now SoD) on and off for nearly 10 years now. I've played so many different characters, hybrids, wis casters, int casters, soloers and group based. But i can never get a character to level 40. Somewhere around that level things start changing and nearly every time i lose interest. Whats my problem? What am i not seeing? Things suddenly get uber and too gear based and im at a loss.

Ive been playing EQ (and now SoD) on and off for nearly 10 years now. I've played so many different characters, hybrids, wis casters, int casters, soloers and group based. But i can never get a character to level 40. Somewhere around that level things start changing and nearly every time i lose interest. Whats my problem? What am i not seeing? Things suddenly get uber and too gear based and im at a loss.

I had this same problem with my first 2 characters. Solution? Play some, get some money, twink out a character to a low degree, then start playing that one. It's very easy nowadays to do so, far easier than it was when I was doing it due to market prices being through the floor for a good variety of great twink gear.

Doing that, I ended up with Aisling.

It could be that you are seeking a different satisfaction from the game than the high end content offers. Low end is superbly fun, solable easily and adventurous. At the high end, it can be a bit like a treadmill and only a TON of running will get you anywhere. IE you like that fast and fun pleasure rewards VS the big time sink for them.

Well to be fair, the high-end isn't all like that. You really can progress a truly ludicrous amount of time in a day, just depends on the day.

2 boxing if your computer is capable of doing it with a power duo can also leed to good loot. My box duo is a chanter/druid so its pretty powerful with charm and I can camp names as learn as i learn the technique to each spot. Like some even with lull or pacify you will get 2-3 and which ones are immune to charm/casters and such.

I basically level up a few lvls in a group then go to wiki and find gear that i can camp to get. I am very broke but I rather camp names and exp then buy my gear.

I would think lvling in the 40s would be alot easier then in the 20s since you can go to all the other low lvl zones and farm gear for you easier. Granted it might not be the twinked gear you are after but I am sure it will be good enough till you higher lvl and replace it.

For instance i am only mid 20s and i found a nice little named camp I hit everyday since the 2 camps are close and they spawn pretty common, plus there loot is sells for 16plat and at my lvl i get 2k+ exp with the 55% exp mod in that zone.

I had the same problem in EQLive. I don't know about you, but I know exactly what the problem was for me.

Low levels:
Spend an hour at the newbie log in Nektulos killing wolves, beetles, spiders, and decaying skeletons
Spend an hour at the Pyramid in Nektulos killing decaying skeletons, skeletons, and the occasional zombie and bigger snakes that wonder too close.
Spend an hour at the Monolith in Nektulos killing skeletons, zombies, mummies, and the occasional giant spider, tree snake, or bear that wanders too close.
Spend an hour or 2 at small Orc camp in EC killing orcs.
Spend 2 - 3 hours at the big Orc camp in EC killing orcs.
Spend a couple hours at the small Dervish camp in NRo killing dervishes
Spend a couple hours at the big Dervish camp in NRo killing dervishes
Spend a couple hours at the beach in Oasis killing snakes, pumas, caimans, crocodilles, bigger beetles, and dry bones skeletons.
Spend a couple hours at the Orc Highway in Oasis killing different Orcs.

When you get up higher, like level 32-40...
Sit on your ass on the edge of OT while 1 player goes out to pull 1 random mob at a time and your group kills it. And repeat this over and over and over for hours upon hours at a time.

For me the problem was that the game suddenly became extremely repetitive and boring.

At the lower levels you and your group had to find a camp and split it up and kill things as they spawn, some times you can barely even keep up with it. It was actually fun. But it is quite a bit more dangerous. At higher levels the experience penalty for dying was far too great nobody was willing to take the risk so everyone played the game so friggen boring just sitting on the edge of the zone pulling 1 mob at a time. That is what always made me lose interest in the game. My highest level character was... somewhere between 44 and 46...

on live there was lots of good places to lvl and find loot on those lvls. Here are some i remember. The hopper cave in downshroud. The geos in crystal. The hole, The cyclops in ocean of tears, Temple of Droga, Karnors Castle, Velks Lab, Acryalia Caverns. Well basically where ever the hot zone was at the time. Plus finding a guild that has a decent amount of people in it around the same lvl helps alot.

Im happy to say, SoD is better than EQ live and I've found myself enjoying my teams again. Sure we over camp Robots in Highland - but ehhhy we can also go run over to the goblins or hit paw or whatever. Its not so bad. Killed an Adapt a few weeks ago...

If you are having trouble keeping interested maybe you should explore some new areas. There are lots of good xp spots in the upper 30s (which is where I'm guessing you are, you didn't say). I have done well in kaladim, mielech, runnyeye, yaralith, ebl, heartlands, paw and cauldron, just off the top of my head. Explore a few of those that you haven't tried yet, and take a group with if possible. There are also other places that I didn't think of, search for those too. There are also quests you can do, tmaps, you already mentioned adepts.

This style of MMO is based around a certain measure of grinding, but if you can find ways to incorporate some exploring, events and lore into that, as well as people to share it with, then it makes it more fun. Good hunting :D

Good advice triptoy. I would agree: what you described is what I started doing. Once, I was seeking things in the lowbie world (because I was all I knew, it was what I understood). Then I did an SoD equivalent of LSD and saw the brighter world. I learned to love again; I teamed and frolicked in new zones and played mp3s in the background.

ranger/ necro combo

My first character on SoD I decided to go cleric. How excited I was to find that Kaladim was mostly undead! Soloed there with my cleric till I ran into a brick wall on the mobs in upper Kaladim, damned priests could just about kill them but only was successfull if I tactifully ran them out of mana. Strangely unloading all my spells on them at first only did serve to run ME out of mana while they just continued to heal themselves from my onslaught.

Eventually got tired of how hard it is to kill something solo, and now I two box almost regularly, except when I just want to quest and not alt-tab my way thru my gaming. Just explore around, there are some great areas most don't know about!

Back
Top Bottom