Single Boxing

Bohh

Dalayan Beginner
Hey guys,

I've tried 2 boxing and I don't find it fun. I prefer to play 1 char at a time. However, I play funny hours sometimes so I'd like the possbility of soloing or grouping.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

two boxing can suck sometimes that is for sure. for your lvl I'd head to Halls of Miel....off of stinger's bog. Shouldn't have a problem finding people to group with.

Thank you. I currently have a monk and a cleric. But, I was thinking that maybe another class would be better suited? Would you think so too?

Classes that can cast root, or do enough dps that the fight is over very quickly. Necro, druid, shaman are all good ones. IMHO.

Play what you want to play....what you think is fun. Levels will come. but if you really want to solo and want a class to do so...then something other than cleric yeah.

The quintessential solo class is the necro. Good pet, good damage, FD and all that.

I haven't played a mage but I think they're just as viable in that regard, just not quite as versatile as the nec.

After that, I would think kiting classes, druids and wizzies. Shaman can also get great DPS with dots+pet after 34.

If you want a melee solo class, I would say monk is the top but a pal would be ok as well. No experience with BL's but I think they would be pretty viable.

Having played a BST to 65, Pally to mid 50's, and my friends monk a lot at 65 BL solo FAR better than the other 2. Maybe an exception for super geared monks/pallys, or if you are very twinked don have much experience with either.

1-64 the Pet is a great tank+dps, and the beastlord is a poor tank+dps. On most lower end lv65 stuff the pet can still tank fairly well, and the beastlord can use /s 7 and become a very decent tank as well. Not to mention he can heal the pet fairly well, much better than mage. Not sure what kind of pet heal necros get to compare those, of course they'd be great without a pet heh.

I also played a ~45ish necro on live and can tell you that they are much more versatile at soloing (where/what/how/etc) due to all the awesome utility they get. I would say anything a BST can solo, a NEC can solo it just as good or better.

Last edited:
If you want a melee solo class, I would say monk is the top but a pal would be ok as well. No experience with BL's but I think they would be pretty viable.

Soloing a melee class is doable, up to a point. You have to be careful, do more fighting close to a zone line or guard point, and be sure you /cm bind somehwere close, cause you're gonna die a lot. I soloed my warrior till about 35, just single pulling and going through med kits like a madman, BW between each fight, making sure I only took on DB and LB mobs. I had to go to every newbie area and do xp turn ins, did the miel-a turn ins, did the SI turn ins, and after I did the SBL liodreth and corrupted cent turn ins, I found I could not find any DB that I could really solo. Perhaps that plateau is higher with Monks or BL or what-have-you, but the general consensus that I have seen is that if you are melee, you will need to be in a group to gain xp waaaaay sooner than one of the rooting/heavy DPS caster classes.

To the game's credit, it is far more viable to solo a melee class here than it ever was in Live. So, to bring it back around to the original point of this thread, picking a class that can solo decently, I'd say just whatever is most fun for you. Just understand that some classes will "hit the wall" earlier than others. Which isn't entirely bad, you could start farming tradeskill stuff and work on mining, fishing, tailoring, etc. Those things will only help you in the long run.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. Now we may be getting into something that may not be possible - but what can solo when need be, but is still saught out for groups? When I think of a Nerco, I think that someone would rather have X class instead. Is that the case?

Best bet for having both is Bard. They are definitely needed for groups/maps/raids due to CC and amazing buffs.
Pretty much anything else mentioned (except druid) is going to fall into the "DPS" group which is needed, but probably more played. Druids are fairly good healers and probably needed as much as bards, but kinda depends on just who is LFG (or your guild later) at the time.

Also BST could solo very well on live as well =)
Early you can even play them like you are boxing a cleric+warrior because the pet and pet heal are that good at lower levels.

Last edited:
Thank you. I currently have a monk and a cleric. But, I was thinking that maybe another class would be better suited? Would you think so too?

no matter what class you choose, you may want to spend some time hitting up low-level farming for the mats used in higher level combines. Getting money for twinked damage makes soloing a disgusting amount easier. If you plan on playing any class that does weapon damage, finding a good weapon will make an enormous difference.

A Beastlord can solo 1-65 and beyond without that much trouble.

They are not gear dependant at all, and I'd say it's even possible to go practically naked and still take on things that others have problems with. They're extremely versatile and capable of handling multiple mobs at once if you know how.

Beastlord does solo well as a melee class.

Druids can live in the Plaguelands and easily snare kite; root rot in other zones and eventually DS solo. If you like to make alts once in a while, you cant beat Druid power-leveling. buffs and heal between pulls.

I do not have a high level Bard but have cursed at the bards cleaning out my zones and they are desirable in groups.

I found that I could solo my mage, but there was a lot of downtime. But with a little help from a healer out of group, it went very well. So if your system can allow you to have two toons up, it maybe a great idea to solo on the mage and only alt+tab to the healer between pulls to reduce downtime (and the occassional rez helps too :) ).

Honestly I like getting necros in my groups. They make a nice addition to my dru/bst and if I have a tank with me that increases my capabilities significantly. I do not think Necro is a bad group class with some CC, dps, ability to FD and even a buff I may want.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. Now we may be getting into something that may not be possible - but what can solo when need be, but is still saught out for groups? When I think of a Nerco, I think that someone would rather have X class instead. Is that the case?

Necros are excellent, excellent in groups both for their DPS and utility (DMF, dots, rooting/mezzing/pet-tanking adds). I love having necros in my groups.

Now, I haven't made it to higher levels in this game (slogging through the 40's on a couple toons) but I imagine like on live the necro stays quite viable both solo and in groups.

As for groups wanting other classes more, it seems to me (and keep in mind I'm only lvl 40ish) that when groups are looking for players, they're not terribly particular a lot of the time. You'll see things like Kaladim lf DPS, robots lf healer, blah blah lf tank. With some exceptions, multiple classes can fill those roles, so I can't see you getting a response like "nah, we'd rather have a wizzy" or something as a necro. Well, not often.

Last edited:
Play what you like is the good concensus, but some things to take note of.

If you like playing toons, or spend a good portion of your time goofing off rather than focus on one and grind it, I'd suggest starting out as a class that you can help buff/heal your toons through two boxing during slow times and/or downtime between fights. Shaman/Druid and to some extent Beastlords, is the optimal choice for players who prefer this method.

All can solo well, and each has their own perks to add to a group.

Shamans get Slow, Malo, a decent pet, best Stat buffs, decent heals, good dots and dd's

Druids get snare, damage shield, some HP buffs, good heals, decent dots and great dd's

Beastlords get the best pet, low shaman buffs, low heals, low slow, great melee

once you get one of these to high end, you can use them to speed things up your other characters.

Back
Top Bottom