Serious Debation Rumbletorium Arguedome 2007

my point was that 1/3 isn't completely .33333..., but its close enough for most practical applications, but in reality, 1/3 and .3333.... are not the same thing

Lacey_Lightfoot said:
my point was that 1/3 isn't completely .33333..., but its close enough for most practical applications, but in reality, 1/3 and .3333.... are not the same thing

Okay, let’s take this really slowly. What is 1 divided by 3?

Ellipsis in this context represents that the sequence 0.3333333333 goes on forever, which I sure you will agree is the correct answer to the question. By what criteria is this answer to the question less correct than the answer 1/3 would be?

Divide_by_zero.jpg

Einstein was the first recorded person to divide by 0.

I would like to add that it's probably wrong to try and convert 1/3 or into a decimal in the first place.

Say you have a pie. You cut said pie into 4 pieces for yourself and 3 friends. Converting that to a decimal is to say, "What if we were to cut the pie into one HUNDRED pieces, and then divide those pieces between us, how many would each of us get?" The answer is that each person, yourself included, would get 25 pieces, or .25 of the pie. This is WHY we say that .25 of 1 = 1/4.

If you repeat the experiment with only 2 friends over, you can easily divide the 1 pie into 3 pieces thus getting 1/3 of pie each. But for the love of the unholy, why would you say, "If we divide the pie into one hundred pieces, and then divide those pieces between us, how many would we get?" Not only that, but it's STILL impossible without dividing that last piece into thirds, thus why 1/3 = 33 and 1/3. So, pretending that slice is a whole pie and repeating, you get the same thing. Each person gets 33 AND 1/3 pieces of the piece of pie, plus the 33 pieces of the whole pie, (33.33) and then you STILL have a piece of a piece of a whole to divide between 3 people.

The logical human answer: Screw the damn crumb, eat it, throw it away, do something because I'm bored and THIS SUCKS.
Thus .3333333 x3 = 1, when it doesn't. Humans are lazy and they threw away the rest of the pie.

iaeolan said:
I don't find the divide by 0 thing so funny... It's a pretty weak internet fad

As with all lame internet fads it has found a home in chillville...I expect it to show up in /ooc next...

(see also: FTW, QFT, "IMA FIRIN MAH LAZARZ", animal pics with 'funny' quotes, and lame ass chuck norris jokes)

kukov said:
(see also: FTW, QFT, "IMA FIRIN MAH LAZARZ", animal pics with 'funny' quotes, and lame ass chuck norris jokes)

I am not sure if acronyms are fads or people just being lazy, but yeah.

kukov said:
As with all lame internet fads it has found a home in chillville...I expect it to show up in /ooc next...

i do not support this product and/or service

only a miserable true-communist scotsman would appeal to the people with such pifflebunk!

Back
Top Bottom