Second Pass at Enchanter Balance Changes

I haven't spent much time playing with new chanter (from the rework last year), but it's really really really awful that you are basically never be in a position to use cascading bond. with only one chimp target available it should always go on a DPS. there should really be a way to get it up on yourself.

I was a huge fan of old chanter. I know the new enchanter model is meant to a be a weird nuker, ocasional buffer (rather than a full time buffer with some times mezzing). It'd be nice if there was SOME way to get out the benifits of cascading bond in a group. it was one of the things that made it unique and fun to play chanter.

it could just activate when you cast bond on any person (it's in effect while the global bond cooldown is in effect). Maybe i could be tied to having debuffs out? or dots? i dunno. It would just be nice to have a reason to covet weird weapons and try to stay in melee. I'll keep playing around with it and see if i can find myself wanting to play nu chanter.

Personally, I'd love to just see Cascading Bond converted to a passive or made into an AA hotbutton. And yeah, if that means you have to re-scale a little bit of the bonus to balance it, that's fine. Same thing goes for separate AOD and Bond cooldowns (IMO).

but the people who played chanter don't seem to like it. the class was made awful.

I don't really care about the precise power level, though you should never balance a class around the literal top tier players' overpowered gear. that's retarded.

they should have put a cap on the damage, then made burger king crowns drop in each raid tier that elevated the cap to the level that the devs found acceptable. instead the class was molested into a weird nuker, debuffer, which is only brought along as a token curse. man, it reminds me of old festering curse necro heh.

but the people who played chanter don't seem to like it. the class was made awful.

I don't really care about the precise power level, though you should never balance a class around the literal top tier players' overpowered gear. that's retarded.

they should have put a cap on the damage, then made burger king crowns drop in each raid tier that elevated the cap to the level that the devs found acceptable. instead the class was molested into a weird nuker, debuffer, which is only brought along as a token curse. man, it reminds me of old festering curse necro heh.

The raid charm pets were actually a pretty broken response to many of the complaints in this thread, to the point I believe they've been rolled back a bit very recently. You're preaching to the choir here with me, but encs are still an ok class in raid and 6 man. If you're hard up on unboxed players, you can stack them better now since you can only mimic one target. Obviously the nukes are handicapped (rotating relic and the 60s nuke is kinda silly), but having two charm pets in optimal settings still packs a punch in a pinch. I don't like it any more than you do but the glory days are long gone and this is the new normal

did they not find it odd that LITERALLY no one who mained a chanter likes it?

I have a lot of non chanters telling me it (the old, good chanter) was a problem so we need the new one. but the new one is pants on head retarded. why didn't some numbers simply get tweaked? why didn't caps get put in place so top gear chanters couldn't harm the self asteem of the dps classes? why weren't more chanters asked how they liked things? (i know the answer to this one. the answer is that there were like 3 chanter mains. which sat at diferent gear levels so their screeching never quite lined up).

there were elements of good ideas in the revisions, but the old multi-chimp cycling system was 10,000% more fun than the new one-chimp nuker mutant we have today.

the situation seems to boil down to a number of problems:

1. the problems of 'bad at solo' (but who cares because shards has almost nothing worth doing solo at high level) was a moot, non issue. interestingly, the lake of ill omen bracer pet (but a lower level version) could have helped with this.

2. the problem of "top tier DPS feel bad because a chanter out dpses them with less gear" was fixable by tweaking numbers or installing caps. alternately those emotionally damaged DPS could have been offered a hug and a told they're good boys anyway. (my non snarky suggestion is just to put the added DPS onto the DPSers parse, not the chanter, so that they can feel fabulous and the chanter can avoid getting ruined as a class).

3. the problem of "i haven't had fun fucking with a class i don't understand lols lols lols" was also avoidable by just focusing on problem number 2.

4. (the only problem that was solved). Too many people are enjoying playing the game, so why don't we make their class awful so they quit. A++. worked like a charm.

Some of the dev work done to make the chromatic spells, tweak some of hte other lines were all great moves. could be salavaged and put back into a repaired chanter that isn't composed largely of analcranialitus.

I main an enc, and I find the changes to be okay or almost okay. My issues currently are:

1) Cascading bond seems pretty useless now. I never really liked that AA anyways so I am biased but I hope it changes soon.
2) Charm pets aren't as available as they should be if that's designed to be a significant source of DPS now, though this gets better over time.
3) Avatar of Destruction just sucks with the changes it seems. Now both runic spells are bad for encs. That sucks.

So really I am fine with the changes generally, but I wish a few of the issues that exist were solved.

I main an enc, and I find the changes to be okay or almost okay. My issues currently are:

1) Cascading bond seems pretty useless now. I never really liked that AA anyways so I am biased but I hope it changes soon.
2) Charm pets aren't as available as they should be if that's designed to be a significant source of DPS now, though this gets better over time.
3) Avatar of Destruction just sucks with the changes it seems. Now both runic spells are bad for encs. That sucks.

So really I am fine with the changes generally, but I wish a few of the issues that exist were solved.
that's a pretty reasonable take. i think if the changes had leaned MORE into cascading bond, made it just persistent, I'd of been less salty. I personally dislike 'nukers' (and really strait dps) and i'd rather be augmenting homies than casting nukes on things. I didn't make a chanter to nuke shit. i made a chanter to make my team better. If the number of bonds out at a time had been a lil higher, and less active nuking, and all cascading bond all the time. i'd of weathered whatever change just fine. I just can't find the joy of picking up my post-assault chanter , or wasting the time to level another class that will be changed from one thing, into another in a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom