Robes of Corruption

daenar_sod

Dalayan Elder
So I noticed when I wear this item on my Vah BST, i look like this to myself:

zCwAwME.jpg

however, when other people see me, I look more like:

0IahG0l.jpg

Is there anyway to fix this Robe for races such as Ogre, Troll, Barbarian, Vah Shir so that when wearing it it just has you with a bare chest instead of the above image? I find it funny too, cause my head is black, but the body is the default orange tiger look.

I'd ask to see if Vah could get robe graphics, but after watching Grinkles constantly try to change the meshes and stuff it just seems the hassle isn't worth it.

i wonder if its possible to set a default model for an item by race, so robes that are ogre/troll/vah wearable can get a leather graphic.... something worth looking it... with i was more familiar with how this server talks to itself.

this item sucks because knights aren't on it. How are you supposed to look stylish in robes if your class isn't on robes.

Nakedness and weird graphical quirks like these are the reason why ALL/ALL robes on Live were so scarce. One would often see robes with race listings like this:
Race: HUM ERU HIE DEF GNM IKS FRG

Why limit a piece of equipment to these specific races? Because even if a robe may have, say, CLR in the class listing, it wouldn't show up on a HFL CLR due to the Halfling lacking robe meshes. This wasn't a problem until the expansions began rolling in, which gradually expanded the "acceptability" of non-caster and non-Monk classes being able to don robes. A prime example is the nifty Kunark-era Burynai Legion Gi for Clerics, which can be viewed here.

It really is a shame they didn't go the extra mile and simply add in robes for every race. All that is needed is a wireframe and a mesh to map the stock robe textures over said wireframe. They even shortcutted their way for the Human-sized races (HUM ERU HIE DEF) by having all of those races utilize the same dimensions as the Human robe wireframe/mesh. Only Gnome, Iksar, and Frog robes are unique. Wood Elves ought to be the easiest to give robes to, as they are essentially Dark Elves minus the mullet; the data could presumably be copied and pasted wholesale from wherever Dark Elf robes come from.

If you want to lay blame somewhere for races like Trolls and Ogres lacking robes, I guess it's D&D's fault, as early Live's class/race restrictions on armor as well as weaponry were heavily influenced by that franchise.

Anyway, there is an alternative if the Powers That Be are inclined to "fix" this problem. By the release of Luclin, there were six robes that were conceivably wearable by robeless race/class combinations. This led the developers to implement a quest called Tunic Conversion in the Plane of Knowledge, whereby a player could hand one of these odd robes in to a tailor NPC who would then give them back an item with identical stats that also happened to use the leather texture instead. The item name was changed as well (e.g. Shade Silk Robe -> Shade Silk Tunic). This would allow players to retain the benefits of the item in question without having to go around bare-chested.

Such a thing could probably be put into our server if someone on the team were interested. There are plenty of "useless" houses in Newport, Underhill, Thurgadin, etc. where this master tailor NPC could be situated. Items could retain all stats and color schemes but simply be changed to use leather, chain, or platemail textures. The renaming convention from the Live quest could be followed (e.g. Robe of the Prophet -> Tunic of the Prophet). The turn-in may benefit from being reversible, though this isn't necessary. Basically, I envision item entries being copied and pasted with only two fields changed: name and texture.

Also...
Ogre with robes!

For you:
EruditewithOgreFace_zps7464072d.jpg

Wow, I don't remember there being a robe conversion quest during PoP at all, that is pretty cool.

I'm not even sure how I knew about it in the first place, given that I never did the quest. I see the rare ALL/ALL Guardian Robe from Velious is listed. Reminds me of how I once spent several days there on my level ~30 Wood Elf Bard tagging along with high-enders there to loot one of the robes if it were to drop. Sure enough, one guy who was farming there solo (I can't imagine how) called me over to a corpse eventually and told me to loot up. I was ecstatic, and it went well with my Dark Elf mask. I never felt so cool at the time! :cool:

I used to get Shaina's Nightie for all of my characters. Was just a cool, obscure, unique item.

Also it was all/all. Who wouldn't want to me my sexy Troll in a slinky nightie? RIP Fungly Troll (my 14yr old self orignal toon name)

Did they change the lore on her nightie? I could swear it originally said "You killed a little girl for this."

Back
Top Bottom