Race Lifespans

Serania

Dalayan Adventurer
Hey. I'm just wondering if anyone has a general idea of the longevity of the various races. I'm mostly wondering about halflings at the moment for character backstories. The in game year if canon means that almost no human adventurers still active would be alive during the return let alone the first invasion. I'm just wondering how the young races may compare.

I always thought that the trolls. ogres, iksar, and barbarians should use the halflings and gnomes as a food supply.

I'm sure the giantkin already do eat smaller races if they get a chance. I just hope that doesn't mean they live forever.

Everyone living on SoD is immortal. Obviously.

Ignoring that for a minute we can borrow from other fantasy worlds to make up some numbers. Some fairly standard fantasy estimates would be:

Less than human life expectancy: beasts and big people
Froglok
Barbarian
Ogre - die young, stay pretty
Vah

Human-ish life expectancy: a century give or take a few decades
Humans - duh
Halflings
Gnomes - maybe longer, the race varies quite a bit source to source
Erudites

Good for a few centuries:
Dwarves
Half Elves - maybe? they could go in any category you like really

Millenia? Eons? Forever?
High Elves
Dark Elves
Wood Elves

Wild Cards:
Trolls & Iksar - either less than humans or essentially immortal but mortality rates so high it only matters for a few individuals

I'm honestly not sure about frogloks. Whatever it is though the lifespan is probably markedly different than the Taldorians. The old world frogs are bastard cousins of the Taldorians, who have presumably been altered by someone (and Mielech seems a likely candidate, given that he already has a bunch of undead ones hanging around, and y'know, they hate that name). Taldorians probably have lifespans that are around that of the Akheva and Ysthar, and really probably depends on exactly how good Malath got at making dudes. Unless there is some previously unknown bladerunner expiration date stance on them.

It's strange to think about lifespans in Dalaya because it entails removing oneself from the deeply-ingrained game mechanics we know so well and take for granted. "Living" in a digital realm where a single character can die 1,993 times (as in my case) and still be kicking involves such a prolonged suspension of disbelief that it actually becomes weirder to imagine our characters as mortal than it does to think of them as immortal! I'd better turn back for air before I plunge too deep thinking about this. o_O

Back
Top Bottom