Patcher visuals update - volunteering

Wesell

Dalayan Elder
I really love the great design work that has gone into the web site, but the patcher needs some lovin’.

I’d like to update the look of the SoD patcher to bring it in line with the nice visuals on the web site. Maybe also do some minor work (keep files.txt from getting corrupted or automatically recover and display a list of changes after a patch). Of course it’s up to Wiz whether or not he wants any functionality of the patcher touched.

Anyway, I’d like to go from this
sodiconnowgu5.jpg

sodpatchernowsz3.jpg

To something like this
drafticonet4.jpg

draftpatcherxn1.jpg

I’d really love an even better look for the patcher, so if Wiz is agreeable to the idea of me doing to coding maybe someone who actually, I don’t know… works in/went to school for/has some talent in design could probably post a really great design.

Wiz, I can be contacted by PM or email or just 'ya know respond to this thread. :dance: (Thanks.)

go with a theme that matches the site's favicon:
favicon.ico

i've got the favicon extracted and saved in png at a larger pixel area, resampled, not resized, if an artist wishes for me to send it to them, but my web site dies in less than a week, so i can't actually host anything, and don't feel like going through photobucket/similar hassles.

SlicerSV said:
go with a theme that matches the site's favicon

Good idea Slicer. I hadn't thought about the site's favicon.

Dzillon said:
Since yo useem able to make this, maybe send a link of your work here and make it listed in Updated SoD related websites - Must have list . If it's stable I don't see why it wouldn't become the official patcher. Anyway it looks great !

I'm not going to release an unofficial patcher because I don't want the tech support forums to look like:

Posted by: Noobie88 - I can't get SoD to run. I ran the patcher, but now the game crashes when I do X.

Reply by: Player33 - Did you use the official patcher or the unofficial patcher? Try doing a complete patch with one then the other.

I don't want to add any confusion to the patch process, which currently is almost 100% reliable. The only patcher I would release would be one based on the existing code-base and staff approved.

If you could add in a function that patches eqgame.exe's affinity to CPU 0 that would really help those with multiple processor set-ups.

I can use the windows API function SetProcessAffinityMask to set the processor affinity for eqgame.exe on if you launch it directly from the patcher, but it's probably not possible to set the processor affinity for eqgame.exe reliably from the patcher if you're launching eqw.exe.

Back
Top Bottom