North Kaladim

darksabbath

Dalayan Master
Recently, a friend and I were looking for a different place to hunt with our lvl 42 alts. We decided to try out North Kaladim, because we had easily out-grown South Kaladim, and it seemed an under-used zone for exp-ing. We soon found out why. We were both two-boxxing, and have some twinkage going on, of course. Group was originally a pally, druid, ranger, wizzie, all level 42. Wizzie eventually got swapped out for a cleric, to add healing power.

Imagine our surprise when we ran into the a murdered paladin mobs in NK. These mobs conned even to yellow, so level 42-44 is the level range on them, at most. The melee damage was not excessive, but the spell cast by them was. They cast Bond of Death, a lvl 49 necro/62sk spell that does 150 lifetap a tick, for 5 ticks (total 750 damage). A spell well above the mobs level (minor detail, no big deal really), that has a big (200) negative resist. At that level, most toons are unlikely to be able to resist it. Heck, they could even land it on my bst, and hes has over 200 unbuffed MR. My 42 pally has about 2k unbuffed hp, according to fomelo, so this spell easily takes a third of my hp each time it lands. Even after we swapped the cleric in, we frequently had a hard time not running out of mana by a fights end, especially since there is several duo-pulls that are hard to avoid.
Now, if I recall, the lesser (lvl 29 necro) version of this spell, Vampiric Curse is used by the a royal guard, so giving them a lower version doesn't seem feasable. So, what I propose is giving them a different spell, such as the sk buff spells of Shroud of Death or Shroud of the Leech. Alternatively, a new spell could be created, call it Bond of Demise. It would be a level 39 necro/60 sk spell that took off 90 per tick, a decent mid-ground between them.

This would bring the zone more in-line with the hp's of the levels that would hunt there, and therefore make it another zone option to exp in.

I had to do those guys for my blackscale aug, even at level 65 I couldnt do more then 3 without getting heals. Those little buggers hurt and I can get to 8958hps with buffs on.

Been in there a bit myself, and it is not tank friendly. Best strat was to root-dot with shaman/necro type. Even with my main (64 Shaman) I still have to go in there and stay in my shoes, not go all willy-nilly and get pwned.

If you prance around all nimbly bimbly it's not so much of an issue though. And by that I mean if you have a 65 healer bot standing there.

I'm not so much in favor of implimenting a new spell, as from what i've heard, spells are like gold to devs. However, maybe it would be possible to change the spells they cast to say, a stun or DD coupled with a self heal.

Yeah, wasn't certain a new spell would be something they'd want to do. The best solution, imo, would be Shroud of Leech. It would give the mobs a chance to proc a 125pt lifetap. It stays in line with them being sk mobs, without making them so over-powered, as they are now.

There's one by himself, by the mine entrance. But if you go up, and behind the cleric guild, the hallway there is just filled with the jerks.

There's one by himself, by the mine entrance. But if you go up, and behind the cleric guild, the hallway there is just filled with the jerks.

Yes, I was thinking about the guy by the bank. The others are easily avoidable. You literally have to be going to their area to encounter them. I don't know that they need a major overhaul. They are definitely challenging. But I have not hunted there for EXP in quite some time. I can see how the guy near the bank is a gatekeeper of sorts. He seems tougher than most others in the zone.

With all due respect, if you haven't tried hunting for exp there is so long, are your really a competent voice concerning these mobs? I mean several ppl in the thread have stated how these mobs can be an issue for 64/65's. It seems a mob that is level 42-44 at best should not be able to put up such a strong fight for a PC 20 levels above it. The guy at the old bank isn't any easier or tougher than the others.
And yes, the murdered paladins could be avoided, but it doesn't leave a lot in the zone to fight that way. And at the time, the betrayer was up, and we wanted to go see if our adept-hunting alts could take him on.
Is it really a "major overhaul" to change one spell, that is over-powered for a mob of that level?

With all due respect, if you haven't tried hunting for exp there is so long, are your really a competent voice concerning these mobs?

It is just my opinion. I do hunt there frequently with my Paladin to farm ectoplasm. I am not trying to torpedo anyone, I just have a different perspective.

Last edited:
I have two 57's there killing them now (Knotpit and Loterpot). This may be my new, favorite EXP area.

it was my char's with darksabbath's chars that day. all chars were very well equipped and we were amazed how hard it was for our group. granted, maybe for your duo that is 13 levels above the average mob in that zone it works great, but for chars that are in the level range of the mobs, it is unusually difficult. we have fought in deep paw against mobs about the same level and they were not nealy as difficult. heck, if you think you do well in north kaladim with your 57's, take them to deep paw and watch them rack up the exp faster against mobs that prolly give the same exp but for a lot less of a fight.

Nuvian

but for chars that are in the level range of the mobs,

All mobs are dark blue to these characters. I don't understand why you think they are not "in the level range". Since I respect darksabbath, I took the effort to look a little closer at the zone due to his criticism. Is it just possible you guys just had a bad day? Or, perhaps the zone is designed for higher level characters?

You don't think 750pt lifetap dot is excessive for the level of the mob though? That same day, we moved off from them to to specs/wraiths instead, and gained similar exp in far less time. We could kill three of those, at least, for every one murdered paladin we had fought. And do it in a "safer" outside zone. The specs lifetap and stun, and were still not nearly the trouble to kill.
Not certain how well geared your 2 lvl 57's are, I haven't fomeloed them yet. (I'll do it later, while I am bored at work.) But I know my pally, Awlson is pretty well geared, and my druid Nellon has over 2k mana (unbuffed) easy.

I think what Nuv was trying to say, if you try other zones that are supposed to be in the the same level range, you'll find far less fight for the same amount of xp gained.

I'll twink that cleric you used out in DM if that will help!

Honestly, this zone is a pain. I remember when Caer was in there for some quest, and I went to help him out, since at 65, it was extremely annoying to do solo. That was when he was a fresh 65, obviously, but still.

I always considered the paladin guild to be like Neriak. Just don't go there, because someone doesn't want you to be there. It would be nice if that section was available for folks to hunt with similiar advantage to disadvantage ratios on the mobs. I have always considered them overpowered considering they drop normal dwarf ghost loot.

It wouldn't be so bad if the mobs actually obeyed the casting time for the spell. As it is, I think (been a while since I went there) it's like an instant cast for them which is ridiculous. If it were a 7 second cast time as it is for players that at least cuts down on the time they are doing melee damage and gives a chance to interrupt.

I would recommend giving them Lifedraw (level 30 SK spell) or Siphon Life (level 51 SK spell) with appropriate cast times as those fall closer to their level. The insta-DoT/heal of 750 dmg from a level 40-something mob is a bit excessive. Not only doing 750 damage, but soaking back 750 hp's from the player? Too much.

I'm not on Blackscale or Silver Crown or Althuna faction and I've done my warrior Thurg from there. I need nothing from that place. I'm simply advocating for a change to the apparently overpowered paladins.

As designer of this zone, they are indeed not meant to have a DOT that powerful and should be knocked down to vampiric curse.

Back
Top Bottom