Newport Ring Quests

Considering the rings can be finished off by a level 55

A highly twinked 55 that has no need of the final reward, sure. I duoed the final step over the course of maybe a couple hours (?) or a few hours with my 57 paladin and magician, and they were not poorly geared in the slightest (magician had better than DI 3.5). Even then, I needed outside help for the final boss.

I think the foci are actually right on target.

See what Salarus said, also throw in the fact that it is really easy to buy a comparable or better focus

Actually, that sash from Spectral Hunter should be nerfed back to Heal Inc 2, to be in-line with other focus effects handed out at that level. That sash, and huntfang's boots, are the only 3's given out in mid-20's, the rest are 1's or 2's.
I would like to know the cheap heal 4 and 5 items you speak of, the only ones I can think of are 3-5k, at least, some of them are closer to 7-8k for really good stats with it. Not allot of non-twinks that are affording that. Yes, you could spend a couple days (or a week) farming the cash, or you could spend a day or so doing the ring quests, and most of the steps have nice xp handed out. Damage 5 is, sadly enough, fairly cheap to get, yes. Perhaps the final rings should be bumped to 4.5 instead? And certainly add some hp/mana, and a small bump to overall stats.

A highly twinked 55 that has no need of the final reward, sure. I duoed the final step over the course of maybe a couple hours (?) or a few hours with my 57 paladin and magician, and they were not poorly geared in the slightest (magician had better than DI 3.5). Even then, I needed outside help for the final boss.

Ever think about getting a group together for the last guy? Considering our class of adept killers sitting at 55, it isn't hard to swing, at least it wasn't for me last time. And both of my toons completed the quest to wear the piece, not just to have it done.

As per time it takes: i'm currently in the process of re doing the ring quests - having done it (I actually mis counted before) 8 previous times to completion. I am doing it on a non-twinked char, boxing another non twinked char (both 55 with 70ish aa's) and one of them is a druid so I have all the ports i need to speed this up as much as possible.

I am going to find out how long it roughly takes, then farm for the same amount of time.

As per items:

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Book_of_the_Healing_Flame

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Gloves_of_Bloodied_Mercy

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Sacrileged_Armplates_of_Battle (for clerics)

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Beautifully_Fungus-etched_Robe

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Bracelet_of_the_Curate

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Vambraces_of_Convalescence

Don't forget, the 40-49 tmaps yeild a heal 4 ear. Traek yeilds a heal 5 stick.

As per the cost of these items, i'm not current on the market, but i'd imagine these items go for somewhere between 2k-10k depending on the item. At 55 with some AA it's really not too hard to farm good cash. Miel B/early sorcs lab come to mind, or just vendoring deep paw loot.

A couple years back I made the argument for 4.5 heal/dmg inc. It didn't bite. I'm not proposing anything in stone - just tossing out ideas for outdated items from a really cool quest line. 4.5 with increased stats would be good. I still think they could use a little more flavor, but really anything at this point will help them.

Considering the rings can be finished off by a level 55, I think the foci are actually right on target.
Ever think about getting a group together for the last guy?
You are arguing two different scenarios here. I also don't like your tone implying that I refuse to group this (I have, many times, with new players. It's fun. It's also difficult and time consuming.)
Considering our class of adept killers sitting at 55, it isn't hard to swing, at least it wasn't for me last time.
And how about the other times? I don't remember this being easy unless a 65 was involved, whether with buffs/indirect healing or with direct tanking/healing.
And both of my toons completed the quest to wear the piece, not just to have it done.
Presumably, your characters are not the megatwinks that I said would be the ones to solo this quest and not need the ring after. Also, what archetypes were your characters? We were debating the value of the foci on the caster and priest rings, right? I most certainly wear the ring on my paladin and wore it on my rogue -- but those are the least dubious of the rings (read Salarus' post), and it's also well known that I don't buy gear, ever. Maybe slightly less well known is that I'm willing to do the most ridiculous of timesinks for the least amount of reward; yet, I almost immediately bagged the ring on my enchanter and magician, and I haven't even bothered to do the quest on my wizard.

Last edited:
Actually, that sash from Spectral Hunter should be nerfed back to Heal Inc 2, to be in-line with other focus effects handed out at that level. That sash, and huntfang's boots, are the only 3's given out in mid-20's, the rest are 1's or 2's.
K you go make that thread, I have enough aggro as is from all the fuckheads who will not let go of a certain spell getting rightfully nerfed.

Perhaps the final rings should be bumped to 4.5 instead? And certainly add some hp/mana, and a small bump to overall stats.
okay so you think the foci could use a bump? awesome, so do I

As per time it takes: i'm currently in the process of re doing the ring quests - having done it (I actually mis counted before) 8 previous times to completion. I am doing it on a non-twinked char, boxing another non twinked char (both 55 with 70ish aa's) and one of them is a druid so I have all the ports i need to speed this up as much as possible.

I am going to find out how long it roughly takes, then farm for the same amount of time.

As per items:

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Book_of_the_Healing_Flame

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Gloves_of_Bloodied_Mercy

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Sacrileged_Armplates_of_Battle (for clerics)

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Beautifully_Fungus-etched_Robe

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Bracelet_of_the_Curate

http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Vambraces_of_Convalescence

Don't forget, the 40-49 tmaps yeild a heal 4 ear. Traek yeilds a heal 5 stick.

As per the cost of these items, i'm not current on the market, but i'd imagine these items go for somewhere between 2k-10k depending on the item. At 55 with some AA it's really not too hard to farm good cash. Miel B/early sorcs lab come to mind, or just vendoring deep paw loot.

A couple years back I made the argument for 4.5 heal/dmg inc. It didn't bite. I'm not proposing anything in stone - just tossing out ideas for outdated items from a really cool quest line. 4.5 with increased stats would be good. I still think they could use a little more flavor, but really anything at this point will help them.

Gloves are 4-5k, minimum
Robe was 10-12k last I saw it sold
Armplates are 2-3k, I think

The rest I haven't seen sold in forever. Never found people to do 40's tmaps with, everyone just bum-rushes robots to get into their 50's. And I have horrid luck with getting loots of the 55+ adepts.

@Rykke: My level 55's when I did it last, I boxxed sk and druid, and I brought along a 55 cleric, a 56 bst, and one other I can't recall at the moment. Yes, two classes who get nice use from the rings, and still have them on atm, thanks. I don't recall a bunch of tradeable rings with +alt on them.

The biggest problem of boosting the effect, is that then you'll need to boost the tank/dps rings, and those are fairly solid as is.

Gloves are 4-5k, minimum
Robe was 10-12k last I saw it sold
Armplates are 2-3k, I think

The rest I haven't seen sold in forever. Never found people to do 40's tmaps with, everyone just bum-rushes robots to get into their 50's. And I have horrid luck with getting loots of the 55+ adepts.

@Rykke: My level 55's when I did it last, I boxxed sk and druid, and I brought along a 55 cleric, a 56 bst, and one other I can't recall at the moment. Yes, two classes who get nice use from the rings, and still have them on atm, thanks. I don't recall a bunch of tradeable rings with +alt on them.

The biggest problem of boosting the effect, is that then you'll need to boost the tank/dps rings, and those are fairly solid as is.

I think this is a good idea, the effect on the ring doesn't really making it worth using at the level you get it.

From what I've seen recently:
book 3.5-5k
gloves 3.5-5k
bracer 7-8k
robe 7-12k
vambraces 4-6k

The problem you are all debating are arbitrary. Comparing these things to those things for this and that level is all in your opinions on what is better and what will last. In the end you need more empirical data such as number of 55-65 toon that have done the quest vs haven't and then those that haven't look at why they didn't.

In the end the stats and foci for it don't really matter that if people still do the quest, it is a free reward for your time and effort. Some people prefer to buy the best gear and some earn it. As a fresh toon x3 I did the quest and used the reward well into raiding, no its not the best available but it works, I much prefered using that until I got raid drop x, and used my pp for other more important slots/foci/charm/augs/resist gear/etc

The problem you are all debating are arbitrary. Comparing these things to those things for this and that level is all in your opinions on what is better and what will last. In the end you need more empirical data such as number of 55-65 toon that have done the quest vs haven't and then those that haven't look at why they didn't.

In the end the stats and foci for it don't really matter that if people still do the quest, it is a free reward for your time and effort. Some people prefer to buy the best gear and some earn it. As a fresh toon x3 I did the quest and used the reward well into raiding, no its not the best available but it works, I much prefered using that until I got raid drop x, and used my pp for other more important slots/foci/charm/augs/resist gear/etc

One of the main points I have made, and you seem to be missing is it requires less time at the same or less difficulty to farm for better items in contrast with completing this quest.

I've done this ring 8 times, the tank one I used for a little unless i'm buying gear, in which case it's gone.

The dps ring I used for a little, but this was pre iksith so if I were to buy rings, I wouldn't waste my time.

The healer caster ring i've never used, the healer ring I hardly touched.

Point still stands, the time sink versus reward is out of balance in contrast for what you could attain much easier otherwise.

A very flawed point you are making here is that you could "use your pp for other things and still do this." Since it takes less time to farm the platinum to buy better items that negate the focus effect on this ring for casters/healers, instead of doing this ring just farm more platinum. That way, you can still keep your other platinum for "augs/charms etc" and actually still have more, with a better item, for the same amount of time invested.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying but not everybody farms the plat at your rate or with your efficiency or even had the experience to know hey instead of spending xxx amount of time questing this ring that is better than I am wearing I could darn zone yyy for zzz and get this ring that is better instead.

In the end it all comes down to preference and play styles I think a bigger thing to look at is how many people do this quest vs skip it instead of this quest reward vs buy able gear.

If we get to the quest vs but able I would be more in favor of nerfing iksith dropables stats, as they have pretty much negated most things pre Ikkisith.

I understand what you are saying but not everybody farms the plat at your rate or with your efficiency or even had the experience to know hey instead of spending xxx amount of time questing this ring that is better than I am wearing I could darn zone yyy for zzz and get this ring that is better instead.

Nor do people do the newport ring anywhere near as fast as I do.

In the end it all comes down to preference and play styles I think a bigger thing to look at is how many people do this quest vs skip it instead of this quest reward vs buy able gear.

If we get to the quest vs but able I would be more in favor of nerfing iksith dropables stats, as they have pretty much negated most things pre Ikkisith.

Were the latter the case, I would still argue two, if not three of these rings would still need a bump. Pre iksith I posted about the lack luster healer/caster ring. I'm pretty sure I can say that there is a standing precedent on this server of having quest rewards be a little better, in some cases a lot better (lol tmap rewards) or at least comparable with items obtainable at roughly the same level, and/or for roughly the same difficulty.

Making the focus effects 4.5 and tossing a few stats/saves out puts these as something that would at the very least be in line with how quests seem to be designed.

I solo'd the whole quest with my first char, a non-twinked lvl 55 druid, with the exception of part 4 (king's pass). I did this with 3 other people my level, and it was a breeze.

At 55, the ring is great (I had healing inc 3, so it was a small upgrade), but at 65 it got replaced lightning quick. D maps give healing inc 4 and 5 items, and a ring that has more mana. Any and all raid rings will be an upgrade, and nowadays you can also get a seed, which takes about 2 hours to pass the 55 mana mark. Druids can buy a razorleif for 400pp, with heal 5, each class can get the bp from cmal which has heal 4, traek stick is heal 5, the newport ring simply doesnt hold up.

I now have millions of alts. I have done the quest for all of my tanks b/c 2 damage redux and 3 aggro is amazing, and my dps chars for the + atk. I have not, and do not plan on ever doing it for an int caster. damage inc 4 is even easier to get than heal 4 (lvl 50 simple maps give it, or spend 10pp on the ToT trash sash).
I
t seems to me that upgrading the focus effects to 4.5 would be reasonable, and if it takes a 6th quest to get it then that's fine. but as it stands now, healers and casters kind of get shafted on this

When i'm home from work i'm actually going to be posting what I think the changes should be based off feedback from this thread. I'll post exact stats: but for now would everyone agree on the following being in line:

4.5 mods for healer/caster and +1 channeling

+1 double attack mod to tank ring

+1 Crit strike for melee

Stat/hp/mana/resist upgrades slightly for all rings.

I haven't seen a razorlief go for less that 1.5k yet.. auctions for split still often goto 2k or more. ToT trash sash might vendor at 5-10pp, but usually is sold at 500-1k price. But yes, it is still silly easy to acquire.

If you are going to bump the focus, and add channeling to casters, then the melee should all get the + crit 1, and the +DA for tanks, while +DW or +Off for DPS.

The risk vs reward is probably fair, right? Maybe it should have another quest added that is more difficult and rewards with a better ring.

The risk vs reward is probably fair, right? Maybe it should have another quest added that is more difficult and rewards with a better ring.

One of the main points I have made, and you seem to be missing is it requires less time at the same or less difficulty to farm for better items in contrast with completing this quest.

If you are trying to argue the actual difficulty of the mobs in contrast with the reward, it is both easier (less risky mobs in less risky zones) and less time consuming to farm platinum to yield a better reward in contrast with completeting this quest line.

Another step in the quest is not a bad idea - but there is not a whole lot of spare dev time for someone to do it.

Another step in the quest is not a bad idea - but there is not a whole lot of spare dev time for someone to do it.

I really like this idea, as I have previously said in this thread... this thread that has turned slightly less than civil with a lot of old fartery (back in my day we had to run uphill to Plaguelands both ways and wore that ring until T10- and we liked it that way!).

Given the Devs limited time would it be possible to:

Hold a content creation contest?!
Made a thread for people to post their ideas for Newport Ring 6 that must include the storyline, zones, encounters, etc... and the best-est idea wins fame (1/10000th of a race change) or item or something.

That this is not a regular thing on SoD perplexes me.

Back
Top Bottom